Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > Ride Reports

Ride Reports Tell us all the gorey details!

Old 05-08-2012, 12:10 PM

Default Shelton Valley Enduro

Thought I would share another ride report from the great Northwest.

Did the Shelton Valley Enduro on Sunday and what an amazing event. It is held on private land that is only used twice a year for events. This is premier singletrack and is about as good as it gets in the Northwest. This is an old fashioned time keeper enduro, which makes it even more fun!

My brother and I and a friend signed up the the long course (85+miles), got our minute, loaded extra fuel on the gas trailer, sound checked and off!

We were early by 1 minute on our first 2 checks and the conditions were perfect. Flowing singletrack in between 2nd-3rd gear, loamy soil roots everywhere and the Gasgas performing flawlessly.

Hit the fuel stop and we rested a bit and lost 5 minutes on the 3rd check, but we were just out for a fun ride, so no big deal. Weaving between trees with lots of tight turns marked the 3rd check, very fun.

We rested again just before the 4th check and we were still feeling good and having fun. Out of the 40 miles at least 30 was singletrack! Amazing!

Then, at mile 40, they decided to amp things up. Nasty tight deep woods with LOTS of mud! Tough ups and downs with roots everywhere. I've never abused the clutch so much in my life! I hit the wall hard (had a bad cold and found out I had a bit of a fever) and stalled several times and bit it a couple times as well.

I finally made it to the short and long course split at mile 51. We decided to cut this thing short and we were 30+minutes off by now! I rested a bit and found the spring on my kickstand had come off, but was able to get it back on with no fuss.

The last 9 miles were more torture. Deep woods, mud, roots and lots technical ups and downs. Found a guy who blew a corner and was way down in a ravine, found a guy on a Husaberg looped out and totally spent and I tried to tow in a Husaberg 390 (no fuel) with about 2 miles to go, but towing in mud bogs and singletrack just dont work.

Made it in and was totally spent, but a huge smile on my face. I would say that out of the 60 miles, at least 50 of it was true singletrack! No loops, just mile after mile of pristine singletrack

My '03 Gasgas EC250 performed flawlessly the whole 60 miles! Grunted up, down and through the nasties without a hickup. It sliced and diced the singletrack nicely and my Ohlins suspension worked spot on. I love this bike!

Long course next year (90 miles) for sure. Autoclutch will be added first though

BTW, lots of comments on the bikes (my brother has the same bike), and we pitted next to a guy with an '11 EC300 Six Days. What a beautiful bike! He did the long course and said the bike was perfect as well.

Gasgas and the Northwest are a perfect match!

Old 05-09-2012, 05:59 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

This is how my long course ride went.... Ok you want more I bet!

Russ if you thought the short course was sweet, imagine twice as much fun plus some. The hills on the second loop were fricken steep and gnar. I was minute 17 and they got chewed up by the time I came through.

Great day except the computer I meant to use quit working when I mounted it first thing in the morning so I rode that ol Timekeeper from the seat of the pants. No odo just a wrist watch and a roll chart.. Only check I burned was check #1 .

Ended up only dropping 11 points total, for a middle of the pack finish in open A 5th out of 10. Not too bad for my first timekeeper in around 3 years.

By the way I got some pretty good footage on the go pro of some of the first loop.

Roscoe

My clean Gas Gas really makes those dirty KTM's look dirty..... My friend Carol in awe of my Gas Gas off to the left, love it! Ha Ha yeah she rides a KTM too!

Huge thanks: GAS GAS OFFROAD US, Skagit Powersports, Cycle Gear, LTRacing, Scorpion Racing, users of GasGasrider.org, and CFMC!
Old 05-09-2012, 07:30 PM

That's awesome Roscoe, nice job! That was such a fun day and cant wait to do it again next year!

I think we saw you right before the start. I only saw 2 other Gassers there besides ours.

I'm in for the long course for sure next year, but have to get in some more riding before the event. Being off the bike over the long winter killed me. Maybe a couple of trips to Belfair will help. Wish I could come up next weekend, but I'm on shift

We rode with Russ Henry which was a hoot. Great guy and humbled my brother and I in the singletrack.

I would love to see your GoPro footage.

I took a Lawn Dart get-off after the 2nd check and would have blasted my GoPro
Old 05-12-2012, 10:55 PM

Default twins

I'm the white YZF rider that stopped and talked with you guys, glad coming from Oregon you both had fun. Didn't know Roscoe was parked next to you or I would have been sure to say hi to him to. I did terrible but had a great time and in my book that's what it's all about!