Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 05-19-2020, 09:52 PM
Silver Level Site Supporter

My riding mates already make fun of 'GasGas',especially the day I ran out of Gas.Such a bad day.....
Reiju does sound budget in this part of the world as well.

Old 05-20-2020, 02:53 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakobi View Post
It'll be a niche brand regardless. Same as Gas Gas has been.

Competitive pricing will be more important than the name.

The support network needs to be strong. IMO that has been the number 1 complaint I have heard with GG. Even if parts haven't been an issue, people are concerned that they may be. The recent changes in ownership etc has really highlighted those concerns.

My GGs have all been called china bikes! So be it. I'll ride em. I'm not in it for the coolaid. I buy them because they have been affordable and bloody reliable!

IMO trying to over advertise or swinging for the fences would be the wrong approach. Get the bikes out there, share some of the companies history. Let it grow slow and try and have some solid foundations to allow this really great platform of a bike shine.
Exactly!
'11 EC250R
'98 KDX220
Old 05-20-2020, 12:56 PM

Seems you guys aren't even able to write the brand name correctly.
Old 05-20-2020, 05:28 PM
Site Sponsor

Default Rieju (Ree A Who)

Interesting thoughts here and i agree with most all of it, but the reality is it is a combo name of two family names. The Riera Family and Juanola Family=RIE JU

So far i have heard it pronounced many, many ways and the interpretation is Chinese, or Indian....anything but Spanish! I think i saw one post where someone said it sounded like a sneeze! lol.

The Spanish pronounce it like "Ree A Who" while the Brits just say "Ray who".

The best thing is....its a discussion isn't it? Makes people talk about it, makes people want to look it up, or know more about it. A conversation piece and we have plans to work with it as best we can but most of all have fun with it. Names like Kawasaki, Husqvarna, Husaberg, or others didn't exactly roll off the tongue at first sighting either.

All of us including myself would love to see "Bultaco" or "Ossa" but those brands are locked in bankruptcy while Rieju is going on 96 years in the business. Something that they are pretty proud of and rightfully so. We are excited to work on the HUGE task ahead of branding...with a small budget, but i am sure we will have all of your help!

In June, we have a few things up our sleeve to help get the name out a little better and quicker.

Ree A Whooooooo!!!!!

Last edited by Mark Berg - CPD; 05-20-2020 at 07:54 PM.
Old 05-21-2020, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Berg - CPD View Post
The Spanish pronounce it like "Ree A Who" ...
Now it sounds Native American!

I agree with all your points, Mark. I know you guys are working with a limited budget but you guys need a US race team. Just one pro racer to help get the brand some recognition in the number one off road series in America, GNCC. I hear Stew Baylor is available!
'11 EC250R
'98 KDX220
Old 05-21-2020, 03:24 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

So why didn't they come up with JuRie?
'22 765 Street Triple RS
'21 XTrainer
'69 Stinger T125 Suzuki
'23 TRS 250RR (it's a Trials thing)
Old 05-21-2020, 10:13 AM
Site Sponsor

Are there going to be any dealers in Canada?
'07 EC300 sold
'06 EC300 sold
'78 Suzuki RM250C2
'75 Yamaha YZ250B sold
Old 05-21-2020, 10:59 AM
Site Sponsor

Default Canada

Love our friends to the North! Dave Fair is one of the nicest guys i know but i will be the first to admit, we struggled taking care of Canada.

Your laws with regards to an "enduro" needing reflectors, and licensing were a pain in the So we need to look at that closer and maybe only offer XC versions and let the customer convert on their own. Not sure yet....

Retail unit price. I would secretly get orange, white, and blue bike dealer pricing sheets and shook my head at how it was possible (not so much blue). The Austrians subsidize the pricing for Canadian market for certain and for us to even be close didn't give the best margins for us or the dealer. For the most part, our dealers understood and were patient.

Parts shipping is costly too with the taxes. US Postal by far cheapest but 6 to 10 day delivery....while Fed Ex could get it there quicker, but most certainly way more expensive.

Long story short? Yes, for now (until a Rieju importer is found for Canada) we will offer to our northern dealers a program, just not defined yet.
Old 05-22-2020, 01:29 AM

[QUOTE=
All of us including myself would love to see "Bultaco" or "Ossa" but those brands are locked in bankruptcy while Rieju is going on 96 years in the business. [/QUOTE]

I can see how those names whould be problematic for a proud company that has a better history in Spain but just shortening the name to RJ (just for the US market) as you or someone else suggested is brillant. RJ would make a great new logo - one the would honor both families that started this great company.
Old 05-22-2020, 06:37 AM

I'm not a fan of the brand name..... but its better than KTM lol