Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 07-23-2012, 08:36 AM
skraMnoR

Default 2011 EC250 to 300???

I have a 2011 EC250. I am a novice rider and I ride many tight trails. I LOVE the way the bike handles but I feel I would like more low end chugability. I have ridden a KTM 300, Husaberg 300 (ktm) and the Husvarna 300 two strokes. I like the characteristics of those motors. I like predictability and smoother transition as the power comes on. I am a low RPM type rider and my 250 seems high strung.

What would be involved with upgrading my 250 to a 300? Is there a kit? Is it even worth it? Should I just sell the 250 and buy a Gas Gas 300?

Old 07-23-2012, 09:11 AM

Cylinder, head, piston kit, gaskets, jetting. Have you tried jetting the 250 differently? Gearing? Head mod adds bottom and is cheap too. Both of my 250s can crawl like a 300 just above idle if needed, even with light flywheels. I do it a lot when riding with my 10 yr old.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:49 AM
skraMnoR

I don't mess with carbs so I would have to take it to someone for jetting. Everyone says its real easy but I find that many people spend tons of time discussing and changing jetting and still not getting it right.

I am trying to avoid putting too much money into the 250 if in the end, I still have to sell and buy a 300. If the mods are inexpensive enough, I would consider.

Any particular head mods you can recommend?
Old 07-23-2012, 05:14 PM
Super Moderator

You need to learn to jet your bike mate. Even if you buy a 300 it will need to be jetted correctly to get the most out of it. As Glenn has indicated, the jetting can make the difference between your 250 feeling like a 300 and a 125.

My 250 will still lug off idle just as clean and torquey as my 300 did. Its the power below the band thats not as strong, and then once on the pipe things are a bit more similar. The 250 does feel more aggressive, or that it needs to be ridden more aggressively to go as fast. It sounds like you'd like the characteristics of the 300 for what you do though. You can get a kit from gofasters which will set you back around $800 USD plus fluids and gaskets, then labour if you're going to have someone else do the work.

Jetting your bike yourself is a reasonably cheap exercise. A new tyre will cost you more, and the jetting will make your bike much more ridable than a new tyre will.

For head mods - http://www.gasgasrider.org/html/measuring_squish.html
Old 07-23-2012, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMP View Post
Both of my 250s can crawl like a 300 just above idle if needed, even with light flywheels.
I have all of those mods on my 250, and while I can make my 52-toothed 250 crawls down low quite well -- it ain't nothin' like even a base, non-modded 300, which will do the same thing one or sometimes two gears higher.

That's why I'm going 300 for 2013.
Old 07-23-2012, 05:48 PM
skraMnoR

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZRickD View Post
I have all of those mods on my 250, and while I can make my 52-toothed 250 crawls down low quite well -- it ain't nothin' like even a base, non-modded 300, which will do the same thing one or sometimes two gears higher.

That's why I'm going 300 for 2013.
That's kinda my point. Why mod a 250 to run "like a 300" when maybe I could just by the 300? The 3 300/2T bikes I have ridden directly after riding my 250, were all bone stock. Not jetted or modded.
Old 07-23-2012, 05:54 PM
skraMnoR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakobi View Post

Jetting your bike yourself is a reasonably cheap exercise. .....

For head mods - http://www.gasgasrider.org/html/measuring_squish.html
I may look into jetting myself but from what I have seen, there is a bit of guess work involved. Many guys seem to continually try changes. I am more of a objective person and less subjective. I can wrench on a bike all day and not run into any problems I can't handle. I currently have 6 bikes that I keep running. What I am terrible at is guessing which variable (jet sizes, clip positions) to even start off with. Then there is mixtures to consider and altitude and humidity. Etc. I will most likely just pay someone to do it.

I prefer EFI in my motorcycles. I know I have to deal with carbs for now if I want to stay in the 2T camp.

Thanks for that link and the reply!
Old 07-23-2012, 06:02 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by skraMnoR View Post
That's kinda my point. Why mod a 250 to run "like a 300" when maybe I could just by the 300? The 3 300/2T bikes I have ridden directly after riding my 250, were all bone stock. Not jetted or modded.
They may have been jetted during predelivery if not by the owner themselves. I know I'm always harping on about jetting and such, but being a mechanical engine, fuelling is a major element in how your bike runs and the power it produces. Leave the choke on all day and go for a ride and see how it feels. Probably bad, but thats not to say your bike isn't already running bad compared to how it could be.

You talk about modding your bike. I'm talking about working with what you have. A few moments of your time and maybe $30 of your coin. A good excuse to take the bike for a casual ride with a mate, and a few beers after. The beers might cost more than the jetting experience. $30 vs $800 for a top end, which will still need to be jetted, plus time to install vs whatever $$ you will lose on trade to a new bike.

I'm not talking about going over the top investing to try and make your 250 run like a 300. I'm just saying give it a chance to maybe see if you can make it fit your mould. If after that you still aren't happy with it then you haven't lost anything and the 300 will still be waiting for you.
Old 07-23-2012, 06:07 PM
Super Moderator

Jetting is objective too. With a little research you'll find some good starting points in the jetting section. We're talking about moving a small clip on the needle each direction and riding to see what feels better.

If you want to walk the easy path a JD jet kit comes with 2 needles, the mains and pilots you need, and even a suggested starting point. They cost a bit more than OEM but GMP has loved it in his. Others have had good results too, and if you go to the 300 you can carry the kit over too.

Its really a case of the best you've experienced is the best you've had and until you start to try other things you don't know what you've been missing. Sometimes the difference can be night and day.
Old 07-23-2012, 06:11 PM
skraMnoR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakobi View Post
..... until you start to try other things you don't know what you've been missing. Sometimes the difference can be night and day.
Thanks! I will look into it straight away! I guess I could always post here for some tips!