Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 04-21-2020, 11:37 AM

Default 2018 xc250

Hello all! New to the forum and new to GASGAS and new to owning a 2 stroke. I just picked up a dealer display with less than 10 hours according to the dealer. When I picked the bike up it had maybe a gallon or less of gas in it. Brought it home rode it around and fell in love. Now that gas is gone and they weren't sure what premix was used. I've now gone with Belray Si-7, 50:1 with 5 gallons of clear gas. ( per their recommendation) Now I kinda feel like there is a little more smoke at start up than with the other gas, and I have noticed just a tad bit of pooling around the edge of the tailpipe....Just a little. Is Bel RAy Si-7 at 50:1 good choice or is there something else you guys recommend?

I have the bike for trail riding and putting around, none race bike.

I'm posting this to get feedback from all you GASGAS experts just to make sure I'm doing all the right things to keep the bike running well. Any and all feedback is welcomed.
Thanks in advance for all your feedback!

Last edited by brico; 04-21-2020 at 04:13 PM. Reason: typos

Old 04-22-2020, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brico View Post
Hello all! New to the forum and new to GASGAS and new to owning a 2 stroke. I just picked up a dealer display with less than 10 hours according to the dealer. When I picked the bike up it had maybe a gallon or less of gas in it. Brought it home rode it around and fell in love. Now that gas is gone and they weren't sure what premix was used. I've now gone with Belray Si-7, 50:1 with 5 gallons of clear gas. ( per their recommendation) Now I kinda feel like there is a little more smoke at start up than with the other gas, and I have noticed just a tad bit of pooling around the edge of the tailpipe....Just a little. Is Bel RAy Si-7 at 50:1 good choice or is there something else you guys recommend?

I have the bike for trail riding and putting around, none race bike.

I'm posting this to get feedback from all you GASGAS experts just to make sure I'm doing all the right things to keep the bike running well. Any and all feedback is welcomed.
Thanks in advance for all your feedback!
Try an oil with a lower flash point. I use Motul 710 at 50:1 with good results in my 250. The bike is on its third top end, around 90 hours for each piston, and rings were still barely in spec and cylinder is looking good.
Old 04-22-2020, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob 'Berg View Post
Try an oil with a lower flash point. I use Motul 710 at 50:1 with good results in my 250. The bike is on its third top end, around 90 hours for each piston, and rings were still barely in spec and cylinder is looking good.
Right on! Thanks for the feedback!
Old 04-23-2020, 07:26 PM
Super Moderator

My 2018 is a spooge cannon.. I'm running half a clip richer than I normally would.. and in a 70km loop have spooge dribbling all the way back down the length of the can!
Old 04-23-2020, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob 'Berg View Post
Try an oil with a lower flash point.
Bel Ray Si7 has a flash point of 194 so he's fine there. And yes 50:1 is okay. Spooge can be minimized with proper jetting and proper premix for riding style.
Old 04-24-2020, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoHead View Post
Bel Ray Si7 has a flash point of 194 so he's fine there. And yes 50:1 is okay. Spooge can be minimized with proper jetting and proper premix for riding style.
sounds like i need to have it properly jetted for low speed trial riding? JD jett kit maybe?
Old 04-24-2020, 02:36 PM

Congrats and welcome to the family

The Belray is fine and so is the 710 Motul. I use the 710 too and so do many others.

All 2018/2019 Gassers like to spooge a bit more than the competition. Spoke to James Dean as it was not possible to have the bike running perfect without spooge and I tried a lot of different needles and jets. Jim said, forget it, prefer a few drops of oil with proper jetting instead of having a dry can but a bike that is probably running on the lean side :-)
Old 04-24-2020, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brico View Post
sounds like i need to have it properly jetted for low speed trial riding? JD jett kit maybe?
Correct. And I have no experience with the JD kit but it seems to be popular for many. I believe it makes jetting more straight forward especially if you aren't very familiar with jetting in general. Do some research as there is lots of info out there. There is also a few jetting threads on this forum.
Old 04-24-2020, 03:47 PM

Gassers seem to run cooler than the orange (and white) 2 strokes in my experience - that may explain a little more spooge. If properly jetted and you run an oil with a flashpoint below 200f the spooge won't be much and it is easy to remove with WD40 and a paper towel.
Old 04-24-2020, 06:55 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Brown View Post
Congrats and welcome to the family

The Belray is fine and so is the 710 Motul. I use the 710 too and so do many others.

All 2018/2019 Gassers like to spooge a bit more than the competition. Spoke to James Dean as it was not possible to have the bike running perfect without spooge and I tried a lot of different needles and jets. Jim said, forget it, prefer a few drops of oil with proper jetting instead of having a dry can but a bike that is probably running on the lean side :-)
My 2013 model used to spooge a lot until I cut the exhaust back shorter.

As above my 2018 has the head modified and jetting is a bit on the rich side, but certainly not 'too rich'.. Doesn't break up and pulls well.

Combination of riding technical terrain lower in the rev range with a huge big pipe that doesn't get overly hot.

I'm certain that its just the exhaust is too big for purpose. Keeps it quiet, but doesn't get hot enough and just accumulates more and more until it dribbles out the end.