Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 09-14-2014, 01:13 AM

Default How do you haul your bikes?

Not sure if this has been covered before, but I am just curious how you guys haul your bikes around? I've been resisting buying a truck for years and have been getting along with a little harbor freight trailer for yard work and bike hauling. While I will most likely finally bite the bullet and buy a truck this year, my little trailer has served me well. I've had it for over ten years and it's been through several configurations. The most recent was just done to accommodate a couple of friends driving down from Seattle to meet me here at my house in Northern Utah, then cruise down to Moab for a few days.

I was able to easily fit three bikes on the trailer by building telescoping bars for the outside bikes to tie down to.

What do you haul with?

1997 KX60
1983 Yami Tri-Zinger
1984 Suzuki Alt 50
1969 Trail 90
1971 Trail 90
1972 Trail 90

Old 09-14-2014, 07:13 AM

Love the trail 90 next to the Gasser. Go anywhere you want, as long as you're not in a hurry.
Old 09-14-2014, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhunter007 View Post
Love the trail 90 next to the Gasser. Go anywhere you want, as long as you're not in a hurry.
That's for sure. I have several of them and that one was in the worst shape so I put a pitbike motor in it. Turns out it's the one I always ride. It's just dumb fun.
1997 KX60
1983 Yami Tri-Zinger
1984 Suzuki Alt 50
1969 Trail 90
1971 Trail 90
1972 Trail 90
Old 09-14-2014, 09:18 AM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

2000 Dodge Ram Van. Former Metro Vanpool rig bought at surplus. Pulled the rear seats, installed a tie bar on the bottom of the front bench, and way we go. It has a factory hitch, so I use a hitch hauler for two or more big bikes, or multiple little bikes.

And, it can haul two road race bikes (plus one on the hitch) if you desire:

Old 09-14-2014, 09:43 AM

A friend of mine used to use a dodge van similar in setup to pscook's
Worked ok til it rusted out.

I just use a pickup myself, as I have to use a truck all week long anyways.

Last edited by 3beejay3; 09-14-2014 at 09:07 PM.
Old 09-14-2014, 09:55 AM

I use a hitch hauler quite a bit as well behind my BMW X5. It's really easy and quick. Plus people always seem to be using my trailer when I want to go ride.

I love the idea of a van. Especially if a couple bikes will fit inside. I keep mentioning a sprinter van to the wife but she just rolls her eyes and goes back to whatever it is she is doing.
1997 KX60
1983 Yami Tri-Zinger
1984 Suzuki Alt 50
1969 Trail 90
1971 Trail 90
1972 Trail 90
Old 09-14-2014, 11:04 AM

I got a "Plain Jane" 6x10 enclosed trailer. Nobody borrows it, which is why it stills looks new. Looks like every other small contractor's trailer...noone pays it any attention. Still need to install a full length awning on the "man door" side...covered seating, rain or shine. Everything inside is easily removable, for general hauling. Heated, stereo, blah blah. Won't go riding or racing without it. It's downright comfy...I must be getting old
Old 09-14-2014, 11:49 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhunter007 View Post
I got a "Plain Jane" 6x10 enclosed trailer. Nobody borrows it, which is why it stills looks new. Looks like every other small contractor's trailer...noone pays it any attention. Still need to install a full length awning on the "man door" side...covered seating, rain or shine. Everything inside is easily removable, for general hauling. Heated, stereo, blah blah. Won't go riding or racing without it. It's downright comfy...I must be getting old
I did the same - 6 X 10 wells cargo with side door and "barn doors" in the rear. I installed e-track - bolting three rails to the floor and welded it to one wall to secure loads. Also have removable pingel wheel chocks so that it can easily be used for general hauling.

I found a reasonably priced aluminum cabinet and mounted it up front. See here :

http://pitproducts.com/collections/o...4-foot-trailer

I also put a "workstation" on one of the rear doors of the trailer...

http://pitproducts.com/collections/w...station-senior

It is nice to have bikes secure and hidden from view for overnight trips, etc. No stickers or decals on the outside so that no hint is given about what is inside the trailer....

jeff
Old 09-14-2014, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmaster View Post
I did the same - 6 X 10 wells cargo with side door and "barn doors" in the rear. I installed e-track - bolting three rails to the floor and welded it to one wall to secure loads. Also have removable pingel wheel chocks so that it can easily be used for general hauling.

I found a reasonably priced aluminum cabinet and mounted it up front. See here :

http://pitproducts.com/collections/o...4-foot-trailer

I also put a "workstation" on one of the rear doors of the trailer...

http://pitproducts.com/collections/w...station-senior

It is nice to have bikes secure and hidden from view for overnight trips, etc. No stickers or decals on the outside so that no hint is given about what is inside the trailer....

jeff
IMO, the 6x10 is the optimum size...correctly stuffed, a gang of bikes fit inside. I find it perfect for the "one man" overnight haul. I put the bike on a stand, against a wall...I sleep on a cot opposite the bike. Card table & chair up front...portable motel room. Everything inside at night. No windows...I figure I can exit barrel first. Did a 3 day trip recently. Keep my crap picked up & organized...makes for a tidy affair. A self-contained portable shower makes trail grime cleanup almost a pleasure. Fairly light as well. I pulled mine for over a year with an S10 with 200k on the odo. I can bairly feel it behind my Dodge.
Old 09-14-2014, 08:41 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

I have a Nissan Frontier with a hitch hauler. My lifestyle and location dictates owning a truck but I hate loading a bike into the bed as I'm short and some of the worst bike damage and injuries have come from that.

I recently bought a hitch hauler and like it but I'm paranoid and use like 5 straps. I'd love to get an enclosed trailer or a van and keep everything out of site.