Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke

Enduro Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke Jetting, Reeds, Air Filters, etc.

Old 10-27-2011, 11:57 AM

You just think your Gnarlized 300 is fast up top, the Doma was good for about 5 more HP. Think old time CR500 fast, well not quite, but the first ride with the Doma was real eye opener. You get used to shifting at a certain RPM range and the Doma just blew right thru where I used to shift carrying the front wheel. Did lose the clean grunt off the bottom though.

2009 KTM 250XC - street legal CO trails connector

2015- Giant Trance carbon advanced-pedal power

Old 10-27-2011, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC View Post
Skid, I'm riding in the same exact conditions as you are. I probably live less than 100 miles from you. I've been running my bike, 11' 250, with a 42 pilot still, the needle is still in the #3 slot, but I've gone up to a 175 main, and set the AS @1.5 out..
other than the 42 we are pretty much running the same set up ... got a 50 on the back too. When I was messing with it sunday my bud said ... that don't sound right ... it sounds like a 125. I sort of agreed and always figured when a 250 2t sounds like a 125 your on the lean side. But it felt pretty good so I went with it. you north south east or west of me?? I'm tempted to pop the 42 in but it seems late in the season for that. might ride the enduro this sunday ... gonna be a cold start to that one
Old 10-27-2011, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skid jackson View Post
other than the 42 we are pretty much running the same set up ... got a 50 on the back too. When I was messing with it sunday my bud said ... that don't sound right ... it sounds like a 125. I sort of agreed and always figured when a 250 2t sounds like a 125 your on the lean side. But it felt pretty good so I went with it. you north south east or west of me?? I'm tempted to pop the 42 in but it seems late in the season for that. might ride the enduro this sunday ... gonna be a cold start to that one
I'm about 5 miles west of Dirt World Cycle. For the temps that we had today, 30's, I would have used a 45, but honestly I'm just about done for the season. I may do a trail rider or two and one more race at the end of Nov, but I'm not really a cold weather rider.
Old 10-27-2011, 09:25 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by skid jackson View Post
There is a definite change in exhaust note from one clip to the next and with each one leaner it is more of a higher pitched and snappy sound. Richen it up and it will sound duller. The thing to note here is that it felt good. Leaner will continue to feel better and better until you reach a point where it feels like it lacks it balls. Like it'll rev but it won't have strength behind it. Go leaner again and you'll start to experience surging, pinging, and boiling over. Keep pushing it and you'll more than likely seize it up.

From my experience the edge of being too lean is when the bike feels really nice when you take off but after 10minutes of giving it the berries it starts to feel a bit flat. Go half a clip or a clip richer and you're on the moneys! If you want it to be more torquey and tractor like (a little more forgiving) go another clip richer, but this will come at the expense of using a bit more fuel.

They engine is extremely tunable depending on what characteristics you are looking for.
Old 10-28-2011, 10:42 PM
Super Moderator

I have found the holy grail for my bike after a whole year of continually trying every needle and setup I can get my hands on.

Settled on 40P AS2 NEDJ#2 172. Its err very nice! I had tried NECJ#3 which was too rich. Blubbed some but generally just not crisp enough. You could hear it in the tone of the exhaust.

With NEDJ#2 quite clean and lean off the bottom end. Will lug around in 2nd very smoothly and pop the front up over logs and roots with ease. It then richens up into a nice meaty mid range and keeps pulling all the way into the top.
Old 10-28-2011, 11:21 PM

Great. Now I gotta get another needle!

Great work Jakobi
Old 10-29-2011, 03:50 AM
Super Moderator

You don't really need another needle. If you're happy with the NEDW I'd just stick with that. I had a burble just as I'd open the throttle with the W. I'd say between 1/8 and 1/4 throttle which I could clear up by lifting the needle but then I fell a bit lean in the mid (around 1/2 throttle). I could live with it if I only rode open 3rd gear and up trails but found it a bit annoying at the smaller openings in the tight stuff. The J diameter has cleaned this up for me.

Like MJC said in the jetting thread. NEDH for 200's, NEDW for 250, NEDJ for 300.

I could probably get away with dropping the main back to a 170 again but will leave it as is for the moment. Very pleased!
Old 10-29-2011, 04:39 AM
Bronze Level Site Supporter

Hey Jake,
Just buy a normal 12 and work all this out again for me will ya.
My 07 is now officially up for sale.
I have cancelled my Wildwood entry to get the bike ready for sale.
Cheers Mark
Old 10-29-2011, 08:47 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wence View Post
Hey Jake,
Just buy a normal 12 and work all this out again for me will ya.
My 07 is now officially up for sale.
I have cancelled my Wildwood entry to get the bike ready for sale.
Cheers Mark
Mark! I think the new 300 still uses the 38mm carb same same same so jetting shouldn't be too far off. I'm thinking maybe you should have a go with the 2012 first and once you have it sussed I'll consider selling the Euro
Old 10-29-2011, 04:33 PM
Bronze Level Site Supporter

Yeh , I bet you do.
Your wish will probably come true mate as I will be buying shortly.
I know that if there were any probs John from Solo will help us out.
The only worry I have still is really that new filter design?
I guess we'll see...
I will probably be talking to you a lot more when I start jetting the new one as I have deliberately run the 07 on the slightly rich side to be safe on long transport sections.
Cheers Mark