Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 09-26-2015, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphis2857 View Post
19" rear? Hmm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Is that bad? I see the Hmmm in your voice/text....haha

Old 09-26-2015, 09:01 PM

Not necessarily. The bike should have an 18" rear wheel. Someone has swapped it for a 19. It just changes your tire choices a bit

Old 09-27-2015, 12:29 AM

Or.....swaped the 200 to a MC 250 chassi.....hence the 50mm forks.....based on the photos the forks look like Zoke 50mm......beefy....unlike whimpy 45mm Zokes! Can't rember what year was the first year for the MC250......with conventional forks.....
AMA D36
375X
OTHG
375S

***Thanks for the support : Twin Air /O'Neil Racing / Race 100% / Matrix Concepts / ODI / Mika Metals
Old 09-27-2015, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick View Post
Or.....swaped the 200 to a MC 250 chassi.....hence the 50mm forks.....based on the photos the forks look like Zoke 50mm......beefy....unlike whimpy 45mm Zokes! Can't rember what year was the first year for the MC250......with conventional forks.....
My Vin# has EC2599812 in it. So I am assuming it is a 250 chassi made in Dec of 98.
Old 09-27-2015, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphis2857 View Post
Not necessarily. The bike should have an 18" rear wheel. Someone has swapped it for a 19. It just changes your tire choices a bit

Get the 18 for woods work.

Memphis?? Just wondering what your riding background is??
I've read a lot of your posts.Maybe it's a location thing?
Old 09-27-2015, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasgasxc View Post
Get the 18 for woods work.

Memphis?? Just wondering what your riding background is??

I've read a lot of your posts.Maybe it's a location thing?

Been riding off-road since I was 8. I really don't see any point in spending a couple 100 bucks on an 18" wheel for this particular bike and rider. There are other things he could spend money on that would have a better benefits than an 18" rear wheel. People have been riding motocross bikes for years and years in the woods with 19" rear wheels. Take a close look at Kailub Russell or Ryan Sipes or Chris Bachs bikes and you will see quite often they run a 19" wheel.

I'm really not sure of what you're getting at here? Do I need to post a resume to post my opinions and thoughts?

Old 09-27-2015, 10:01 PM

I run both depending on the terrain. The 19" does feel "more planted" like a low profile tire on a vehicle.

02 EC 200
03 MC 250
88 VT 800
01 TXT 280
Old 09-28-2015, 01:16 AM

No.No not at all.
And your clarification makes sense.Used 19"s everywhere.I get that.

I also believe tires are everything.It isn't a place I'm willing to compromise.I'll take a clapped out hunk of crap with new tires and put you and your beautiful gasser with customized number plates and matching riding gear with the pearly white boots through it if you are running 65-70% tread.And a 19 gives up even more in the traction options department.
That is you in the third person.Or just about anybody.

The reason I was asking is most of the West Coast riders that post in here I agree with mostly when they post.
Your an active poster and I disagree with most of your posts.Not that that matters.My opinions aren't any more valid then anyone else's.And yours I'm sure are based on experience of yourself and others you ride and race with.

I was just musing a little.
Must be location.Different riding terrain.That kind of thing.Different mentality.
Old 09-28-2015, 02:38 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Clay is not the same everywhere. Red, ash, grey or any other color for that matter. What works on the east coast is not always the same when talking south vs north much less for the stuff they have out west. Red clay in Arkansa is different then GA red clay. Then you get a mix mid state as you travel south and east gets you this nasty stuff called Kaolin clay.
I have found that the same tire combo does not always work well for all of these conditions. If you travel west 2 hours into Alabama the red clay looks the same but again it is not.
The only time I can think that clay is the same, is when it's wet.... The. It is just plain 'ol owl snot and nothing works well in that!

What is the point of this? Everyone has a preference of what they like based in many different factors. What works for me in GA and most of the south east (Michelin or Bridgestone up front/Michelin or PirelliXC on the rear of my 300. My 250 GG didn't like the PirelliXC rear at all) might work for you if you just happen to rid exactly the way I do and like your bike set up exactly the way I do.
Wether someone races or just trail rides really doesn't matter very much at all because there are so many variables to consider.

You will most likely have to do what we all have done. Take a few suggestions from the guys that your u ride with and try them out until you find the match for you.

Last edited by wrench; 09-28-2015 at 02:41 AM. Reason: Siri mistakes
Old 09-28-2015, 06:12 AM

Wow, never realized a simple tire question would turn into such a thing.

I'm new to dirt bikes and I'm also poor, so I am not able to just drop $75-100 just to see if a tire will or will not work.

Wrench and Rick bring up good points.

Thank you all for the post and opinions.

Has anyone used Kenda or Shinko tires?