Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine 4 stroke (including EFI & Exhaust)

Enduro Engine 4 stroke (including EFI & Exhaust) 4 stroke engine, EFI, and exhaust discussion

Old 10-21-2013, 08:15 PM
Super Moderator

Flip the subframe up. It'll pull the boot off the carb (once loosened).

Good points re air intake/restriction that could make some difference. However lack of power under load screms lean to me.

Old 10-22-2013, 12:15 PM

Flipping the subframe was key. Thanks
Old 12-03-2013, 09:49 AM

OK...sent the carb off to zip ty racing to do their mods.

They clean them put in an emulsion tube and some other minimal things.

They put my pilot from a 42 to a 45, and left my main at 180. Changed the squirter adjustment by the throttle cables from 2 to 3 turns. They cleaned things but the jets were older and not shiny smooth, more on that later.

To remove the carb I took off the tank and then flipped the subframe. Oh my what a pain in the Husqvarna. Was a great opportunity to reroute a bunch of stuff to get it off the engine which makes me happy.

When I sent it off there was no bog whatsoever but a real lack of power. When coming back it had the typical YZ bog. Now frustrated I started playing with the squirter adjustment and fuel screw. I replaced the main with a 178 since it was brand new and I have seen cleaned out older jets just not perform like the shiney newer ones even smaller ones. I put the squirter back to 2 turns, did the oring mod while there, and finally landed from 2 turn out on the fuel screw to 3.75 and I have to try real hard to get it to bog. It runs MUCH better but not quite at the YZ level. Enough to get my wife in trouble that is for sure.

Soooo my real question is if I went to a 48 on the pilot should I be able to close down on the fuel screw with no adverse effects to the bog? The other idea is to go 180 or 182 on the main and I should be able to close down on the fuel screw some. I does run real good up top so I think I am supposed to go with the bigger pilot. Just checking since changing things is so very hard. Technically a bigger pilot should give me more off idle torque long as I am not too rich...correct?

Thanks

Steve

Obviously it was sooo gummed up in there it just couldn't get the power out of the motor I am guessing.

Additionally I don't mind being a little lean on top now since it won't be ridden until it is warmer, and my wife will spend zero time at WOT...only when I ride it.
Old 12-03-2013, 06:49 PM
Site Sponsor

I would make sure your cam timing is set for yz specs and not wr specs.
On the jetting I would go with the 48 pilot, that should get your fuel screw back down to the 1-3 turns out area. If you have it jetted good but still have a bog when you wack the throttle I would change your leak down jet. Remember this is the opposite of what you would normally think of on jetting. If you want it to shoot more fuel you have to install a smaller jet and if you want it to shoot less fuel you install a larger jet.

Old 12-03-2013, 07:20 PM

I have read where some have changed the leakdown jet to a 40 with good success. Due to my unfamiliarity with the leakdown jet I have stayed away. I tried to do some looking but didn't find much. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-03-2013, 07:38 PM

BTW...I have a YZ cam not a repurposed WR advanced.
Old 12-03-2013, 11:02 PM
Super Moderator

What rosco said.

Start with the larger pilot and see how you go. The main thing I've noticed on the 4 strokes is that when the pilot is rich they can be a right pain in the anoos to start when hot. I assume they have the hot start lever like yamaha. Ideally I try to get the bike to fire hot without the hotstart, and save it for the flooded moments.

Loads of info on how to remove the yamaha bog. Leak jets and AP squirt timing. Get to know them well and take the time to set it up properly. You'll be rewarded.
Old 12-04-2013, 07:34 AM

OK Jake/Rosco...thanks

Now go enjoy that new ride!
Old 12-04-2013, 09:49 AM

lol...I actually have a Quickshot 3 on this which is an adjustable leak jet.

Sometimes my ignorance makes me laugh and cry at the same time.
Old 12-04-2013, 12:43 PM

OK

Now that I call Boyesen and now understand how the quickshot 3 is actually working (didn't have the instructions because it came with the bike) I set it to a leak jet of 50-58 I am guessing.

Put the squirter back at 2.5 turns out, and I will say it runs pretty dang good. I know the neighbors have to be hating me about this time.

I would have to ride it back to back with the YZ250f but it is safe to say it will too much for the wife now when she grabs a handful of throttle. It will however, make a great back up bike for me once I take that Kouba link out of the back linkage. Thanks for the help and suggestions everyone.