Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Suspension

Enduro Suspension Tuning & maintenance of Enduro forks, shocks, etc

Old 10-30-2012, 03:33 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Default What do I have??

OK, so I picked up a '03 EC300DE the other day, from the same guy that I bought my '01 250XC from. They are happy to be reunited!
It has the Ohlins pkg front and rear.

I have to change the springs out [P/O was much taller/heavier] and I have been able to identify the Ohlins forks, it came with the manual. I cannot find any info/details on the Ohlins shock, It is stamped with GG2820. What the heck do I have and does anyone have a Spec Card file/pdf for it?

I have used the search feature without finding that specific part number.

Thanks

Old 10-30-2012, 07:23 PM

Wow, 33 views and no one knows. I tried the Ohlins web site and it did not come up there either.
Old 10-30-2012, 07:35 PM
Super Moderator

Call up an Ohlins dealer. I tried the google machine but all I could find were Gucci sunglasses.
Old 10-30-2012, 09:35 PM

what specs are you trying to find? The spring is spec'd by GasGas, not Ohlins. I have a pdf of the shock service manual but it doesn't tell any valving or spring rates. I can share if you want to pm me your email.

'00 XC250 (mine)
LTS front and rear suspension, power valve cover, carb jet kit and rear chain glide, RB Designs head mod, BRP tall triple clamp, backyard foot-peg lowering conversion.
'04 EC250 (the kids)
(he can do his own mods haha!)
Old 10-30-2012, 11:30 PM

Yeah, my my wife thought I was going to buy her a hand bag when I googled it!

I have the springs that they P/O changed out for the heavier ones. I was hoping to
1) Find out what model/version Ohlins it is. [PR36/46, 888, etc]
2) what the GG spec spring rate would have been, as a base line. I weigh 205lbs [w/o gear] now, [was 227 4mo ago] and plan to be at 190-5lbs by January for race season.

Thanks
Old 10-30-2012, 11:37 PM
Super Moderator

The GG number printed on it is the model number.

The 888 out of my 2010 model is GG8882.
My TTX 2010 model is GG1182.

Finding out the spec I have no idea. Probably same as it is now. Hahha! Its not hard to determine which rate you need though. Maybe with some trial and error and some help.

The spec sheet should be available through ohlins, if you let them know the numbers printed in the top of the shock. ..should be!
Old 10-31-2012, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakobi View Post
The GG number printed on it is the model number.

The 888 out of my 2010 model is GG8882.
My TTX 2010 model is GG1182.

Finding out the spec I have no idea. Probably same as it is now. Hahha! Its not hard to determine which rate you need though. Maybe with some trial and error and some help.

The spec sheet should be available through ohlins, if you let them know the numbers printed in the top of the shock. ..should be!
HAHAHA, you're probably right!
That's what is so weird, the number does not show up anywhere, Ohlins, GG Google,Bing etc..
I was just wondering what the "stock" spring rates and other specs/measurements were. To help in "short cutting" the trial and error time as I won't have a helping hand before riding on Thursday.

I have a 596-10/52 to replace the 596-12/56 on the shock now.
I am assuming that they are 52kg & 56kg springs?
I have 41L [engraved in top of spring] to replace the 2328-47/4.7* in the forks now. I am assuming that they are 4.1kg & 4.7kg springs?

I;ll give Ohlins a try in the morning.
Old 10-31-2012, 09:01 AM

you're right on the shock spring rates, Ohlins engraves the fork spring rate on the end flat, it sounds like you have them figured out
2006 GasGas EC250-Sold to a good home
2006 GasGas TXT 280 Pro
Old 10-31-2012, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred1956 View Post
you're right on the shock spring rates, Ohlins engraves the fork spring rate on the end flat, it sounds like you have them figured out
Yes and it would appear that I really need the rates in between what I have. Now I have to decide, which to use in the meantime. I am thinking maybe It would be better to switch to the lower rates [since I am getting back down to my pre-op weight of 190/5 lbs] and sell the new heavier springs or trade for what I really need.

Of course, this would not have been a problem if I was able to free up the time to drive to AK for the 04 you had for sale!

Thanks for the help guys!
Old 10-31-2012, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrench View Post
Yes and it would appear that I really need the rates in between what I have. Now I have to decide, which to use in the meantime. I am thinking maybe It would be better to switch to the lower rates [since I am getting back down to my pre-op weight of 190/5 lbs] and sell the new heavier springs or trade for what I really need.

Of course, this would not have been a problem if I was able to free up the time to drive to AK for the 04 you had for sale!

Thanks for the help guys!
on the forks at least, it is acceptable to put a spring of each rate in, effectively 'splits' the 2 rates. Can't do that on the shock though. I may have a 5.4 that fits the TTx and I think they'll cross fit to the GG shock. Any body on here that can verify that?
2006 GasGas EC250-Sold to a good home
2006 GasGas TXT 280 Pro