Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 09-26-2015, 10:40 AM

There are just to many options for a new rider that doesn't know what style of riding they will like the most. Most the information I am finding is for expensive rubbers, that don't last very long or are for rubbers that wear out way to fast for my poor butt to afford to keep replacing......ugh......Learning new stuff is frustrating at time!

Old 09-26-2015, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12Bravo View Post
There are just to many options for a new rider that doesn't know what style of riding they will like the most. Most the information I am finding is for expensive rubbers, that don't last very long or are for rubbers that wear out way to fast for my poor butt to afford to keep replacing......ugh......Learning new stuff is frustrating at time!
Here is what you do.

1. Where are you located?

2. Go to a trusted mc shop and ask questions.

3. Dont by Dunlop's.....too expensive and wear very quickly.

4. Read.....read....read... the interweb is loaded with good info.....take your time and filter out the b.s!

5. This site is full of great guys who love their dirt bikes.....ask questions.....but questions about tires, oil, fuel, will only get you more confused.

6. Use the "search" feature of this site.........all stones have been turned over more than once!!

Good luck....enjoy your new toy and most of all spend time reading the volumous info this site provides.
AMA D36
375X
OTHG
375S

***Thanks for the support : Twin Air /O'Neil Racing / Race 100% / Matrix Concepts / ODI / Mika Metals
Old 09-26-2015, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphis2857 View Post
Ah! I missed a key factor here. I ride a 300.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
All good!
AMA D36
375X
OTHG
375S

***Thanks for the support : Twin Air /O'Neil Racing / Race 100% / Matrix Concepts / ODI / Mika Metals
Old 09-26-2015, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick View Post
3. Dont by Dunlop's.....too expensive and wear very quickly.
While I typically agree with this statement the AT81 lasts a very long time and is a pretty good all around tire. One of the slower riders in our group got nearly 70 hours out of one.

Also there are lots of cheap tires out there that work really well. Sedona being one and another that I have seen more and more people running is the Shinko.

If you haven't ridden in a very long time we can assume that you aren't going to come out of the gate as an A or B level rider so any new tire is going to make you happy. As Rick said find out what your local guy sells and spend some money in his shop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-26-2015, 06:01 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

One other option is to pick up a used tire from someone who races they will change them out often . Maybe 1 or 2 rides ?
Old 09-26-2015, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Dud View Post
One other option is to pick up a used tire from someone who races they will change them out often . Maybe 1 or 2 rides ?
That's a good idea, we have two tracks close by. I might head that way next race day and ask around. Who knows might come home with a few to try and see where I am at. If anything, a few to last till I get good enough to make a difference.
Old 09-26-2015, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphis2857 View Post
While I typically agree with this statement the AT81 lasts a very long time and is a pretty good all around tire. One of the slower riders in our group got nearly 70 hours out of one.

Also there are lots of cheap tires out there that work really well. Sedona being one and another that I have seen more and more people running is the Shinko.

If you haven't ridden in a very long time we can assume that you aren't going to come out of the gate as an A or B level rider so any new tire is going to make you happy. As Rick said find out what your local guy sells and spend some money in his shop.

It's pretty obvious that I'm not a Dunlop guy.....but your right the AT81 is a solid tire.....plentya of guys that I race CC use it.
AMA D36
375X
OTHG
375S

Old 09-26-2015, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Dud View Post
Yep..... track guys do seem to toss tires pretty quick........be aware tgat 99.9% of track guys / MX bikes use a 19 inch rear tire.....your 200 has a 18 inch hoop! Just saying!
AMA D36
375X
OTHG
375S

Old 09-26-2015, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick View Post
Yep..... track guys do seem to toss tires pretty quick........be aware tgat 99.9% of track guys / MX bikes use a 19 inch rear tire.....your 200 has a 18 inch hoop! Just saying!
The tire that is on it now says 110/90-19, I think this was raced in a past life, with number plates and stuff that was given to me with the extra parts.
Old 09-26-2015, 08:51 PM

19" rear? Hmm