Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 11-11-2010, 08:43 AM

Default Adjusting Rear Shock

I am new to GG's, and I need to make adjustments to my sag. My previous bike, a KTM, had very easy access to the rear shock to make adjustments with a spanner wrench.

Accessing the adjusting nut with a spanner wrench seems nearly impossible without removing the seat and gas tank. And, I do not want to use the "hammer-chisel" method.

Also, can both the rebound and compression be adjusted on the Ohlins rear shock? If so, how?

Thanks,

Brian

Old 11-11-2010, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckinatree View Post
I am new to GG's, and I need to make adjustments to my sag. My previous bike, a KTM, had very easy access to the rear shock to make adjustments with a spanner wrench.

Accessing the adjusting nut with a spanner wrench seems nearly impossible without removing the seat and gas tank. And, I do not want to use the "hammer-chisel" method.

Also, can both the rebound and compression be adjusted on the Ohlins rear shock? If so, how?

Thanks,

Brian
Here is the way I do it- 'Hammer & chisel' the lock ring, then working from both side I grab the spring and turn it. The spring tension on the adjusting ring will turn it with the spring. At least that works on my bike.
2006 GasGas EC250-Sold to a good home
2006 GasGas TXT 280 Pro
Old 11-11-2010, 12:52 PM

Clean the shock body threads/rings and spray with some WD40 or 6N1. Hammer and punch the lock ring loose if neccessary. With the bike on a stand (weight off suspension) you can turn the spring and the ring with it as was mentioned for rough adjustments. For fine tuning or if it gets too stiff I use a pry bar or tire iron levered on the frame (tape to avoid scratching frame). If you keep the shock body/rings clean and free this is easy, I've even done it on the trail by getting some weight off the rear. If the bike is used and/or things are a mess it might be better to clean things up with a small wire brush first.

The comp adjuster is on the top of the resevoir, rebound on the top of the clevis, right side. If you have a Sachs the LS comp is the center screw, HS comp is large outer knob.
Old 11-11-2010, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMP View Post
Clean the shock body threads/rings and spray with some WD40 or 6N1. Hammer and punch the lock ring loose if neccessary. With the bike on a stand (weight off suspension) you can turn the spring and the ring with it as was mentioned for rough adjustments. For fine tuning or if it gets too stiff I use a pry bar or tire iron levered on the frame (tape to avoid scratching frame). If you keep the shock body/rings clean and free this is easy, I've even done it on the trail by getting some weight off the rear. If the bike is used and/or things are a mess it might be better to clean things up with a small wire brush first.

The comp adjuster is on the top of the resevoir, rebound on the top of the clevis, right side. If you have a Sachs the LS comp is the center screw, HS comp is large outer knob.
Thanks.
Do the Ohlins shocks have both high speed and low speed adjustments? How about the Marzocchi front forks - both hi and low as well?
Old 11-11-2010, 03:08 PM

If your bike is a pre '07 it should have an Ohlins shock with just LS comp. DO NOT turn the large nut, its the compression adjuster assy and you will loose pressure and oil. The Zoke forks are just LS comp on the bottom, rebound on the top.