Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 10-23-2018, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakobi View Post
Not really even close imo.

I measured up the JD needles. The blue is closer to an F diameter OEM needle. The red being around a H (slightly richer than the W).

JD needles are dual taper only, and lean off heavily towards WOT.

The Suzuki needles above are 3 taper and supply a load of fuel towards WOT.

A closer comparison to the JD Red needle would be the N3CH which you see many people are very happy with.
Thanks Jakobi, does that just apply to the later AS2 carb or would that needle also suit the older AS1 carb?

Old 10-23-2018, 05:14 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davehuge View Post
Thanks Jakobi, does that just apply to the later AS2 carb or would that needle also suit the older AS1 carb?
Generally speaking the older AS1 carbs preferred diameters in the F/G range.. The newer AS2 ranges between H, W, J depending on a few factors.

From all accounts it appears the AS2 just provides a bit more velocity/signal at smaller openings requiring a leaner setup to pull the same fuel.
Old 10-23-2018, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herdy View Post
Hi all
I have also just bought a 19 a week ago and a similar issue ...have done about 100 miles running it in and started to wind it up ready to race at the weekend ..i too noticed a very loud bang/knock from the cylinder when shutting off and rolling down big hills and dose not run very smooth when pottering on the road around 1/8 throttle .. ..l have dropped the pilot jet down to 40 which has made a bit of improvement and the spooge out of the exhaust has about gone ..but still have oiled two plugs..both while warming up the bike ...if my thinking is right it is still rich on the pilot as the engine starts instantly with out choke?

i am just going to check float height and try a 38 pilot jet as my next step ( my old 2012 racing i used to run 178 main 35 pilot and a EE needle ..but still was never good around 1/4 throttle )

at the moment I'm running Motul 800.. 90cc to 5 litres (55:1) 175 Main 40 pilot and the EF needle middle clip sea level about 12 to 14 degrees c. Isle of Man UK

any help would greatly appreciated ...apart from this jetting issue the bike is fantastic and definitely confidence building compared to the 12 :O)
Congratulations on your new bike!

Banging noise (burning fuel in the exhaust), fouling plugs, starts easily without choke... I think you've already worked out what's wrong.

Running rich, so check float height then try one/all of the suggested needles or maybe a JD Jetting Kit?

Good luck, Dave.
Old 10-23-2018, 05:54 PM

Thumbs up

Thanks Dave
glad to hear I'm heading in the right direction
all put back together ready for a test run tomorrow.
the Suzuki needle sounds interesting ..just need to source one to give it a go
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 19 gesser.jpg (125.5 KB, 27 views)
Old 10-24-2018, 03:53 AM

Hi
I've had a 18 300 for nearly a year now and have struggled to get the bike running right with UK spec fuel(99 shell v max). Currently running near perfect with NEDH 42p and 178 main@ 50:1. More importantly though using S3 head with black insert 13:1 instead of standard head 13.85:1
Old 10-24-2018, 05:17 PM

In case anyone's interested...

I was digging around and found this info on the Suzuki NE** needles:

NE (1).JPG

NE (2).JPG

NE (3).JPG
Old 10-25-2018, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davehuge View Post
Tell him to get some kits for sale on eBay UK, as far as I can see he'd be the only person selling them in Europe! I might buy one myself!
Dave, there are dealers selling JD kits, MXG in Austria, Bergos in Germany, Heinzls Bikeshop Germany, Waine Mounter in Wales (UK), ...

Thanks for sharing the charts, much appreciated!
Old 10-25-2018, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herdy View Post
l have dropped the pilot jet down to 40 which has made a bit of improvement and the spooge out of the exhaust has about gone ..but still have oiled two plugs..both while warming up the bike ...if my thinking is right it is still rich on the pilot as the engine starts instantly with out choke?

i am just going to check float height and try a 38 pilot jet as my next step

at the moment I'm running Motul 800.. 90cc to 5 litres (55:1) 175 Main 40 pilot and the EF needle middle clip sea level about 12 to 14 degrees c. Isle of Man UK
Hi Herdy,

I would not recommend the 38 pilot jet. Had similar problems on my 2018 bike and after discussing the issue with James (Dean) he recommended not to use anything smaller than a 40 pilot jet.
The stock needle seems to be the problem and additionally the too high float level.
The Motul 800 has an incredibly high flash point of 253 degrees Celsius and if you are not a very fast rider being WOT most of the time its not the right oil. Other oils have a lower flash point and burn without residue and reduce spooge.
The 2018 and 2019 Gassers seem to produce more spooge than its predecessors. I know 4 guys owing 2018's, GP's as well as EC's they all have the spooge problem. One of them belongs to the fastest guys on the planet and is a factory rider and even his has a little spooge on the can.

Hope you'll get it sorted soon and can enjoy this brilliant bike.

BTW, it seems that the US petrol is different to what we use in Europe...

Cheers
Doc
Old 10-25-2018, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Brown View Post
Hi Herdy,

I would not recommend the 38 pilot jet. Had similar problems on my 2018 bike and after discussing the issue with James (Dean) he recommended not to use anything smaller than a 40 pilot jet.
The stock needle seems to be the problem and additionally the too high float level.
The Motul 800 has an incredibly high flash point of 253 degrees Celsius and if you are not a very fast rider being WOT most of the time its not the right oil. Other oils have a lower flash point and burn without residue and reduce spooge.
The 2018 and 2019 Gassers seem to produce more spooge than its predecessors. I know 4 guys owing 2018's, GP's as well as EC's they all have the spooge problem. One of them belongs to the fastest guys on the planet and is a factory rider and even his has a little spooge on the can.

Hope you'll get it sorted soon and can enjoy this brilliant bike.

BTW, it seems that the US petrol is different to what we use in Europe...

Cheers
Doc
Hi Doc
I took a ride out last night on the road to the test we are setting out for this weekends local enduro..with the 38 pilot in it was a lot smoother around the 1/8 throttle but still a bit messy around the 1/4 throttle on the road ...also a lot less pipe bang when shut off and rolling..
around the field test after a few drag races against a 19 250ec i did notice the revs hang up a little .so adjusted the air screw in to about 1 turn out and all was good..(there was a little spooge still on the pipe) ..it was starting to get a bit cold by then so might of made things a bit richer..

Today I have been thinking i will go back up to a 40 pilot for the enduro then see if i can get hold of a Suzuki or yam needle to try next weekend.
i am considering going on to the motal 710 ..like you say has a lesser flash point plus im getting older and wiser not faster

we had Danny McCannys 18 Gp practise bike out there as well and Juan knight as a test pilot..after a lap one each he reckons the my 19 standard is on par with the 18 GP
Old 10-25-2018, 02:40 PM

Hello Herdy,

good to see you are improving the GG's settings. You'll see the needle will change a lot. The standard needles straight sector is a bit short hence it burbles a bit low down, which can be improved by a smaller pilot jet. But that masks the real problem. I am pretty sure with a different needle you will get close to pefect without the need of a leaner pilot jet.

After talking a lot to the JD guys I decided to live with a little bit of spooge, its nothing serious. A bit annoying maybe.

I'd love to see McCanny ride or anyone of the Knights. Though I am old and slow I can confirm what Julian said. As I have both, a GP18 and an RC19 I can say the 2019 feels stronger. Maybe the new ignition system and cylinder head makes the difference....

Cheers Doc

PS is there a British GG forum?