Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Product Announcements

Enduro Product Announcements Announce new gasgas enduro products here - Vendors Welcome...

Old 01-13-2010, 07:03 AM

I can't say whether he would take it on or not. Plus, inserts would have to be made, and in small quantities would be $$. Thats why I questioned if the Barnett inserts are available as replacement parts, as the OEM basket could possibly be machined around them.

What is the difference in OEM baskets? Finger thickness? Newer baskets better or worse?

Lets see a pic Ed and decide if this may be worth pursuing. It would also be good to run this by Ron and Les, and get their opinion, since they are in the MC buisness.

Let me talk to my neighbor and describe whats needed, I can eaisly show him the dry clutch on my Ducati so he has a rough idea what we want. If he has any interest at a reasonable price I'll contact you guys. In the meantime I'll run it by Ron and Les.

Old 01-13-2010, 07:34 AM
Silver Level Site Supporter

OK. I found a pic in my email and I used Steves pic.

Here is the style Steve and I had in our bikes. Both failed and I really think the castings are bad.

Here is the other style

----------------
Now playing: Coheed & Cambria - The Crowing (Live)
via FoxyTunes
Old 01-13-2010, 07:50 AM

Somewhere I have a pic of my '07 to compare.
Old 01-13-2010, 09:26 AM

Wow, not a single oil slinger hole in the fingers on those clutch baskets compared to the Barnett or the pic on page 2 in this thread. Could possibly contribute to clutch drag.

Glenn, yeah if you have a pic of the 07 lets see that one also.

Personally I think it would be nice for a company like Barnett or Hinson to make an aftermarket basket for the GG. Now getting em to do it is a whole nother story. I would really like to have someone try the newer OEM GG basket in let's say an 00/01/02/03 bike to make sure it works before an all out assault on getting an aftermarket company to make one. Mark at GF said yeah it would but then added he would check with Spain to be sure so now I'm not so sure. Having a basket work in 10,12, or more years bikes could be very convincing for a company to build one.....maybe?
Old 01-13-2010, 10:09 AM

Clutch drag has nothing to do with holes in the fingers. Its most likely a function of the clearances when disengaged. My '03 dragged more than normal when new, and I found a burred friction plate that was hanging up, fixed with a file. My '07 is perfect with 5-40W. In all of these I've had apart multiple times I've never seen any evidence of overheating from lack of oil in the clutch, even on the 125. Its probably much more of an issue with dry sump 4-strokes that have oil pumped through the clutch.

I suspect any changes to the clutch were done for either cost or weight savings. The cases are the same since '05. I do not think the mainshaft was changed. If Steve and Ed had the same type in their bikes (different cases) then they should be completely interchangable. That means that if the 2010 cases and other parts are the same, all should be good.

The big deal with the steel insert idea is the tooling to stamp the insert.