Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 10-14-2015, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95jersey View Post
I looked at KTM as many do and have many friends with late model versions of all the popular bikes KTM and Husky (150, 250, 300, 350, 450) 2 and 4 stroke, I have rode them all.

2 bikes that stand out and shine are the 300 2 stroke and the 350 4 stroke. BUT and that is a big BUT, the suspension blows and needs over $1000 of work. So figure $9200 for the new bike, $1000 in suspension and you are over $10k. My 2014 Gas 300 suspension is amazing and some of the best stock suspension I have ever felt. KTM 300 motor though is a BEAST, which could be good or bad...

The 300 2 stroke hasn't changed much in recent years, so maybe try to find a used one. Its a 2 stroke so motor rebuilds are no big deal.

Just some food for thought. I am fortunate to have a group of 20-30 guys with different bikes that I ride with on a continuous basis.
My thoughts exactly. I have made my 300 engine feel very similar to the KTM with just exhaust, and a S3 head and jetting but it still signs off earlier than the KTM. I have rode the 15 350xcf and that thing is an absolute missile! But as stated above the suspension is so harsh. My opinion is just that an opinion but I will give it to you anyway. Take the bike you have that sounds like it's pretty clapped out and use it as a tool to get your riding up to par. Don't let it nickel and dime you to death because before you know it you will have 2 or 3k in it and you could have bought a lot nicer bike. For example there was a 2012 300 that sold on here recently for $2200!!! Throw that "spare" engine in a box and forget about it. Then get out and ride that bike and do some drills to improve your riding. Before you know it you will be ready for a bigger/better bike and when it comes time to sell your current one you will be glad you didn't spend a bunch of money on it because the value will never increase no matter how much time and money you sink into it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 10-14-2015, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphis2857 View Post
My thoughts exactly. I have made my 300 engine feel very similar to the KTM with just exhaust, and a S3 head and jetting but it still signs off earlier than the KTM. I have rode the 15 350xcf and that thing is an absolute missile! But as stated above the suspension is so harsh. My opinion is just that an opinion but I will give it to you anyway. Take the bike you have that sounds like it's pretty clapped out and use it as a tool to get your riding up to par. Don't let it nickel and dime you to death because before you know it you will have 2 or 3k in it and you could have bought a lot nicer bike. For example there was a 2012 300 that sold on here recently for $2200!!! Throw that "spare" engine in a box and forget about it. Then get out and ride that bike and do some drills to improve your riding. Before you know it you will be ready for a bigger/better bike and when it comes time to sell your current one you will be glad you didn't spend a bunch of money on it because the value will never increase no matter how much time and money you sink into it.

Good advise. Me and my wife was just talking about this the other night.

I'm going to ride this one till it won't go anymore. The motor is so far gone, in the sense I am not putting the money into it, that I am going to box it up or sell it as parts, not yet though.

When you say KTM is suspension is harsh. Would a larger rider feel different on it? I'm fat, so I would have to get a stiffer spring and re-valve anyways. Unless I lose 65 lbs over night, not likely....but I am working on that, which is one of the reason I wanted a bike. Quads don't give me a workout, bikes make me sweat and I feel like left the gym after riding.
Old 10-14-2015, 01:07 PM

No matter what you weigh the WP suspension on a KTM just doesn't work. Most of the pros are running Huck valves or some other kind of high tech internals in the WP suspension.

Old 10-14-2015, 01:14 PM

Quote:
No matter what you weigh the WP suspension on a KTM just doesn't work. Most of the pros are running Huck valves or some other kind of high tech internals in the WP suspension.

That was kind of my point, no matter what I get I'm going to have to have a suspension job done to make it right. So that cost is already part of it, new or used bikes included.
Old 10-14-2015, 02:15 PM

Yeah but you can get a lot better setup for less money with other brands. Look at the new yamahas for example. Their suspension is amazing right out of the box and can be adjusted to your weight for minimal cost. You will spend 3x as much on WP forks and still not have as good of a setup. I really wonder why KTM hasn't fixed the problem?

Old 10-14-2015, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Yeah but you can get a lot better setup for less money with other brands. Look at the new yamahas for example. Their suspension is amazing right out of the box and can be adjusted to your weight for minimal cost. You will spend 3x as much on WP forks and still not have as good of a setup. I really wonder why KTM hasn't fixed the problem?

I didn't know that, I have always liked YZ 250's. Rode a couple when younger and was happy!

Maybe GasGas will still be around and I will just get one of them or a Husky....lol
Old 10-14-2015, 09:11 PM

Wink

Quote:
Look at the new yamahas for example. Their suspension is amazing right out of the box and can be adjusted to your weight for minimal cost.

Yeah to the point that some people are test riding on Sunday and buying on Monday!
Old 10-14-2015, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper View Post
Yeah to the point that some people are test riding on Sunday and buying on Monday!

Lol. That got put on hold due to an unforeseen lack of funds. Looks like I will have to wait until the first of the year

Old 10-15-2015, 07:30 AM

Smile

Quote:
Lol. That got put on hold due to an unforeseen lack of funds. Looks like I will have to wait until the first of the year

Simple solution, use the large earnings from the national enduro win.
Old 10-15-2015, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper View Post
Simple solution, use the large earnings from the national enduro win.

I don't think my $25 all balls gift certificate will cover the shortfall!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk