Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke

Enduro Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke Jetting, Reeds, Air Filters, etc.

Old 04-24-2007, 08:42 AM

Default gas gas won't idle? read this!

I just picked up a de 200 and after 1st ride I was not happy with the way it ran! lets jst say the jetting was way off and it would not idle.
with the bike cold the choke was not effective. this tells me the pilot was to riich so I dropped from a stock 45 to a 35 and the bog at 1/4 throttle w/a slight load on the motor was gone and the choke actually acted like it should!(I ride at 1500' to 3000')
BUT it did not effect the idle, so out came the carb(boy was that fun)with the carb on the bench I put the slide back in and put a small flash light in one side and examined how much the idle screw raised the slide. lets just say that it did not affect the slide height untill the very last 1/2 turn and then it only raised the slide approx 1/2 of 1 mm. Now just to let you know it DOES take actual air passing through the carb to activate the idle circuit!
I believe the japanese guys at keihn are screwing with the spanish guys at gasgas by putting extra long springs behind the idle screw SO take out the spring and cut a couple of coils off and reinstall(yes this does raise the springs rate, you wll not be able to turn w/fingers)
TaDa it idles!!!!!!!!!! next week I will try a power-now, it made a huge diff. in my 99' ec 200 and yeah I know, you guys w/ 300's probly won't notice a difference but do you guys really need MORE low end?

Old 04-24-2007, 09:26 AM

Cool, i thought about doing this myself as mine is almost coil bound just to get the idle to raise a bit.
Old 04-24-2007, 11:30 AM

Default spring too long?

That's an interesting observation. Does anyone here have a hondamakawasuki with the pwk to compare spring length? If it's different we could get the shorter spring from the japanese bike dealer.
Nat
Old 04-24-2007, 01:36 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

I don't think this is a good way to go about "fixing" this carb. What you are doing is allowing the bike to pullover from the needle too soon. It will work for you on one day, but it makes the bike very sensitive to environmental changes. Because the slide is pulled up farther, the air screw will no longer have much effect - so you won't be able to fine tune the pilot circuit with the air screw.

I met Ron Black at RB-Designs face to face for the first time yesterday (I had him bore a carb for me)- he installs carb blades on the intake side (this is only one step that he takes to increase pilot circuit sensitivity - he does other things - some of them "super secret sauce"). He knows his stuff, his work is top notch (and his shop is immaculate).... You should talk to him before spending time or money elsewhere. www.rb-designs.com

jeff
Old 04-24-2007, 05:40 PM

Default no worrys!

I rode sunday, started at 9 am 1500' elevation and temp was 66 f. rode to 3600' temp was at 58 and then rode back to 1500' at 1 pm with a temp of
81. Bike did NOT deviate from perfect! I would rather learn by test and re-test than take the word of some self proclaimed smart guy only to find out said smart guy is a 8th grade drop-out that has been monkey mechanicing with not as much ..............oh yeah, by the way I measured the taper on the needle(w/micrometer), measured the height at which the taper began and measured the amount of slide lilft and surmised the full diameter of the neddle was still in the main jet after the spring was cut and the slide was raised approx .5 mm! just remember air passing through the carb is required for the idle circuit to siphon fuel and feed the engine, making the piston going up and down via small internal combustions! perhaps you have heard of the internal cumbustion engine?
Old 04-24-2007, 06:19 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Ricardo,
Apparently, you have taken offense. I am sorry. If you read my post, I am passing on what I understand on the topic and pointing you at someone who can help you become more knowledgable on the topic - I am not attacking you in any way - please don't counter-attack in a personal way because you don't like what I have to say...

jeff

p.s. I operate on this board under two different user names - the first is "jeffd" and the other is "webmaster". As "jeffd", I feel I can express my personal opinions and recommend certain vendors, etc. As "webmaster", I maintain and represent this website and bulletin board and maintain complete neutrality between all vendors & dealers, etc. As webmaster I would tell you that it is "okay to attack an idea and it is not okay to attack a person..."
Old 04-24-2007, 11:53 PM

Thumbs up Well said!

Thank You Ricardo!!!!!! It's a rare day that common sense prevails on this forum.

Again, well done Ricardo, keep doing what works for you!

Last edited by webmaster; 04-25-2007 at 01:25 AM. Reason: Deleted content that is in violation of user agreement.
Old 04-25-2007, 12:41 AM
Administrator

Big Tool,
Stating your opinion and having heated discussions are okay.... Crossing over the line into personal attacks is not permitted. Your post was edited to remove the content that is not in accordance with the gasgas riders club user's agreement.

Ricardo - I sent you a PM. And again, I am sorry for stepping on your toes.

jeff
Old 04-25-2007, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdn280 View Post
Cool, i thought about doing this myself as mine is almost coil bound just to get the idle to raise a bit.
Same here. Half to three quarters of a turn left before it binds. I'm glad that I'm not the only one. I'm not going to cut mine though as my idle is just right.
Old 04-26-2007, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardo cabeza View Post
I would rather learn by test and re-test than take the word of some self proclaimed smart guy only to find out said smart guy is a 8th grade drop-out that has been monkey mechanicing with not as much ..............
That's a bit harsh for someone you don't know!
I wonder what people think about you?