Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > Other Bikes... > All Other Bikes...

All Other Bikes... KTM, Husky, VOR, Husaberg & Hondayamazuki...

Old 11-21-2011, 09:41 PM

Default Looks Like I got A Bad Fuel Pump

Went riding with Girard yesterday and another friend of ours Jeff. About half way through the ride the Berg back fires and dies a few feet later on the trail. Thought I might have hit the kill switch.

Eat a quick bite back at camp and continue on. Well she dies on me 5 more times. Seems to be more likely to happen when the going is slow & hot. Our temps here have been hot & humid.

Got home and did the research and it looks like I have one of the "Known" bad Berg pumps. Rich Smith is sending me a new one since it is a warranty issue. Hopefully this solves the problem. This is on my 2010 Berg.

Old 11-21-2011, 10:06 PM

Rob,

They seem to have heat related issues. A friend of mine here had a 390, and had to insulate the header and tank. Its a lot like a Cannondale, with everything packaged tight up against the fuel tank, the fuel can boil/vaporize in the tank/pump. Pumps depend on the fuel for cooling and lube.
Old 11-22-2011, 05:55 AM

Glenn,

I have the tank is insulated with the CV heat sheild and that works pretty good. There was a bad batch of fuel pumps and looks like I got one of them.
Old 11-22-2011, 07:45 AM

Thats great that Rich is sending you one. Hopefully you got the new pump.

I have installed approx 20 of the California Cycle pumps and have yet to have a come back.

They are $129.
Old 11-22-2011, 07:45 AM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomhauer View Post
Glenn,

I have the tank is insulated with the CV heat sheild and that works pretty good. There was a bad batch of fuel pumps and looks like I got one of them.
a buddy of mine got a bad one to.. pretty sure the fuel pump fixed it. same conditions as yours..

also... in talking to him... this bike, which was brand new, had a place on the harness that was shorting out on the frame..

Last edited by jhendr3702; 11-22-2011 at 08:41 AM.
Old 11-22-2011, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhendr3702 View Post
a buddy of mine got a bad one to.. pretty sure the fuel pump fixed it. same conditions as yours..

also... in talking to him... this bike, which was brand new, had a place on the harness that was shorting out on the frame..
I asked Girard to come over when I put the new one in so we can go over the bike together and inspect all connections/wires. It sucked to say the least. I was hauling the mail some what keeping up with Girard and it just acted like it ran out of gas. The 1st time Olga fired right back up. As the day went on it just got harder and hjarder to start. Luckily enough I was able to make it back to the trail head. Don't want no stinky Gas Gas towing me back in.

Scotty is that Canadian$ or USA$? I am going to get a back up just in case. Also going to put an inline filter where the quick connect is and also a fuel sock.

Rich is in Vegas right now but will ship one to me this Saturday. Rich and Smith's Power Sports are awesome!
Old 11-22-2011, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomhauer View Post
I asked Girard to come over when I put the new one in so we can go over the bike together and inspect all connections/wires. It sucked to say the least. I was hauling the mail some what keeping up with Girard and it just acted like it ran out of gas. The 1st time Olga fired right back up. As the day went on it just got harder and hjarder to start. Luckily enough I was able to make it back to the trail head. Don't want no stinky Gas Gas towing me back in.

Scotty is that Canadian$ or USA$? I am going to get a back up just in case. Also going to put an inline filter where the quick connect is and also a fuel sock.

Rich is in Vegas right now but will ship one to me this Saturday. Rich and Smith's Power Sports are awesome!
I will go by and have him show me where it was.. He told me he thought it was heat related, but actually was terrain was getting rougher and shaking the harness.. will report back..
Old 11-22-2011, 09:42 AM

Rob,

Go over everything that can touch/chafe on the frame and double insulate it. The high temps, dirt, and vibration will work on the harness in a bad way. Reroute/restrain anything that can possibly touch the motor. Ceramic coat the exhaust. Not sure but if the air temp sensor is in the airbox, insulate it to minimaize the possibility of false (high) readings which will cause the ECU to lean the mixture. More of a problem in the woods than the fast open trails. Lafferty has even had problems. My friend gave up and sold his after multiple issues and sensor failures, but our terrain is much more technical so the bike got much hotter. Like the Cannondale but to a lesser extent, the thermal issues were not thought out well enough IMO. Its a cool bike but needs a little detailing. EFI is great but is no free lunch. Good luck.
Old 11-22-2011, 10:46 AM

With wiring harnesses, if you're gonna' go through the whole bike, you can use split loom:

http://www.cabletiesandmore.com/wire...FWICQAodl0lm9Q

We install driver assist systems in snowplows in Alaska, and they are really hard on wiring (vibration, corrosive de-icers, etc.) we loom EVERYTHING and haven't had any wiring failures. The stuff is cheap, and works great.
Old 11-22-2011, 12:53 PM

Thats good stuff, lots of it in my Toyota Tundra. I used a lot of the spiral wrap as we have a lot here at work, and it works well for general retention and abrasion protection, not bulky and compresses the wiring. For potential hot surface contact, and fuel line insulation, I got some high temp silicone coated nomex tubing from McMaster.