Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Suspension

Enduro Suspension Tuning & maintenance of Enduro forks, shocks, etc

Old 07-22-2019, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Brown View Post
I searched the allballs website but they have nothing available for the GG.
It's strange, there's nothing showing on the All Balls website, but then I found this on eBay...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/All-Balls...AAAOSw~gpdClBK

Might be worth a quick email to All Balls? Maybe it's just that they haven't updated their website?

Old 07-23-2019, 12:46 AM

Many thanks guys. Yes Dave, I will contact Allballs to get the information. If they have them I will look for a dealer here in Europe who can get them for me.

Cheers Doc

edit: mail to All Balls sent!
Old 07-23-2019, 07:58 PM

Try ProX for them. Got over 150 hours on my 2018 XC250 & bearings are still fine. There is play in top shock bearing of 1-2mm but some say that's normal, others not. Hasn't got any worse & no better with a genuine replacement spherical bearing through warranty. Have a ProX YZ250 bearing to try next.
Old 07-24-2019, 06:50 AM

Thank you shawbagga. Let me see if I can get Prox.

Yes, have heard about the shock mount and yes some guys said it's normal.

However, there's an update:

I disassembled everything and inspected the bushings as well as the bearings and all looked good. The single bushing of the linkage arm (we call it "bone") showed a bit of use but it only was visible. I could not feel anything with my finger nail nor could I measure a difference using a micrometer caliper.

I admit I didn't inspect the upper shock mount. However, the lower shock mount looked like new and I even turned a piece of aluminum in the lathe to see if the hole is oval, but it was in perfect condition. Needless to say that I was puzzled. A mate said the bolt that goes through the bushing of the linkage arm has a lot of free play in the bushing. Told him that this plays no role once the bolt is tightened the washers press against the bushing and its hold firmly in place. But he insisted that this might play a role. Just for testing he prepaired a bolt that fit snugly through the bushing. I was laughing but well...

I am not laughing now as once the bolt was installed the play was totally gone. Don't tell me that isn't possible. Because I do know that it is not possible. I can reproduce that a hundred times. I use the thinner bolt and there is 5mm play, then use the thicker one and it's gone. I see it but I know it cannot be.

Today a mate said it might be that the OEM bolts thread is too short and even when tightened the nut does not apply full pressure to the bushing. I admit, that this is the only thing I could imagine...

But the next few weeks I don't have time to check...
Old 07-24-2019, 02:14 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

No it's not possible.

. . . Oh hold on, it's what I've been saying all along.

There is huge leverage on the linkage. Sideways pressure won't put up much resistance.
'22 765 Street Triple RS
'21 XTrainer
'69 Stinger T125 Suzuki
'23 TRS 250RR (it's a Trials thing)
Old 07-24-2019, 03:40 PM

I know. But if you really know how those bearings work - then you know that the gap between the bolt and the bushing does not play a role as long as the bolt is tightened.
Old 07-24-2019, 04:28 PM

I've been saying this about the top shock bolt since new but a mate says the same thing, it should clamp together. Seems odd to me that sideways pressure could cop big flat landings, logs etc. I actually measured top shock bolt to get a slightly larger one made. Only thing I can think of. Do you know how much thicker he went on bolt shank? I'm guessing it wouldn't be very much.
Old 07-25-2019, 06:38 AM

I think it were 2/10mm. But not sure. It puzzles me as it should make no difference, but it does.
Only thing I could accept would be the thread on the bolt being too short so that even with tightened nut there isn't the full pressure/torque on the bushing