Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > Injury & Recovery

Injury & Recovery Injuries, Health Issues, Vision & Body Repair

Old 02-03-2008, 03:31 AM

Angry back problems

hello all newbie from england , names david i own a wild hp 300 quad ,had a bad accident last year at end of febuary on a motorcross track , throttle stuck open going round a hairpin , slammed me into the banked out wall . anyway eventualy got up knew immediatly id broken collarbone but was more worried about hip , wierd tingling ,had taken same impact as collarbone .so went to accident n emergency had xray confirmed what i already new said not to worry about hip just bruised . so collerbone took about 3 months to heal but pain in hip continued ,then one day went to get up from chair n collasped onto floor, couldnt move my legs ( thigh muscles were locked tight ) so called doctor gave me pain relief and tamazipan to relax me . got a appointment with specilist had mri scan nothing wrong ? now having pt trying to retrain my support muscles to take pressure of my back .now my problem is 3 years ago my back went at work when lifting heavy timber , went to chiropractor had a xray and he told me i had a birth defect on my pelvis and one vertibre had treatment from him and back got better but when i had mri they couldnt find any defect still going through court now be carefull

Old 02-03-2008, 09:04 AM

I could see mine on a simple XRay, in the form of a fine gray line. This is cartilage like tissue between the sacrum sections that never turned to bone after birth. Its less than half the width of the sacrum and only in one section. I'm told its common, 25% of us have this without problems. Its actually a very minor form of Spina Bifida. The problem is that it can be moved or flexed in relation to the pelvis when highly stressed in certain dimmensions, and this puts pressure on nerves. I'm hoping that I just got unlucky and a series of events the week prior to a rough race added up to my problem. I normally ride very rough terrain and never had a problem. I see the chiro once a month now, and he checks/adjusts my pelvis alignment. Its retaining position better every visit. I have full strength with no symptoms and I've been riding and skiing since without issues but not as long or as rough as usual. We'll see what happens at Sandy Lane Enduro in March, with all the whoops, root balls and braking bumps.
Old 05-05-2008, 11:41 AM

Glenn: Being the vetran of two lower spine surgeries (L5-S1) it is highly recommended that you see a neurosurgeon for an MRI. X-Rays do not show blown discs. If you screw around with this, you are playing with fire. Get the MRI so that you KNOW what you are dealing with. You'r GasGas is waiting for you and playing guessing games with your spine is not the way to get you back on it. My latest microdisectomy was 12-13-06. Currently, I am riding my GG 200EC hard and long with very limited discomfort. Don't roll the dice with your lower back!
Old 05-05-2008, 12:12 PM

Fred,

Thanks for the concern and advice. Back feels great lately, best in years. Normal activities (hard), including riding/racing, skiing no problem. I know some guys don't beleive in chiro (I was one for awhile) but it REALLY helped. I know you can't see the disc but you can see the proximety of the vertebre. Funny thing, this is an old condition and was NOT what was causing my problems. First sign of trouble though I will push for an MRI. Now to fix my clavicle.
Old 05-12-2008, 08:05 PM

Glenn
Who's your chiropractor?

'03 EC400fse
'95 KX 250
Old 05-12-2008, 08:31 PM

Dr. Vindenni, on 23S between Paradise and Oak Ridge Road.
Old 05-13-2008, 07:27 AM

congrats on the rod selling!
Old 10-05-2009, 06:35 PM

a PT is going to do alot more for you then a chiro! dont get me wrong, a
chiro well help; especially if he/she understand what you do all day! im a carpenter so my body gets abused most of the time. also, dont carry your wallet in your back pocket during long drives or at the office, it knocks your hips/back out of alignment!
Old 10-05-2009, 08:53 PM

Old thread!

Fortunately I have not had any more back problems since then. I know all about the wallet, thanks!
Old 10-07-2009, 08:30 AM
Bronze Level Site Supporter

My back goes out from time to time . Will just bend down & try to stand up sometimes and fall down to my knees & wont be able to hardly walk for a week.

I've found ,and maybe everybody already knows this ,but sleeping with a pillow between your legs really helps line things up and gives my back a chance to heal .

I do it now as a preventitive type maintenance.