Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 10-15-2017, 07:56 AM

Default Need advice on buying my first GG

So I've been reading on and eyeballing gasgas bikes for probably 6 months now. First off, everything I read or see, I like and I want. I currently have a built xr400r and a built kdx200. I've been wanting a bike that divides the two and excels at what both the kdx and xr4 do. Xr4 is great for long trail rides and exploring for several days. The kdx is great for single track, tight technical stuff, and plane old having fun. I also want the option to plate. Naturally, I've found the GG ec250/300 to fit this bill.

I've been looking at GG bikes for 6 months now, more a
Specifically the ec300. What I found is that used bikes are rare and move fast, always within a month of posting, especially if plated. I've also seen a ton, and a mean a ton of 2011 bikes; what's up with that?

I've recently started looking at ec250's to brouden my search since finding a GG tough business. Is there anything majorly different between the ec250/300? I've heard the 250 is pretty tunable to make it ride smoother like a 300. I've also heard that some 250s came with a weighted flywheel and to look for those as they are less agressive when hitting the powerband.

I recently found a guy 2 hrs from me with a 2011 ec250. It's street titled and plated and has a few aftermarket goodies such as skid plate, aluminum pipe guard, flexx bars, cycra CRM guards, but besides those bolt ons it's seamingly stock. He's asking $3500. It has probably 50hrs on the top end he did in 2014. In my opinion that's at least $500 too high, any thoughts?

BTW I'm in Kentucky and will travel up to 6 hours for a bike. Please keep me in mind if you hear of anything around me!

Thanks for any and all information!

Luke

Old 10-15-2017, 03:49 PM

Location: From Swaziland, Now Hamilton New Zealand the “look but don’t touch” enduro heaven

There is almost no difference between the 250 and 300 ... with changing the piston and barrel you can make it a 300. Jakobi here did the change on a 2010 and can accurately tell you the difference but from my experience the 250 is just a little more fun

Reason for all the 2011's is possibly that was the year after a successful 2010 bike and the year before the start of gg road to bankruptcy with the 2012 bikes being all new but with a faulty air filter system resulting in engineers being fired and the bike only being released very late well after potential buyers had already looked elsewhere
Old 10-15-2017, 04:50 PM

Thanks for the reply.

When you say the 250's are more fun, could you elaborate?

Also what are the pros/cons. Of the early 2000 models? I found an 01/02 and have see a few of those rolling around but never looked into them much.
Old 10-15-2017, 07:06 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

I had 02 200. Have a 07 300. Mate's have had 250s and 300s from 07 to almost new.

I prefer my old one as the new ones got a bit taller/bigger and I'm not tall.

The 300s are torque monsters but can also sing. The 250s are more aggressive. For my skill level the 300 seems easier.
Stock they are jetted badly but that's a needle change away.

I rode a 200 way back and my kdx felt rubbish when I got back on. The 300 a mate bought made me then 'need' a 300.

The xr400 felt like landing a block of flats.(apartment to you). But it was too tall for me to start the damn thing.

An 02? Wellll heck depending on the owner but 90% likely to be worn out and 4th owner abused. Nothing like old dirt bikes to make you reevaluate your opinion of other people.
'22 765 Street Triple RS
'21 XTrainer
'69 Stinger T125 Suzuki
'23 TRS 250RR (it's a Trials thing)
Old 10-15-2017, 08:04 PM

Yeah I have a feeling the kdx and xr4 will quickly be pushed to the side once I get a GG.
Old 10-15-2017, 08:56 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by (F5) View Post
The 300s are torque monsters but can also sing. The 250s are more aggressive. For my skill level the 300 seems easier.
This is it...

As Swazi said, the bikes are the same chassis, same bottom end (inc rod), and the only mechanic difference is the bore (cylinder, piston, head) and I think the 250 CDI might run a bit more advance.

While on paper it doesn't look like much, in action they show themselves in difference colours.

The 250 feels more nimble and responsive. It likes to be flicked and thrown around and you'll get the most joy from it when (ab)using the clutch and keeping it singing. It'll lug down alright and still has enough grunt to take you where it needs to go but an aggressive riding style will bring out it's best traits.

The 300 has big punch right off idle which can make it want to stand up more in corners, making it feel less nimble and more planted. The engine will pull your arms out if you try to crank the throttle everywhere, but as F5 has said above, if you knock it up a gear and let the torque work for you they can be quite easy to ride. They have a broader spread of power and less critical of both where you are in the rev range and what gear you're in.

Both bikes once tuned make similar peak power, but the 300 feels like it's always 1000rpm ahead of the 250. I like the softer bottom end and the faster transition through the mid that the smaller bike has, but it's not for everyone. The 300 typically comes with a few more vibrations free of charge too!

Bottom line, I would happily ride either. I'd buy the bike you can find in the condition that matches the price they'll take and the work you need to put in to make it what you want. Down the track if you decide to change the capacity it won't cost a whole lot more than it would to have a cylinder recoated and new piston anyway.
Old 10-15-2017, 11:42 PM

Location: From Swaziland, Now Hamilton New Zealand the “look but don’t touch” enduro heaven

Now this looks like good timing

http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=23015
Old 10-16-2017, 01:04 AM

If planning to use on the blacktop, don't discount the 200 / 250 models. In the UK, our trails are few and far between and we have to use trail / enduro bikes on the road. I'm increasingly convinced that 300s struggle to cope with prolonged higher speed use. My old EC200 worked far better in this context than current husaberg te 300.

As an aside, I've found the ktm / husaberg experience very disappointing and will most likely be selling my husaberg once we can get the thing running properly and can move it on in good conscience. I'll be returning to GG, either a 200 or 250. Might even scrape together the funds for my first ever new bike if I can find a deal on a 2018.
Old 10-16-2017, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swazi_matt View Post
I just saw this pop up on advrider too.

Thank you all so much for the info. I'm going to try and look at this 250 if possible this week.
Old 10-17-2017, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakobi View Post
This is it...

As Swazi said, the bikes are the same chassis, same bottom end (inc rod), and the only mechanic difference is the bore (cylinder, piston, head) and I think the 250 CDI might run a bit more advance.

While on paper it doesn't look like much, in action they show themselves in difference colours.

The 250 feels more nimble and responsive. It likes to be flicked and thrown around and you'll get the most joy from it when (ab)using the clutch and keeping it singing. It'll lug down alright and still has enough grunt to take you where it needs to go but an aggressive riding style will bring out it's best traits.

The 300 has big punch right off idle which can make it want to stand up more in corners, making it feel less nimble and more planted. The engine will pull your arms out if you try to crank the throttle everywhere, but as F5 has said above, if you knock it up a gear and let the torque work for you they can be quite easy to ride. They have a broader spread of power and less critical of both where you are in the rev range and what gear you're in.

Both bikes once tuned make similar peak power, but the 300 feels like it's always 1000rpm ahead of the 250. I like the softer bottom end and the faster transition through the mid that the smaller bike has, but it's not for everyone. The 300 typically comes with a few more vibrations free of charge too!

Bottom line, I would happily ride either. I'd buy the bike you can find in the condition that matches the price they'll take and the work you need to put in to make it what you want. Down the track if you decide to change the capacity it won't cost a whole lot more than it would to have a cylinder recoated and new piston anyway.
Having raced both the 250 and the 300, I agree with everything posted above. Spot on.