Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 09-04-2010, 06:36 PM

He just wanted you to take the pipe off so you could have a peak at the piston back in there. You need to not ride it any more. If there was coolant in the bike then you have problems. If you didn't have coolant it may last, but I doubt it. Either the bike got hot and the motor seized or a hunk of piston or something broke off and is hung in the motor. At the very least you are talking a piston and rings, and at worst....well, lets just hope it only needs a piston. To be honest, you don't sound like you have been into engines before. This bike is easy, but you have to have some knowledge of how things work. Have a buddy that can help?

Old 09-04-2010, 07:13 PM

The plug being in/out has nothing to do with turning the motor over and is just a coincidence. I'd eyeball the cylinder and piston through the exhaust port, if all looks good and compression is good I'd have that primary cover off and look for something backed off that jammed the system. If all is well in the primary then pull the top end for a closer inspection and inspect the lower end.

Something went very wrong and will not fix itself. Have you drained your trans oil and checked the plug magnet? This may tell all.
Old 09-04-2010, 09:26 PM

i had a kx100 do exactly as you describe, the rings caught the exhaust port and put a big gouge in the plating, and scored the piston and cylinder.
Old 09-04-2010, 09:29 PM

ya my buddy wtec(wes) told me he thinks its kickstarter mechanism and to drain tranny oil. im going to consult him and see what he finds but will look into all you guys have helped me with, your right i have little experience with 2 strokes, ive only ever had 4 strokes before this so your advice is invaluable. i will check cylinder tomorrow and drain tranny oil. i will let you know.
Old 09-05-2010, 11:13 AM

ok so i drained oil and no chunks or anything out of the ordinary, i checked the piston and there isnt a mark on it and the cylinder has no scoring or gouging of any kind it looks perfect. im going to consult my dealer to have a look behind the primary as i dont think this should be happening with only 25 hours on the bike. ill post a pick of the cylinder shortly. oh and there was no coolant in there either.
Old 09-05-2010, 01:18 PM

heres a pic of cylinder
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo-12.JPG (78.1 KB, 64 views)
Old 09-05-2010, 02:25 PM

im no expert,but that piston top looks too clean,ive seen pics where the coolant has been into the cylinder and cleaned the carbon right off the top of the piston
Old 09-05-2010, 02:49 PM

Nambo, my 2004 DE200 stalled while riding one day and then it would not kick over at all when inspected one of the stuffer plate screws backed out and got lodged in the bottom end.
I had some pictures as soon as i can locate them i'll try to post.
Old 09-05-2010, 03:03 PM

thanks for the help id like to see those pics if you can locate them. were you able to start your bike again until you replaced the bolt? just wondering because mine is running completely fine now. i know something has had to happen to make this occur but ive checked half of what everyone told me to do and so far it looks all good. if i get the primary cover off and nothing is backed off and there is no chunks of anything causing problems do i just go back to status quo and ride it? its tough when you dont find problems because the bikes brand new and i dont want to be rebuilding after 4 rides.
Old 09-05-2010, 03:13 PM

http://picasaweb.google.com/ramcclur...62965982657714

Found it, in my case the motor stayed locked until I got the screw unjammed.
you can see sort of shiny spot on the side of rod where screw had started backing out and rubbing rod.

I guess if screw became dislodged and fell into bottom end it would go back to being able to kickover but screw would eventually find its way to do more damage.