Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 06-07-2017, 10:59 AM

Default Is GasGas missing an opportunity?

Just curious how many prospective new owners, or even current owners of GasGas would view Dirt Bike Channel as a positive or credible source of information about new bikes?

Kyle has 70k followers on his channel and is transparent about being just a real world rider who shares his opinions on a variety of bikes.

Seems like GasGas might benefit from this exposure especially with the current culture and task of building the brand back up.

The fact that Sherco and Beta jumped in points to the fact that they view Dirt Bike Channel as a positive and valuable tool.

https://youtu.be/rJ8eUSMBc48

Not 100% sure if Kyle is referring specifically to GasGas as the manufacturer who chose not to get involved, but if so, just wondering if they're missing out on an opportunity?

Old 06-07-2017, 11:50 AM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by firffighter View Post
Just curious how many prospective new owners, or even current owners of GasGas would view Dirt Bike Channel as a positive or credible source of information about new bikes?

Kyle has 70k followers on his channel and is transparent about being just a real world rider who shares his opinions on a variety of bikes.

Seems like GasGas might benefit from this exposure especially with the current culture and task of building the brand back up.

The fact that Sherco and Beta jumped in points to the fact that they view Dirt Bike Channel as a positive and valuable tool.

https://youtu.be/rJ8eUSMBc48

Not 100% sure if Kyle is referring specifically to GasGas as the manufacturer who chose not to get involved, but if so, just wondering if they're missing out on an opportunity?
This is my own personal opinion. And I know a lot of people disagree with me. But I can't stand that guy. Maybe it's just me but he seems to know almost nothing about bikes. Other than the obvious things that anyone can read about. His reviews are neither in depth or interesting. However, he would be a good advertising opportunity since apparently 70K people do not share my opinion.
Old 06-07-2017, 12:58 PM

That's good to know that someone, like yourself, who already has the solid dirt bike knowledge base, views Dirt Bike Channel as, let's say, fluff.

I would totally agree, and would add that someone who already owns a GasGas is most likely a knowledgeable dirt bike owner and the channel serves no usefulness. I would rank myself in that category and see dirt bike channel as simply entertainment rather than useful information that sways my future purchasing.

But, to a NEW perspective buyer, someone who is unfamiliar with GasGas, this might be a valuable resource for GasGas to market.
Old 06-07-2017, 03:00 PM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by firffighter View Post
That's good to know that someone, like yourself, who already has the solid dirt bike knowledge base, views Dirt Bike Channel as, let's say, fluff.

I would totally agree, and would add that someone who already owns a GasGas is most likely a knowledgeable dirt bike owner and the channel serves no usefulness. I would rank myself in that category and see dirt bike channel as simply entertainment rather than useful information that sways my future purchasing.

But, to a NEW perspective buyer, someone who is unfamiliar with GasGas, this might be a valuable resource for GasGas to market.
I'm glad that people enjoy it because I'm glad about anything that gets people into bikes. More bikes means a louder voice for positive influence and more riding area's will be opened or stay open. It means more aftermarket support and more innovation from manufactures.

I'm sure Kyle is a great guy. I appreciate that he is always kind and never forceful with his opinion (my own sin) But he strikes me as someone who has never opened the bottom end of an engine or even changed his own tires. Since I don't trust his wisdom I wouldn't trust it on what bikes he likes either.

I mean seriously! The guy likes Mikuni Carbs!!!

All that to say. If people watch it its worth an opportunity.
Old 06-07-2017, 03:56 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubbornDutchman View Post
This is my own personal opinion. And I know a lot of people disagree with me. But I can't stand that guy. Maybe it's just me but he seems to know almost nothing about bikes. Other than the obvious things that anyone can read about. His reviews are neither in depth or interesting. However, he would be a good advertising opportunity since apparently 70K people do not share my opinion.
You are not alone, he is a goober but i think he is doing more good than harm. All i have to do is not watch his videos and he doesnt bother me
Old 06-07-2017, 08:02 PM

I agree with the previous opinions. He doesn't seem very experienced but I still find myself watching some of his videos because they do give you some general information of what he is riding/testing. I think that any exposure would be good for Gas Gas. General information would be what Gas Gas needs to get out there to sell bikes and convert riders to the brand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-07-2017, 08:25 PM
Bronze Level Site Supporter

Default average guy

I watch his stuff sometimes if I see something / bike that catches my interest I think he appeals to the average guy and youngsters. I do believe he can help sell bikes. But I think he is a little orange brainwashed as most average guys are, I see that he's got both a sherco and beta 300 2t now . I am curious as to what he says though . But his opinion would hold no sway over me, it is interesting in fact almost always interesting to hear about dirtbikes. I think the only reporting guy I believe credible for his honest opinion is Chilly . I enjoy reading dirt bike but I don't believe them anymore.
I think it would be good for the brand - any brand to get on the internet advertising brainwash bandwagon.
Stoby
Old 06-07-2017, 11:11 PM

Kyle is local to me and rides within my riding group though Ive yet to be out with him. I don't watch a lot of his videos unless he's riding in an area I haven't ridden. Then I just like to see new terrain. I can say he is a fast and experienced rider. He rides a lot as well. As for liking the Mikuni carb? I have another friend with an '18 KTM with the Mikuni and he really liked it as well. Another very experienced fast rider. It my have something to do with our altitude? I'm not sure and don't have any first hand experience with it yet. Just my 2c.
1997 KX60
1983 Yami Tri-Zinger
1984 Suzuki Alt 50
1969 Trail 90
1971 Trail 90
1972 Trail 90
Old 06-08-2017, 06:58 AM

I watch his video's. I would say they are geared towards newer and in experienced riders. I do like them for what they are. He does strike me as someone who hasn't adjusted a power valve or messed its with its timing. So I would say a majority of riders. I bet most people just ride bikes as they come.

I do think he is the only person on the planet who doesn't say anything bad about the stock ktm suspension.

Is GasGas missing an opportunity? Who knows? He was not a fan of the Yamaha suspension and with KYB being on the Gasser he may not like it. So the old adage. "There is no such thing as bad press"

Not saying he'd give it, I just think you'd need to be prepared for it. I think he does a great job at remaining objective and telling it how he feels. He has a lot of followers. It would get the name out.

I actually was thinking of inviting him here to the East Coast to ride some of our stuff.

1999 GG EC 250 Six Days
1999 Cagiva Gran Canyon
2001 Aprilia Falco
2001 Triumph Speed Triple for my 20 year old
2000 GG XC250 for my 20 year old
2003 Honda Rancher 350 for the wife
Old 06-08-2017, 11:34 AM

Good to know that the more experienced guys view Kyle similarly to myself. I watch the videos and think he's doing a great job of promoting the sport and introducing bikes to potential new riders. His demeanor comes across as genuine and although he doesn't have a depth of knowledge, his passion for riding comes through.

I agree that his bias toward KTM is apparent and after I rode a '17 TE300 last Fall, Kyle is nuts in thinking the '17 is such a great bike. It's the worst jetted bike I've ever ridden and the suspension is geared for, at best slow intermediate riders.

There's a risk in approaching Kyle with a GasGas review, but it would certainly get the brand new recognition from folks who probably are unfamiliar with GasGas. Beta and Sherco are using him, so I'd venture to guess they see value in the Dirt Bike Channel's exposure.

Its difficult finding a media outlet you can trust in the off road market. The magazines are out of touch with the true woods riders. I loved Trail Rider back in the day and their bike reviews were great. Chilly was a great resource as well.

A couple sources I've began to follow recently and trust their insights are Traction E Rag, and Barry's YouTube cross training enduro skills.