Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 09-06-2013, 09:27 PM

Ok guys I'm new to GG enduros. Had several trials. Anyway....I picked up a sweet 2010 ec300. Hands down the best bike I have owned. That's a long list too. To include Ktm 200, Ktm 300, husqvarna wr300,
Anyway the first ride on it it made a strange "silencer fell off" sound. So google brought me here. Lol so I pulled the powervalve assembly for cleaning. I was reading about the side to side play. And how I can stick. I noticed something that caught my eye. When I was removing the pv lever plate the nut was loose. It was barely touching the washer. Then during installation I snugged it down. Checked the operation by hand. About 3 out of 10 times the plate wouldn't return all the way. I backed the nut off just a tad. Just to take pressure off. Worked perfect!! So if your plate isn't sitting on the stop check this first.

Also I noticed a tad bit of side to side play. I was reading about some washer on the left side. I found some perfect washers at work. I put one between the bearings on the left side. Still a tad of play. So I put one more but it was too much, I removed one and installed the Allen head and washer that keeps the bearing in. Then I very lighty peened the washer right where the edge of the bearing is. I kept checking it until I got the desired pressure on the bearing without binding. 👍

Old 04-11-2014, 09:04 AM

My bike was making a rattling sound last time I rode it. I pulled the upper PV cover off expecting to find it out of adjustment. However the plate is against the stop. But the actuator rod is VERY loose. I noticed that upper nut was backed off and the washer behind it had a lot of room to move.

How tight should that upper nut be? If I take to where it even feels snug (NOT tight just snug) the rod binds and plate doesn't spring back on its own. Does that mean the lower bell crank nut is loose?

Yes my bike is filthy. I have no outside water right now, my hose line froze and broke this winter.

Thanks.
Old 04-11-2014, 09:20 AM

i would take a guess the nylock on the nut it no good, its torque is something tiny like 6nm. I put a new nut on mine last night when doing the piston. I would imagine you need a new nut.
Old 04-11-2014, 09:23 AM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Thumbs up

To Pinittowinit:
The small "spacer washer" is located right behind the powervalve bracket (looking at the right end of the pv assembly).
You can see the spacer in Jiikoo811's photo posted in this thread.
It is a relatively expensive spacer, coming from GG; but if one uses a different spacer with a too large o.d. it can cause the bracket to stick as things are tightened up.

To Coop:
One should always replace the aircraft style 5mm locking nut (nyloc nut) after removing it. That way, it will never "back off" by itself (due to motion and vibration).
As a matter of fact, when removing the nut, one should apply a bit of heat from a small propane torch, or other focused heat source, to get the locking nut to let go and unscrew without damaging the powervalve bracket. (The 5mm stud often comes loose from the pv bracket if one does not apply heat.)
The nuts are much cheaper than the pv brackets.
I buy these nuts by the 100 count sack, to allow me to sell them relatively cheaply.

Good Wrenching and Good Riding!
Jim
'11 Gas Gas EC250 (primary ride)
'06 Gas Gas DE300
2004 Gas Gas TXT300 Pro
'94 Husaberg FE350
'86 Yamaha IT200
'86 Honda TRL200 Reflex
'04 KTM 525EXC (soon to be dual sported)
Several others, including project bikes, Deb's bike, and a fleet of grandkids' bikes

Let's go riding!
http://www.jebruns.com/Wudi19/wudi19.html
http://www.ahrma.org/schedules-results/cross-country/
Old 04-11-2014, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cook View Post

To Coop:
One should always replace the aircraft style 5mm locking nut (nyloc nut) after removing it. That way, it will never "back off" by itself (due to motion and vibration).
As a matter of fact, when removing the nut, one should apply a bit of heat from a small propane torch, or other focused heat source, to get the locking nut to let go and unscrew without damaging the powervalve bracket. (The 5mm stud often comes loose from the pv bracket if one does not apply heat.)
The nuts are much cheaper than the pv brackets.
I buy these nuts by the 100 count sack, to allow me to sell them relatively cheaply.

Good Wrenching and Good Riding!
Jim
Thanks Johnny and Jim.

I've never removed it but do not know what any previous owner has done. I will replace it but I still need to know how tight it should be lol. I don't believe that rod should be nearly as loose as it was before I snugged it back up. I'll try the torque Johnny said when I get a new one.

Edit: I replaced the nut and tightened it as suggested. After speaking with BoomBoom (forum member and very knowledgeable GG guy) I believe my rattle is coming from the pipe o-rings. I think Jakobi also said his does that when it's time to change them. It is very easy to remove the pipe so I think they are worn.

Last edited by Coop; 04-11-2014 at 11:15 AM.
Old 04-11-2014, 12:27 PM

O rings are a service item. Wont last forever.
Old 04-11-2014, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber Jonny View Post
I realize that. I just originally thought the rattle was coming from the PV so I didn't suspect the rings at first.

Thanks for the help folks.
Old 04-11-2014, 05:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber Jonny View Post
Viton o-rings can be sourced from McMaster and Carr, O-Ring, 3 mm Width, 44 mm ID

Sent from my SGH-T999L using Tapatalk
Old 04-12-2014, 10:58 AM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coop View Post
Thanks Johnny and Jim.

Edit: I replaced the nut and tightened it as suggested.
I don't torque the 5mm locking nut, but rather simply take out the play or extra space/slack between the nut and the linkage rod. That is the reason for the locking style nut. (It won't back off, even though it is not torqued against the rod.)

'11 Gas Gas EC250 (primary ride)
'06 Gas Gas DE300
2004 Gas Gas TXT300 Pro
'94 Husaberg FE350
'86 Yamaha IT200
'86 Honda TRL200 Reflex
'04 KTM 525EXC (soon to be dual sported)
Several others, including project bikes, Deb's bike, and a fleet of grandkids' bikes

Let's go riding!
http://www.jebruns.com/Wudi19/wudi19.html
http://www.ahrma.org/schedules-results/cross-country/
Old 04-12-2014, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cook View Post
I don't torque the 5mm locking nut, but rather simply take out the play or extra space/slack between the nut and the linkage rod. That is the reason for the locking style nut. (It won't back off, even though it is not torqued against the rod.)

Yeah that's what I did. By "suggested" I meant by BoomBoom. Sorry .