Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > Riding Techniques & Training

Riding Techniques & Training Increase Riding Skill, Physical and Mental Training, Weight Loss.

Old 01-07-2011, 07:10 AM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Default Mt Bike Training

For several years, I was big into mt bikes and got into pretty good shape, but gradually lost interest, and stopped riding. Just recently I caught the bug to start pedaling again, so I found a killer deal on a new GT Marathon and took the plunge. A buddy of mine is prepping the bike this weekend, and we hope to go out as soon as the weather allows.

Just wondering what sort of physical training you guys are doing to stay in shape, and if there are any other mt. bike / GG riders here on the forum?

Old 01-07-2011, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Overstreet View Post
For several years, I was big into mt bikes and got into pretty good shape, but gradually lost interest, and stopped riding. Just recently I caught the bug to start pedaling again, so I found a killer deal on a new GT Marathon and took the plunge. A buddy of mine is prepping the bike this weekend, and we hope to go out as soon as the weather allows.

Just wondering what sort of physical training you guys are doing to stay in shape, and if there are any other mt. bike / GG riders here on the forum?
Don't you have to pedal those things?
Old 01-07-2011, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lankydoug View Post
Don't you have to pedal those things?
Here in KY...what goes up...most come down so yes, you pedal...but only half the time
Old 01-07-2011, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Overstreet View Post

I usually throw my mountain bike in for any winter travel to the warmer climates, but I'd rather dirt bike than mountain bike any day. Still, during the week in the summer I try to spin at least once - MTB trails are much more accessible in the after work hours.
Steven Beane #275
PlusOnePerformance - Superior Service the World Over - Dearborn MI
AMA District 14 (Michigan) Officer

afterhourscycle.com
Michigan's Beta and TM Race Headquarters
Old 01-07-2011, 09:37 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

I pedal too. I ride 26 miles round trip to work every day. When the weather is better we do wednesday mt. Bike rides after work at a local hot spot. It has required that I purchase really good lighting. Originally I got a mt. bike so I could ride during the fire season, but it's become a new passion. Riding bikes have opened up new trails, new challenges, and consistent mid week riding, plus a healthy dose of humility!
OMRA #21AA
What will I be riding next? Christini GG 300?
'15 KTM 300 XC-W
'08 EC 250 (Gone to new happy owner)
Gran Prix Cycle
LTR Suspension
RB-Designs
Old 01-07-2011, 12:36 PM

Mtn. biking rocks IMO and is great training. I've found nothng that can turn your entire body into a wimpy noodle more than a grueling dirt bike ride but mtn. bikeing can come close. I love the quiet factor and the fact you don't need huge mileage to enjoy the sport. I have 3 spots within 5-10 minutes where I can ride. Me and all 3 of my kids ages 17, 15, and 12 do it. With the cold weather my kids bail but I continue. I bought a set of Nokian studded tires last winter and it was one of the best purchases I've made as you can just laugh at glare ice on the trails. I use a pair of Swix XC ski gloves which work great. No problem keeping warm once you get warm. Since I've been unemployed I've spent FAR more time on the mtn. bike this past year than the dirt bikes and I can enjoy the sport with my kids which for me is huge....except dad gets to wrench/maintain 4 bikes. It get very addictive and bling and goodies for mtn. bikes is off the charts. For a newbie the learning curve with all different bike standards, suspension designs, terminology etc. it can be quite overwhelming. Worse than dirt bikes but it's super fun and fantastic exercise (that can really hurt).

GT Marathon is a nice bike. Let me guess...Performance Bike? They were blowing out all knds of deals on the GT bikes.
Old 01-07-2011, 01:46 PM

I should do it too, gym is good but just not enough. Fortunately I can ride my GG from the garage and this fall rode for eight consecutive weeks, felt great. I have a county park with dedicated mtn. bike trails near my house, races are held there too. Problem is I have an old Diamond Back Accent with no suspension. Good components but really stiff, even on the road. I got my kids some cheap bikes for Xmas, and looked at some cool new mtn bikes with disc brakes, etc. $800 for a cheap one with just a fork. Another $$ toy. What do I have to spend for a good modern bike, or how much to bring my old one up to spec with a fork and is it worth it?
Old 01-07-2011, 02:00 PM

Default GT

I got the GT Marathon Elite Cross Country, and yes...there deals are to be had on left-overs right now. My buddy used to own a bicycle shop, so he has been a great help in finding the bike that would suit my needs and my budget.

Old 01-07-2011, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMP View Post
What do I have to spend for a good modern bike, or how much to bring my old one up to spec with a fork and is it worth it?
Check out Giant Nerd on the web. EXCELLENT deals right now but with limited supply on the more popular sizes like mediums and smalls.
Old 01-07-2011, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidad View Post
Mtn. biking rocks IMO and is great training. I've found nothng that can turn your entire body into a wimpy noodle more than a grueling dirt bike ride but mtn. bikeing can come close. I love the quiet factor and the fact you don't need huge mileage to enjoy the sport. I have 3 spots within 5-10 minutes where I can ride. Me and all 3 of my kids ages 17, 15, and 12 do it. With the cold weather my kids bail but I continue. I bought a set of Nokian studded tires last winter and it was one of the best purchases I've made as you can just laugh at glare ice on the trails. I use a pair of Swix XC ski gloves which work great. No problem keeping warm once you get warm. Since I've been unemployed I've spent FAR more time on the mtn. bike this past year than the dirt bikes and I can enjoy the sport with my kids which for me is huge....except dad gets to wrench/maintain 4 bikes. It get very addictive and bling and goodies for mtn. bikes is off the charts. For a newbie the learning curve with all different bike standards, suspension designs, terminology etc. it can be quite overwhelming. Worse than dirt bikes but it's super fun and fantastic exercise (that can really hurt).

GT Marathon is a nice bike. Let me guess...Performance Bike? They were blowing out all knds of deals on the GT bikes.
We have 25 miles of single track mt bike trails at our state park, about 15 minutes from where I live. Most of it is pretty tame, but there are a few extreme sections that the local college team practices on. Honestly, I would do good to ride my GG over some of the climbs out there, much less a bicycle. Those kids are amazing!

One of the many advantages of riding a mt bike (for me anyway), is the fact that most of the time your standing up, stroking the pedals. Naturally, when you climb on the motorcycle, you automatically go into the stand up mode and you're looking farther out down the trail.