Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Electrical & Wiring

Enduro Electrical & Wiring Lighting, Ignition, Wiring, Plugs, etc.

Old 11-09-2020, 02:44 PM

Just wanted to do a follow on this thread and update what's happened on the TT thread:

I have now replaced gears, pinion, bearings, and bendix. The action is definitely much smoother now. However I was still having issues starting the bike with the arrowhead starter. So I decided I would learn how to solder and change the brushes on my OEM starter. I got that done, put it in the bike and it started right up. Very slight hesitation but it doesn't take more than 1 push of the button. I still have the 2019 OEM Skyrich 240CCA battery.

MotoCenter agreed to return the arrowhead and give me credit toward a new Rieju starter which they just got in. Kudos to them!

24V - 2 different guys on TT have done this setup and tested a bit (one guy ran it in a Enduro and said he had A LOT of starts). Both are VERY happy and have said they are going to continue to use the 24v set up because their bikes have never started better. Their setups are slightly different from each other so if you are interested in doing this I would suggest reading through that thread.

Old 11-10-2020, 10:16 AM

I got rid of the starter problems by selling the bike.

I got tired of chasing a problem that i could not solve and spent a considerable amount of money in, it is a shame that i could no use a feature that a paid for. I still loved everything else about the bike.
Old 11-10-2020, 07:20 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Thanks for letting us know eralha, and thanks for your contributions to the forum. Have success with your next moto adventure!

Jeff
Old 11-10-2020, 10:33 PM

Jeff, I don't know whether you have tried it yet but have you put another starter in to try?
I just got an ebay 410w KTM starter and re-clocked the housing. It's never started cold before but now it does. Well worth a try IMO.
Old 11-10-2020, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gez View Post
Jeff, I don't know whether you have tried it yet but have you put another starter in to try?
I just got an ebay 410w KTM starter and re-clocked the housing. It's never started cold before but now it does. Well worth a try IMO.
Gez, thanks for asking - and the answer is Yes! I took it to my dealer 2 weeks ago fully expecting it to come back with a 24V system, but when they put a new Rieju starter in it started right up!

I had tried 2 aftermarket and one other GG starter (which had to be "re-clocked", so not the original OEM) and none of them worked. Whether other tweaks I made to the system helped I cannot say - but it was definitely the starter that made the final difference in my case. I am cautiously optimistic after two rides; I'm trying to take it easy until I get the new Rieju bendix cover with bearings. I think that will free things up some more.

Very glad that you got yours working as well!

Last edited by farmerj; 11-12-2020 at 11:22 PM.
Old 11-12-2020, 05:15 PM

That's great news! It's crazy that it's not just one thing causing the no start.
Old 11-14-2020, 02:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerj View Post
Gez, thanks for asking - and the answer is Yes! I took it to my dealer 2 weeks ago fully expecting it to come back with a 24V system, but when they put a new Rieju starter in it started right up!

I had tried 2 aftermarket and one other GG starter (which had to be "re-clocked", so not the original OEM) and none of them worked. Whether other tweaks I made to the system helped I cannot say - but it was definitely the starter that made the final difference in my case. I am cautiously optimistic after two rides; I'm trying to take it easy until I get the new Rieju bendix cover with bearings. I think that will free things up some more.

Very glad that you got yours working as well!
Good to hear you got the problem solved. My mates system works now too. After almost two years of trouble.

Jeff, do you think you could provide the OEM Rieju part numbers for the starter and bendix cover with bearing. Maybe they'll appear on the invoice you get. That would be really great!

ta, Steve
Old 11-15-2020, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Brown View Post
Good to hear you got the problem solved. My mates system works now too. After almost two years of trouble.

Jeff, do you think you could provide the OEM Rieju part numbers for the starter and bendix cover with bearing. Maybe they'll appear on the invoice you get. That would be really great!

ta, Steve
Yes, when the bendix cover comes in I'll get those part numbers. Dealer said he hopes it is here soon - and thinks it will be about $70US. If so, that's less expensive for me than going to a machine shop with the old one!

Jeff
Old 11-24-2020, 04:28 AM

I've heard elsewhere that the part numbers for the bendix cover are identical, bearing or no bearing. Hope you get a new bearing type one.

I have just gone through the machine shop exercise (best mate runs an engimineering workshop) and we have fitted a BK1210 closed cup needle roller into a spare bendix cover I bought ages ago.

As they say, a coat of paint hides a multitude of sins and only a purist would pick that it's been modified.

Fitted it and only marginally better. Turns further but not over.

Today I was in the shed and had an idea. I thought 'Clearance Clarence' and just for schitzengiggles backed off the bendix cover screws. Cover didnt look like it moved, but more movement in the starter. It turned over.

I made a new gasket from .75mm paper and fitted it and first punch to warm the battery, second punch, it spins like a top.

And seems repeatable from cold. Last attempt I forgot I still had the plug in the pipe but it still wound over.

Based on previous exuberance, YMMV.
Old 11-24-2020, 05:30 PM

Ebay KTM starter update:
Rode at the local motocross track on Saturday. Bike started cold and everytime I needed it too. Although not in gear and clutch had to be released for it to light off. This could be jetting as I'm still running the 42 pj which is better suited to winter. May switch down to a 40 before my next ride.