Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 12-19-2010, 10:03 AM

Default Has anyone tried to put forks from a honda on a Gas Gas

I have a set of forks and a shock from a 2006 Honda. The forks have Ohlins TTX installed and the shock is Ohlins TTX. The part number for the shock is the same but the length of the stroke is different. So who is the Ohlins guru around. Please dont tell me Coopersmith I had trouble with him.

Old 12-19-2010, 02:12 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemoto View Post
I have a set of forks and a shock from a 2006 Honda. The forks have Ohlins TTX installed and the shock is Ohlins TTX. The part number for the shock is the same but the length of the stroke is different. So who is the Ohlins guru around. Please dont tell me Coopersmith I had trouble with him.
Les Tinius at LT-Racing. He also has experience as a machinist and has a mill and lathe on-site to machine up the exact spacer that will be needed on the shock. He is very qualified :

http://www.lt-racing.com/html/about_ltr.html

If you shorten the stroke on the shock you have, will it yield the length you need?

What year gasgas do you have and what forks and shock do they have on them now?

Jeff

p.s. And for the heck of it - here is a current picture of the Honda that Les was riding expert class when I met him in 1974...

http://www.lt-racing.com/html/74_125_elsinore.html

I regret not being able to hang on to my bike from back then - it was a 1974 kx125...
Old 12-19-2010, 02:40 PM

I dont even have the bike yet but will most likely be a 2010 300. I need to sell my honda first, or I will rob a bank but i must get this bike soon. I had a brand new 1978 elsonore. wish I still had it. Heres the currrent honda on ebay

/Users/MOTO/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Originals/2010/Nov 5, 2010/IMG_0425.JPG
Old 12-19-2010, 02:43 PM

Try this

IMG_0425.jpg
Old 12-19-2010, 03:15 PM
Administrator

If it's a 2010 close-out model - there is a great price on them right now. These have the sachs fork and sachs shock. The sachs fork is what is used when they install ttx cartridges in the "nambotin replica" gasgas - ohlns part number fggg 1182.

I would probably sell the TTX cartridges you have and buy the ones that are made to fit in the sachs fork. Your CR TTX cartridges are very desire-able and you are coming into tax refund season where a little extra cash is floating around the economy - so you should be able to "move them".

I would budget for a revalve for off-road work as the ohlins TTX come valved for MX work.

The sachs shock that will come on the 2010 is of very good quality - like most euro suspension - the materials used are higher quality than their japanese counterparts. The shock has had a couple of small issues (piston ring tension and a check ball tolerance that are easily fixed - see www.lt-racing.com for details) - given that, the sachs is a very high quality shock with an alloy steel body and more reliable piston reservoir like the ohlins. The steel body yields less fade when hot and the oil stays cleaner longer providing longer service intervals. So, if you are on a budget you could sell the rear ttx shock as well and use the money towards upgrades on the new bike.

Another factor will be the future resale value of your new GasGas - in that regard - resale will be higher if you go with ttx cartridges in the sachs fork and hopefully getting the ttx rear shock to fit on the bike.

If you are tight on cash - you could go TTX cartridges on the front and use the sachs rear shock - it's a very, very good shock.

Jeff
Old 12-19-2010, 03:54 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Coming from LTR tuned Ohlins to an LTR tuned Sachs/Marzocchi combo, I can say that if you have it valved for you, it doesn't matter who's brand name is on it. I was worried that the Zoke/Sachs combo wouldn't work as well as my Ohlins. I needed not worry. The Sachs/Zoke is even better. It has everything to do with Les getting the valving right, not the brand. That's my $.02.
OMRA #21AA
What will I be riding next? Christini GG 300?
'15 KTM 300 XC-W
'08 EC 250 (Gone to new happy owner)
Gran Prix Cycle
LTR Suspension
RB-Designs
Old 12-19-2010, 05:56 PM

Thumbs up

A big +1, LTR Sachs/Zokes best thing I have ever ridden.
Old 12-19-2010, 10:24 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

To address the original question. I just learned that the Christini Gas Gas bikes are equipped with Showa forks. Reportedly to make it simple. They must be from a CRF since that's a bike they have tested. Of course, I now wonder if you could just do a WP front end from a KTM instead. KTM's have better brakes. Funny, 10 years ago that would have been reversed.
OMRA #21AA
What will I be riding next? Christini GG 300?
'15 KTM 300 XC-W
'08 EC 250 (Gone to new happy owner)
Gran Prix Cycle
LTR Suspension
RB-Designs
Old 12-19-2010, 10:41 PM

PM memeber 'Keg' iirc he did the showa front end swap onto his 09 because of the harsh stock 09 sachs set up.
There was a thread about it but I cant find it
Old 12-20-2010, 07:54 AM

Im a stair builder by trade so to say money is tight is an understatement. 3 years ago I would be buying a 2011 and wouldn't even think about the deals on the 10. I keep hearing the sacks shock is good so I think I will sell the ttx stuff and get ttx for the front and have the shock done. By the way the ohlins stuff I have is valved for off road.