Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine 4 stroke (including EFI & Exhaust)

Enduro Engine 4 stroke (including EFI & Exhaust) 4 stroke engine, EFI, and exhaust discussion

Old 07-20-2013, 06:46 PM

Default FSR450 clutch probs.

Hi, I recently purchased a second hand 2007 FSR 450. After some initial
set backs the bike goes great. Lately when you accelerate quickly it seems as though
It's reving more without going faster, than it's as if it "grabs" and takes off.
I did a search here but couldn't see what I needed.
Any suggestions appreciated.
Thanks
Graham

Old 07-21-2013, 10:50 AM
Site Sponsor

Default FSR clutch

I would pull the clutch apart & check the plates . If the steels are turning blue from over heating it is probably slipping. If the fiber plates are Glazed & hard baked / turning black its slipping .If these conditions are present you need to replace the plates .I am assuming that it has the standard clutch in it .The 05's had an Adler slipper clutch in them & they feel like they slip a little & tighten up the harder you accellerate. I shimmed the springs on my 05 to give it a bit more of a solid grab .I stopped carrying four strokes after the 2005 models they were ok I still have the bike we used as a demo .but the 03/04's put us through hell . If the plates look great I would at least try some barnett springs if it is the standard clutch . The adler has only three springs and it really helps to have the special bolts to hold the assembly together when remoing it. One thing about the Adler is that it has the softest pull of any bike I know of .Its weird at first but once you get used to it it's nice.
Old 09-29-2013, 06:53 AM

I've had clutch slip problems in my 08 515 too. I bought some clutch plates and some washers to preload the 3 larger springs. The new plates are exactly the same thickness as the old ones so I decided to try the washers first. The bike has motard wheels on and I took it up a mountain road yesterday and the problem seems to be fixed. I didn't measure the washers but I think they are about 1.5 - 2mm thick.

Of course adding preload means that more pressure is required to make the clutch slip under deceleration, which is ok on the road. I don't know why gasgas used these clutches because they are useless in the dirt.