Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Chassis & Body

Enduro Chassis & Body Enduro Frame, Plastic, Brakes, Bars, Controls, wheels, tires, sprockets & gearing.

Old 02-25-2012, 09:25 AM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Default Will a Scotts function correctly upside down?

Setting aside fitment questions, the question remains - will a Scotts damper function correctly if it is mounted upside down?

I am not talking about 'reversed" as in forward to back - I am talking about the unit actually upside down, with the knobs facing downward.

Thanks,

Jeff

Old 02-25-2012, 10:17 AM

I don't see why not, it works fine like that on the bench. Got an idea for new mount?
Old 02-25-2012, 10:17 AM

Location: From Swaziland, Now Hamilton New Zealand the “look but don’t touch” enduro heaven

I would guess that it will as it is virtually completely filled with suspension fluid
Old 02-25-2012, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMP View Post
I don't see why not, it works fine like that on the bench. Got an idea for new mount?
If I take my current Scotts Top Clamp with stabilizer attached, and turn it over (think left to right) - it will bolt down onto the stock perches in exactly the same position as it was when mounted "above bars." The now inverted link arm from the stabilizer even goes over the frame bracket pin correctly.

The Top Clamp in essence becomes a "bottom clamp;" now insert handlebars, bolt on a new Top Clamp, and "voila" - underbar mount for the cost of a new Top Clamp.

Yes, the stabilizer is upside down, making it harder to get to the adjustment knob(s). But with a 1/4-1/2" spacer between perch and "bottom clamp", it is not hard to reach under there and move the rubber pointer that is on the adjustment knob.

My goals with sub mounting are to raise the bars (I'm 6'2") - and I have a folding trial map pack attached to the bars that currently rubs on the top of the stabilizer.

A new submount/triple clamp is $250-$330 (depending upon the supplier.) Protect appears to be out of business. So I'm just brainstorming about other alternatives.

Thanks for your input!

Jeff
Old 02-25-2012, 11:34 AM

PS - To my idea, the Scotts rep. said "Not Recommended." But I am unclear whether this was said from a "customer satisfaction" point of view, or because the unit will not dampen correctly in that position.

I was wondering if being mounted upside down would change something about the interaction of the oil passages, etc. But your comments, Glenn (and Matt) make me think that there is no harm in giving it a try.

BTW - High marks for the Scotts Company. Those guys know their products, and are willing to talk. I recommend them.

Jeff
Old 02-25-2012, 04:57 PM
Silver Level Site Supporter

I just did an oil change on my daughter's GRP damper today. You actually bleed that unit upside down. Once bled, i moved it back/forth in all orientations, and it's just fine.

I would eat my hat if the Scotts wouldn't work upside down. There isn't any air in the system (hopefully), and gravity isn't a factor.

Go for it!
Old 02-25-2012, 07:03 PM
Site Sponsor

as long as it is properly bled, it will work in any position. it's hydraulic........

Stainless Cycle - Motorcycle Bolt Kits
www.stainlesscycle.com