Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 03-15-2010, 10:33 AM

Default Shift shaft problems- continued

HELP,
I have her stripped down, bent part of shift shaft cut off smooth with a Dremel.
The shaft will not budge, I have pounded the hell out of the cut off side and it won't move. Any suggestions, I sure don't want to take it to the shop all stuck like it is. Any help appreciated.
Trailrider Jim
2001 XC300

Old 03-15-2010, 01:08 PM

You will need a fairly stout drift, as close to the same size as the shaft as possible, about 8" long to be comfortable. Next ditch the claw hammer and look around for a 3 or 4lb sledge.
You should be able to have movement (maybe not a lot all at once) without feeling like you are shaping horse-shoes.
Hopefully you didn't already mushroom the end where you cut it off.
Avoid air hammers at all costs, they can do strange things to sensitive parts inside.

If you need a good punch (for this particular job anyhow) the cheapo tool houses sell a inexpensive punch set and you can get the hammer there also. Probably all for less than $20.

Good Luck.

'00 XC250 (mine)
LTS front and rear suspension, power valve cover, carb jet kit and rear chain glide, RB Designs head mod, BRP tall triple clamp, backyard foot-peg lowering conversion.
'04 EC250 (the kids)
(he can do his own mods haha!)
Old 03-15-2010, 01:20 PM

Default Shift shaft problem

I've been using the correct drift, like , with a hammer. No movement. The handle only goes about an inch past the footpeg.
Someone mentioned cutting some parts and punching it out the cut side?
How do you get the square piece off for reuse? Really need help, sledge hammer does not sound like the best at the moment,
Regards,
Jim
Old 03-15-2010, 07:06 PM
Super Moderator

If the shaft is bent pretty bad, it will bind up in the case when you try to pound it out. It is possible to crack the case also.

I would try cutting the shift dog off and removing it out the left side.
Old 03-15-2010, 07:11 PM
Super Moderator

Item 18 is all one piece as show.
Old 03-15-2010, 07:14 PM

did you cut off the whole exposed part of the shaft as close to the seal and case as possible?
And by sledge I really meant a healthy hammer (3 or 4 pound), not a small claw hammer used for nails.
At this point you have the right (clutch side) case and kickstart removed, right? If it still won't drive out knocking it from the left side, use your dremel or die-grinder to cut the shaft off on the clutch side and drive it out from that direction. Take care to cover, remove or whatever is necessary to keep the filings off of and out of the clutch basket, bearings, etc.
Sorry but I'm not sure what you mean by "square piece". When I had mine apart seems that the shift shaft pretty much slid out all on its own, any parts attached to it were easily removable. I may have needed to use some emery cloth sandpaper to clean off the splined side a little as the clearances are a little tight.
It's been awhile since I have had mine apart so maybe someone else can give a little advice also???

(edit... GasGasMan to the rescue while I was typing!!)

'00 XC250 (mine)
LTS front and rear suspension, power valve cover, carb jet kit and rear chain glide, RB Designs head mod, BRP tall triple clamp, backyard foot-peg lowering conversion.
'04 EC250 (the kids)
(he can do his own mods haha!)
Old 03-15-2010, 07:27 PM

Default Shift shaft problem

So far a little of both. Yes, all covers removed. Tried the sledge hammer method but I don't have a long enough rod to really beat the hell out it. This was probably a good thing. I gave up for the night but noticed about 1/2 inch movement which will help when I try the other method tommorrow.
This really sucks but what can you do?
Thanks,
Jim
Old 03-16-2010, 12:33 PM

First thing you do is stop beating the crap out of it, if its bent enough to jam, for it to be forced out means the cases must give. Big mistake.

Do as gasgasman and I suggested, cut everything off the primary side, smooth the edges, and push it through and out the left side.
Old 03-17-2010, 05:55 AM

Default bent shift shaft

Been waiting on you GMP, I haven't really beat the crap out of it too much.
Just frustrated, it must have bent inside on the left (hopefully). Will be cutting the other end off when I get a chance. My main worry is the same result only because I'm a worrier. Hopefully will report positive progress soon. Too many negative vibes, you know, Kelly's Heroes. Thanks for all the suggestions.
Regards,
Jim
Old 03-17-2010, 09:29 AM

Default bent shift shaft

Back in business, popped out the left side, a few parts and I'm back in business.
Thanks,
Jim