Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 01-08-2014, 04:05 PM
Banned

Default Neck brace wearers?

I just received my Omega brace I ordered. Two for that matter, a shipping error on there part but was told I could keep the extra one. Anyways I had a first ride with it and thought I was going to suffocate. I couldn't turn my head left or right very far and couldn't look up, which we know is a huge problem while riding. Is it just not properly adjusted or has anyone else wearing a brace experience this also?

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited by desertgasser300; 01-09-2014 at 07:42 PM.

Old 01-08-2014, 05:35 PM

I bought one of the first Leatt braces, I couldn't turn my head at all. The sides of the brace were too high for me, rendering my head virtually immoblie. It was a weird feeling, very uncomfortable.

I bought one of the Alpinestars bionic neck braces.Much better fit for me! I have used this brace for two years without a problem.

"If you stop eating donuts you will live 3 years longer. It's just 3 more years that you want a donut."
―Comedian Lewis Black

"I think best when I have a wrench in my hands." Soichiro Honda

"Dreams are messages from the deep."
-Unknown Sardaukar
Old 01-08-2014, 05:37 PM
Super Moderator

I've been using a leatt gpx club (fully adj model) for some time and don't notice any real lack of movement with it. Obviously it will limit the amount your head can move (thats its job), but it didn't limit my usual range of movement when riding.

When I buy another it will be one of these - http://www.atlasbrace.com/
Old 01-08-2014, 05:54 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

I have the atlas carbon, seems nice I don't have much time on it thought.
Old 01-08-2014, 06:31 PM

Desert, is the omega sitting on your shoulders completely or is it riding up? It is one of the more low profile neck braces, so it may be poorly adjusted, but without seeing how it fits it's all really guess work.
Do you have large trap muscles or a short neck? That can often cause issues with neck brace foment.

The new leatt 5.5 brace has a much lower profile than previous models, I'll probably pick up one of them at some point. I had trouble getting the Atlas to work with a pressure suit, but really liked the idea.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
Old 01-08-2014, 08:29 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

+1 for the alpinestars. 1 yr no problems
Old 01-08-2014, 08:47 PM
Banned

OK, I've spent the last hour at work in the lazy-boy reading the manual and adjusting the brace. I put my helmet and roost gaurd on and it finally feels like I anticipated it would. Very comfortable now and I can look almost over my shoulders and can tilt my head back a descent amount. Just have to wait til I get off work for a test run. I do have my bike with me here, maybe I could zip across the field in back of the station
Old 01-08-2014, 10:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakobi View Post

When I buy another it will be one of these - http://www.atlasbrace.com/
The Atlas was my first choice because of its low profile. But in person the base model atlas seems very flimsy. Twowheels has the carbon version which is nice and sturdy. Then he, (Steve) mentioned the Omega. I did some reviewing and found only positive reviews. And I really like the open front of the brace. And the price was right in my budget.

Last edited by desertgasser300; 01-09-2014 at 07:44 PM.
Old 01-08-2014, 10:41 PM

I hated the Leatt brace since it pushed up against my Adam's apple on my neck, even at the largest adjustment.

The Omega is way more comfortable. Further, the downward load is distributed by a comfortable web on both sides. It doesn't have a lightly padded frame to jam on your collarbone in the event of a crash.
Old 01-08-2014, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric K View Post
I hated the Leatt brace since it pushed up against my Adam's apple on my neck, even at the largest adjustment.

The Omega is way more comfortable. Further, the downward load is distributed by a comfortable web on both sides. It doesn't have a lightly padded frame to jam on your collarbone in the event of a crash.
Sounds like your Leatt wasn't even nearly the correct size.
Are you a big guy?
When properly adjusted the Leatt doesn't sit near the collar bone nor the adams apple.