Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 12-02-2013, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adv rider View Post
I will look into 13 linkage. I am not a fan of lowering shock/forks themselves.For now I will get the sag setup and see how I feel on it. Have not ridden bike yet,so once I ride it. I will decide best course of action. The lower tire profile is a good idea,except for some loss of traction I'm sure.
The linkage on a 13 is different then the 12... I don't think that will work.

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Tapatalk

Old 12-02-2013, 05:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuJohnson View Post
The linkage on a 13 is different then the 12... I don't think that will work.

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Tapatalk
I have 13' linkage on mine and it lowered the seat a 1/2 in. maybe a little more?
Old 12-02-2013, 05:37 PM

Default short riders unite

The whole deciding factor when i set out to buy a 2t enduro ended up being seat height. GasGas over KTM. No question. I picked up an '07. Nowdays they aren't that much different. I will squeeze every ounce of life out of this bike before i have to buy a new one just because of the seat height.

Here is my progression of changes:

07 EC300 and I'm 5'8 with 30" inseam. First I shaved the seat 1 inch with electric knife and put Kouba lowering link on and slid foks up... Happier, not dumping my bike over hardly at all. But miss squeezing the seat with knees and on big hits back tire hit inside rear fender. Also can't really hammer jumps anymore.

Next had suspension shortened 1" by LTR (back to regular seat and ditched lowering link) and that's all I need. Pro: I never dump my bike over (unless riding 5MOH LOL) Con: I ground out the frame or hit the footpegs when my buddies don't. At first I hated that but I hate dumping my bike over more. Now I watch out for areas I might hit, and I'm adjusting.

If I was a better rider I would have "normal" suspension length, then plan stops better, and keep my momentum up better. I need to plan ahead better, that's the bottom line.

I've been crying to the magazine editors why someone doesn't build a light short 2t enduro for shorter riders. Well, KTM now does, the Freeride 250R, but they don't import it to the US. Yet. Good ground clearance with short(er) seat height. Check the specs online. Or don't, it just made me crazy because I can't have it

I work with an orthopedic surgeon who is 5'3 and motocrosses a CRF150R, and asked me to set up a KTM enduro for her so she could put her feet down. A starting point of 38" seat height is probably not a great idea for her. Oh I could get it low enough but it would perform like crap. I just think there is a decent market for a light short enduro bike (2 or 4T) but I guess no one seems to think the expense of manufacturing a more compact frame will be worth it. I can get MTB frames all sizes all day but not dirt bikes.

Sorry so blabbery but this thread hits a nerve with me. Makes me want to start my own dirt bike company LOL
Old 12-02-2013, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgasser300 View Post
I have 13' linkage on mine and it lowered the seat a 1/2 in. maybe a little more?
Hmmmm
Take a look at the 2013 300 Racing suspension. That linkage would not work on my 12.......

http://www.motocrosscenter.com/ecomm...4000_4015_4304
Old 12-02-2013, 06:48 PM

Yes, afraid to say it but the Freeride 250 is looking mighty tempting to this "short & light weight" rider

92.5kg, 915mm seat height, 2 stroke, and better ground clearance than the EXC's!

I'm just not sure I could disguise it enough so people wouldn't recognise it when I went riding....
Old 12-02-2013, 06:58 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Default seat height

As someone mentioned,it's the slow speeds at times where I need a lower seat height.when I do drop my bike,it's usually a fall over.About 1" lower will be a big help. I will decide what to do after getting setup done.And riding some.

In garage now,tearing down.To learn my way around.

Last edited by adv rider; 12-02-2013 at 11:48 PM.
Old 12-02-2013, 08:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuJohnson View Post
Hmmmm
Take a look at the 2013 300 Racing suspension. That linkage would not work on my 12.......

http://www.motocrosscenter.com/ecomm...4000_4015_4304
Thats odd they list it as a 13'. That is what is on the 14' I took close-ups of.

http://gasgasrider.org/forum/showthr...t=16085&page=6

I ordered a set of 13' links from Mark and they were a bit longer then the 12's.
Old 12-02-2013, 11:48 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Default linkage

Does running 13 linkage require a shock 're-valve? Or is it an improvement in feel with the longer links?
Old 12-03-2013, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumperflipper View Post
I've been crying to the magazine editors why someone doesn't build a light short 2t enduro for shorter riders. Well, KTM now does, the Freeride 250R, but they don't import it to the US. Yet. Good ground clearance with short(er) seat height. Check the specs online. Or don't, it just made me crazy because I can't have it

I just think there is a decent market for a light short enduro bike (2 or 4T) but I guess no one seems to think the expense of manufacturing a more compact frame will be worth it. I can get MTB frames all sizes all day but not dirt bikes.
Been saying the same thing for years. I'm 6 foot tall but would love to have a second bike that is 2-3 inches shorter in set height and wheelbase and 15 pounds or more lighter. I would use it for cutting trail and ride it on those super slick or super technical trail rides.