Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 01-22-2014, 08:42 PM

Nice test of an EC250F

http://cdn.moto1.es/enduropro/51/enduropro51.pdf

in Spanish castle magic words they found the suspension a bit soft and the engine slower than others 250F BUT this make the Gasser great for medium level riders.
nothing special or bad with Reiger shock.
Very beautiful, lighter...cheaper than orange bling.

Brasil!

Old 01-23-2014, 11:24 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Interesting thread.

It got me to subscribe to a magazine, something I haven't done in over ten years.

When I was in the market for a new bike I looked and looked for a KTM 300 that fit my budget and needs. I was ready to pull the trigger on a leftover Berg 300 at one point, but having had ridden various KTM 300's I never really liked how they handled.

A few of my riding buddies whose opinions I respected favored the KTM's, one even said he had worked with the suspension on a friend's 2011 Gasser (he is a suspension tuner who is getting some press from DR of all places) and said his friend wouldn't do it again.

My local GG dealer let me take his personal 2011 EC300 out for spin and I threw my budget and all that talk out the window and took my gasser home that week. I love the way it handles on the trail, I love the motor, I love the ergos. I couldn't care less about the weight. Any sup par performance can almost always be attributed to the rider.

Since I took my 2012 ec300 home a year ago, I have crashed the hell out of it. Just last weekend it took a direct hit to the water pump through the skidplate (the plate is now trashed) but to my amazement the pump itself only suffered a couple nicks. The thing is crazy durable and handles like a scalpel in tight and nasty stuff.

Sure I broke my plastic subframe, and the starter isn't exactly the bees knees, but no bike I've ever owned has been perfect.

This fall I got to go ride some local NM desert single track with Clay and my dealer and the guy is a genuine good human being. I can't afford to buy a new bike every season but when I do, I know it will be a Sherco or a GG.

Thanks for all the hard work Clay, and someone please buy the 2011 leftover ec300 at my local dealer so he can buy new eye candy for me to lust over.
Old 01-23-2014, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
Interesting thread.

It got me to subscribe to a magazine, something I haven't done in over ten years.

When I was in the market for a new bike I looked and looked for a KTM 300 that fit my budget and needs. I was ready to pull the trigger on a leftover Berg 300 at one point, but having had ridden various KTM 300's I never really liked how they handled.

A few of my riding buddies whose opinions I respected favored the KTM's, one even said he had worked with the suspension on a friend's 2011 Gasser (he is a suspension tuner who is getting some press from DR of all places) and said his friend wouldn't do it again.

My local GG dealer let me take his personal 2011 EC300 out for spin and I threw my budget and all that talk out the window and took my gasser home that week. I love the way it handles on the trail, I love the motor, I love the ergos. I couldn't care less about the weight. Any sup par performance can almost always be attributed to the rider.

Since I took my 2012 ec300 home a year ago, I have crashed the hell out of it. Just last weekend it took a direct hit to the water pump through the skidplate (the plate is now trashed) but to my amazement the pump itself only suffered a couple nicks. The thing is crazy durable and handles like a scalpel in tight and nasty stuff.

Sure I broke my plastic subframe, and the starter isn't exactly the bees knees, but no bike I've ever owned has been perfect.

This fall I got to go ride some local NM desert single track with Clay and my dealer and the guy is a genuine good human being. I can't afford to buy a new bike every season but when I do, I know it will be a Sherco or a GG.

Thanks for all the hard work Clay, and someone please buy the 2011 leftover ec300 at my local dealer so he can buy new eye candy for me to lust over.
I agree completely about GG and Clay!

"If you stop eating donuts you will live 3 years longer. It's just 3 more years that you want a donut."
―Comedian Lewis Black

"I think best when I have a wrench in my hands." Soichiro Honda

"Dreams are messages from the deep."
-Unknown Sardaukar
Old 01-23-2014, 08:42 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkwdc View Post
Only thing porky about my gasgas is the rider. :-)
I resemble that remark. I'm way more porky than my bike.

Now, if they hadn't stolen my 2006 DE300, I would still be riding it. I had planned on it being my last new dirt bike. It was perfect, and I loved it. It gave me great service and a lot of fun in the woods from Fl to NM to Idaho to NC, and never disappointed me.

Having said that, I can also say that I love my electric start 2011 EC250. (I wouldn't have paid extra for the electric start, but damn if I don't use it almost every time I start the bike.) I simply love the bike. It chugs up the hills just fine, and when I feel "froggy", it jumps. It will race, but at the same time it's so controllable that I can ride with a beginner without feeling handicapped; and it runs cool while my 4-stroke buddies and my KTM buddies bikes are boiling over.

It's the perfect bike for me. Oh, I may get a 300cc top end and change it over (and back) just to have a bit of variety once in a while; but unless someone steals this one, I plan on riding it for a long, long time.

Good Riding to All Y'all!
Jim
'11 Gas Gas EC250 (primary ride)
'06 Gas Gas DE300
2004 Gas Gas TXT300 Pro
'94 Husaberg FE350
'86 Yamaha IT200
'86 Honda TRL200 Reflex
'04 KTM 525EXC (soon to be dual sported)
Several others, including project bikes, Deb's bike, and a fleet of grandkids' bikes

Let's go riding!
http://www.jebruns.com/Wudi19/wudi19.html
http://www.ahrma.org/schedules-results/cross-country/
Old 01-23-2014, 09:23 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasser View Post
Opinions are like a-holes and definitely ever a-hole has one so I'm gonna throw my 2 cents in. Well I guess I had better not. I won't say what I'm thinking because I don't believe in saying such things unless I can do it face to face. I'm just too peed off that anyone would come on this forum and launch such a vicious direct assault against anyone let alone the best friend the GasGas community has. If anyone doesn't like what I'm saying don't comment here on this forum - call me up or better yet come to my home. Clay puts his phone number out there so anyone can voice any concerns or get help. Clay is not the person who needs to grow a pair.

931-498-5113 Ken Wyatt 2925 Eagle Landing Dr. Cookeville, TN 38506
Ken, my friend, you haven't changed one bit since you left Arkansas for TN. I sure enjoy reading your posts here on gasgasrider.org. If I get up into your area for a ride, I'll let you know so we can put in some miles together. I'm planning on Brushy Mtn, at least, this year.

Good Riding!
Jim
Ps. The Wudi Ride is just before and on the weekend of April 4/5 this year.
Come join us. (Everyone else here is invited, too.)
http://www.jebruns.com/Wudi16/wudi16.html

'06 Gas Gas DE300
2004 Gas Gas TXT300 Pro
'94 Husaberg FE350
'86 Yamaha IT200
'86 Honda TRL200 Reflex
Several others, including project bikes, Deb's bike, and a fleet of grandkids' bikes

Let's go riding!
Old 01-23-2014, 09:24 PM
Banned

Thank you all for the kind words. I appreciate it very much!
Old 01-23-2014, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
Interesting thread.

Who is your local dealer? I might be interested in the 300
Old 01-23-2014, 11:18 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkwdc View Post
14% here. I don't seem to use the stand up feature much.
That's another remark that I resemble. Since I tore my hamstring at the Hardwood Enduro a few years ago, I let the first big bump bounce my butt up in the air and then just straighten my legs. Instant "stand up". Lucky for me that the GasGas will let me ride hugged up on the tank and still take care of me.
'06 Gas Gas DE300
2004 Gas Gas TXT300 Pro
'94 Husaberg FE350
'86 Yamaha IT200
'86 Honda TRL200 Reflex

Let's go riding!