Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 10-10-2015, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12Bravo View Post
Ok, after re-read this post and seeing where I am with this bike. This is what I have come up with, correct me if I am wrong or am going in the wrong direction.

Bike is running rich in the lower RPM range.
Having lots of spooge is caused from running rich or having higher flashpoint oil, mine is a 175 degree F oil, leads me to think again I am running rich.

I pulled the needle and I have "N1EC" on the 3rd Clip, which is into the rich area, right?

I pulled the pilot jet, I think, the one that is straight under the drain cap and uses a 6mm socket to get out. There is NO marking on it, at ALL, nothing. Just a brass thingy...lol.

SO, I have no clue what my jet is, I know the needle is on a rich setting.

Should I just move the clip up one or two and see how it runs? Or, pull the jet, replace with a marked on and get a baseline from there?
You need to figure out what jets are in the carb before doing much of anything else. You've identified the needle and clip position, now you need to determine the main and pilot jets.

The main jet is the stubby little hexagonal 6mm brass that you removed. Look closely, there will be a number stamped on it, likely something between 165 and 180. The pilot jet is next door to the the main in a recessed circular pocket. It is removed by turning anti-clockwise using a narrow flat blade screwdriver. They look like this: https://www.google.ca/search?q=pictu...E443RMtNjxM%3A It too will be stamped with a number, something between 35 and 45 I would imagine.

Keep digging ... good luck man ... it's all a learning experience.

Old 10-10-2015, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP4 View Post
You need to figure out what jets are in the carb before doing much of anything else. You've identified the needle and clip position, now you need to determine the main and pilot jets.

The main jet is the stubby little hexagonal 6mm brass that you removed. Look closely, there will be a number stamped on it, likely something between 165 and 180. The pilot jet is next door to the the main in a recessed circular pocket. It is removed by turning anti-clockwise using a narrow flat blade screwdriver. They look like this: https://www.google.ca/search?q=pictu...E443RMtNjxM%3A It too will be stamped with a number, something between 35 and 45 I would imagine.

Keep digging ... good luck man ... it's all a learning experience.
I didn't pull the pilot jet, but I did pull the main jet. There is nothing on it, literally, I took a magnifying class and there is nothing on it!

Do I need to remove the bottom pan to get the pilot jet out? Main was easy, just pull the plug.

One thing I did do just to see what it would do, maybe a big mistake, but I did it. Moved the clip up to number one position. Put it all back together adjusted the idle screw to 1.5 out and the ASO to 2 out. Started the bike and it bogged out. Adjusted the ASO to 1.5 out and left the Idle screw alone, perfect! Idles good and will even idle in gear now. One thing I noticed was the throttle response, when the ASO was at 2 out, blipping the throttle bogged. Adjusted to 1.5 out and now it has good response. Will know tomorrow how it does in the field, raining right now.

Will be pulling the plug to see what it looks like, it was new and only has maybe 1.5 hours on it. Might stop and get another to have a fresh start to see how lean or rich it is running.

I will dig deeper in the pilot jet and main jet tomorrow. But the main has no markings at all, I have a really good once over with glass and NOTHING is on it.
Old 10-10-2015, 06:25 PM

All jets have a number stamped on them. If you don't know what main you have, replace with the factory recommended stock number. You need to know what you're working with.

You will need to remove the bowl (bottom of carb) to remove the pilot jet on an AS1 (Air Striker 1) carb.

By raising the clip to the top position on the needle you have leaned it out. Turning in the airscrew richens the idle circuit - that's the only area it has an affect on.

I'm no jetting expert, but you want to start from a relatively neutral setting and then adjust one circuit at a time, starting with the idle circuit (pilot jet and airscrew) and then go up from there.

Once you know what jets you have, try clip 2 or 3 on the needle and see if you can get a good idle with the A/S between 1.5 and 2.5 turns out, without having to screw the idle screw way in - the spring is not all bound up. If you can achieve that, your pilot is good. If you can't, but it gets better as the airscrew is turned in, you need a richer pilot. If it gets better as it is turned out, you need a leaner pilot.

Once you got that sorted, you can move on to the needle and main.

And remember, when jetting, the bike must be at operating temps, and you can't just make changes and then whack the throttle to see what the effect is. Adjust the A/S in 1/4 turns, do a lap around the lawn, and see what's changed. Same for the needle and clip. Main is a little different. Only change one thing at a time, and be patient.
Old 10-10-2015, 08:22 PM

The jet was drilled.
The bike has probably been modified to some degree and jetted to precision for climate and elevation.A good shop should get you a ballpark on the main.

So many variables at work here.You need to find some guys that ride with a good turner in the bunch.A shop really can't help you on this one.You jet the bike where you ride the bike.Not down the alley behind a bike shop.