Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Suspension

Enduro Suspension Tuning & maintenance of Enduro forks, shocks, etc

Old 11-18-2009, 01:44 PM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GG27 View Post
Moto9,
My zorks are working perfectly in single track extreme rocky conditions here in Greece (after I revalved them at the gasgas representative). My main complaint is that they are not progressive at the end of the stroke causing the fork to bottom easily. That is why I would preffer a twin chamber set up. I will try raising the oil level to 90cm and see how it works on the weekend.

Thanks
What spring rate are you running, IMHO even if the spring rate is right for your weigh if your an aggressive rider you might benefit from a stiffer spring.

If raising the oil level doesn't work, you could try reducing the float height on the midvalve.

Old 11-18-2009, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moto9 View Post
you could try reducing the float height on the midvalve.
How is this done and what effect does it have?
Old 11-18-2009, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick790 View Post
How is this done and what effect does it have?
The rod is removed from the cartridge.
On the end of the rod is a piston.
On the nut side of the piston is the rebound stack, the other side is the midvalve stack.
The midvalve stack is also spring loaded.
When the fork compresses oil is metered thru the midvalve, adjusting the stack configuration =(as in stiffness) distance it is allowed to float open, stiffness of the spring, piston port size all effect oil flow.
The midvalve sort of acts as a parashuite for the fork.
If more float is added the results are (in my best explaination) like using a smaller parashuite allowing the fork to compress quicker and deeper into the stroke.
Taking away float has an adverse affect.
Now I am no suspension Guru, I just know what I like and it took me a 3 times to get the forks where I like them..But I will say it was night and day difference.
I switched bikes with a friend that has a 09 EC300 (sachs fork, very simular design) and huge difference...same with the shock...I no longer complain about the hard seat...but I sure can feel it on his bike.
Old 11-19-2009, 02:11 AM

Moto9,

I have the standard .42 springs and I weigh 80 kgs. The suspension tuner put sae5 fork oil @ 110mm. Should I add about 20cc of sae10 to stiffen it up a bit?

I have it set up with 6 clicks Rebound out from fully in and 12 clicks Compression from fully in. Should I increase compression a bit?

Thanks

Yz 250 '06, KTM exc 250 '05, exc 250 '04, exc 250 '02
WRF250 '02, KDX 220 '98, DT200R '93 all sold
Old 11-19-2009, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moto9 View Post
The rod is removed from the cartridge.
On the end of the rod is a piston.
On the nut side of the piston is the rebound stack, the other side is the midvalve stack.
The midvalve stack is also spring loaded.
When the fork compresses oil is metered thru the midvalve, adjusting the stack configuration =(as in stiffness) distance it is allowed to float open, stiffness of the spring, piston port size all effect oil flow.
The midvalve sort of acts as a parashuite for the fork.
If more float is added the results are (in my best explaination) like using a smaller parashuite allowing the fork to compress quicker and deeper into the stroke.
Taking away float has an adverse affect.
Now I am no suspension Guru, I just know what I like and it took me a 3 times to get the forks where I like them..But I will say it was night and day difference.
I switched bikes with a friend that has a 09 EC300 (sachs fork, very simular design) and huge difference...same with the shock...I no longer complain about the hard seat...but I sure can feel it on his bike.
Thanks, that explains things well. How did you add more float to yours?
Old 11-19-2009, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick790 View Post
Thanks, that explains things well. How did you add more float to yours?
There's a couple of ways...removing shims or replacing shims with thinner ones...decreasing the shim stack thickness. I did a combination of both.
Old 11-22-2009, 03:16 AM

Quote:
Does anybody know the showa fork tube diameter at top and bottom triple clamp positions.
47mm USD Showa from RM: 54.5mm upper, 58.5mm lower

I nhave them fitted on my GG

http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/sho...ighlight=showa

have fun,

j.
Old 11-22-2009, 09:18 AM

Jiauka, thanks for the incredible info on the showa forks. Won't drilling the tripple clamps weaken their strength?

Anyway I raised the oil level to 90mm and forks took the big hits and drop offs quite easily. Now I have my shock acting up after one hour of rough rocky single track, its jumping all over the place even if I just revalved it and serviced it 10 hours ago. During the first half hour it worked really good although I was bottom it afew times on the moto course. I'll call the gasgas agent and see what he has to say.

Old 12-08-2009, 12:14 AM

moto9

I think I have to jump the gun and get a pair of heavier springs since I still cannot get decent front end stability at high speed whoops and drop offs. What spring rate should I order, 45 or 48? I weigh 175lbs naked.

Old 12-08-2009, 05:02 PM

Quote:
moto9

I think I have to jump the gun and get a pair of heavier springs since I still cannot get decent front end stability at high speed whoops and drop offs. What spring rate should I order, 45 or 48? I weigh 175lbs naked.
I have 45's, you might be better off to see if you can get a .46 from Race tech..
at 175 48's might be too much.
Consider this...you may still have handling and suspension issues if the bike is not ballanced out.
So, if you go heavier on the front but the rear spring is too soft you'll still have problems.
I read some posts about running I think it was 12mm of preload on the rear shock and ignore the sag numbers...that didn't work for me.
I went with a stiffer rear spring and set my free sag at 35mm which has me in the 4" rider sag +/- 1/4" and my bike feels just right, very ballanced.
Check your sag numbers and see where they are, but just for info, that sill may not mean much...when I raced MX I ran way stiffer springs for my weight...That's just the way I liked it.
Suspension comes down to personal prefrence.
I read an artical where a mx mag tested Ryan Huges bike and one of his teammates bikes...both the same bike but radically different suspension set-ups, one was very plush the other was super stiff...so go figure.
What every you do get the bike ballanced out
Sorry if this does'nt help you much.