Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > Other Bikes... > Other GasGas Bikes/Quads

Other GasGas Bikes/Quads Trials, Pampera, Wild HP, etc.

Old 11-07-2011, 05:16 PM

Default swingarm bolt

I cant seem to get the swingarm bolt out.Got the nuts off,beat on the bolt with a extension and a hammer,no luck.Any ideas,maybe rusted to the bearings?You would think a hammer,liquid wrench and an hour of swinging the hammer at it would do the trick.This is a 300 quad btw.Thanks for any input.

Old 11-07-2011, 06:18 PM
Super Moderator

Swing arm bolts.. Muahaha! Evil things if they haven't been removed..

You need something you can use to get a good solid perch on the bolt that is around the same size and that will spread the load without mushrooming the end of it. Then you need to pick your hammer. If its not working lube up again and get a bigger hammer.

My last one was a WR450F and it was in there good and proper. Took about 4 days of lubing and hitting but it came good under the gentle persuision of a sledge hammer. You'll get there!
Old 11-07-2011, 06:35 PM

Loosening all the engine mounts can take a lot of the preloaded strain off the swingarm too. Although, make sure you don't hit it as hard as you can after loosening the mounts, iv heard stories of damaged stuff from projectile swingarm bolts. Just work up to bashing the crap out of it..
Old 11-07-2011, 07:53 PM

I always take the swing arm bolts, axles, etc... out of any new machine I buy and grease them NOW! That stops this situation. The last one I had trouble with was a Harley Road King. I mushroomed both ends of the swingarm bolt. I finally gave up and took a die grinder to the bolt ends to grind them down to size to put the nuts back on and give up. After grinding both ends, I found that the heat generated from the grinding had loosened the bolt enough to drive it out with light tapping!!! Sometimes even I have luck on my side.
Old 11-07-2011, 08:06 PM

Thanks for the replys.I have never seen a swingarm bolt with nuts on both sides,normally bolt head on one side nut on the otherI did soak it good with liquid wrench before I pulled afew more hairs out of my head and gave up for today.I will try a bigger hammer soon!Thanks.
Old 11-13-2011, 12:01 PM

Default swing arm bolt

I had to wedge a screw driver between the frame and motor and get in there with a 5" grinder and cut it out . Wasn't the best thing to do but it was stuck in the swing arm bush on the sprocket side.
Old 11-13-2011, 08:35 PM

I got it out,big hammer worked well.I did mushroom the bolt,have to get a new one.
Old 11-14-2011, 06:21 PM
Super Moderator

Yeah they can be horrible things. I managed to find another bolt that I slid down inside the swingarm bolt. I then smashed against the head of the inserted one which butted up against the swingarm bolt and distributed the load evenly.