Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 09-20-2015, 11:07 PM

Default Don't forget your knee/shin armor

Today I was riding some loose babyhead rock, overgrown singletrack. For the conditions I was moving at a decent clip (~15mph), when I got deflected a bit and hit my shin squarely into the tip of one of those dead fall lodgepole pines that fall pointing downhill like a jousting lance.

The tree tip snapped and I felt the impact, but forgot about it till we stopped for lunch a while later and noticed this:

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

The wood plug was wedged into a vent slot in my knee/shin guard, just above the boot top. No blood or bruises (Orange pants were on sale)

Old 09-21-2015, 05:36 AM

Those are some nice looking orange pants. Glad the gear worked. I wonder how many bumps and nicks we take during a season that would end our day if we didn't have proper gear.
Old 09-21-2015, 11:49 AM

Nice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
04 Sherco 2.9 trials bike
00 Aprilia Caponord ETV 1000
93 Kawasaki KLX 650
Old 09-21-2015, 02:08 PM

Yep, your shin bone is super exposed to getting a good whack (elbow would also be in this category).

One time I forgot my shin guards I didn't even make it out of the car park area before damage! Foot slipped off the kick start and I ran my shin down the footpeg pain!
Old 10-02-2015, 05:23 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

I have yet to find a pair of knee guards that match the comfort and protection of these old roller blade knee guards I picked up 20 years ago. I hate putting them on because I can't wash the stink out of them, but can't afford to take the risk of not having them on!
Old 10-02-2015, 07:13 PM

Default Don't forget your knee/shin armor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Overstreet View Post
I have yet to find a pair of knee guards that match the comfort and protection of these old roller blade knee guards I picked up 20 years ago. I hate putting them on because I can't wash the stink out of them, but can't afford to take the risk of not having them on!

Put them in a bag with a dryer sheet and they will smell good as new. I use to do this with my old Arai helmet because you couldnt take the liner out and wash it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 10-02-2015, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphis2857 View Post
Put them in a bag with a dryer sheet and they will smell good as new. I use to do this with my old Arai helmet because you couldnt take the liner out and wash it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yeah...that MIGHT work. Tell you what, I'll let you do a sniff test at the next race ...
Old 10-02-2015, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Overstreet View Post
Yeah...that MIGHT work. Tell you what, I'll let you do a sniff test at the next race ...

I'll do it if you will just show up and hang out. Always enjoy your company

Old 10-02-2015, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluespark View Post
Today I was riding some loose babyhead rock, overgrown singletrack. For the conditions I was moving at a decent clip (~15mph), when I got deflected a bit and hit my shin squarely into the tip of one of those dead fall lodgepole pines that fall pointing downhill like a jousting lance.

The tree tip snapped and I felt the impact, but forgot about it till we stopped for lunch a while later and noticed this:

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

The wood plug was wedged into a vent slot in my knee/shin guard, just above the boot top. No blood or bruises (Orange pants were on sale)
So what knee/shin guard are you using, and what brand boots? Lots of mt bike riding in my youth, produced some big calves. I can barely get the straps on my boots latched, (even now as an old man losing muscle mass by the second) much less use shin / knee guards.
Old 10-02-2015, 10:40 PM

Leatt makes some nice ones that go inside a boot and don't take up much room. I have the 3DF model