Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > Other Bikes... > Other GasGas Bikes/Quads

Other GasGas Bikes/Quads Trials, Pampera, Wild HP, etc.

Old 12-17-2011, 07:58 AM

Default 2012 TXT Pro All Electric

http://www.gasgasmotos.es/en/trial/380-txt-e.html

"If you stop eating donuts you will live 3 years longer. It's just 3 more years that you want a donut."
―Comedian Lewis Black

"I think best when I have a wrench in my hands." Soichiro Honda

"Dreams are messages from the deep."
-Unknown Sardaukar

Old 12-18-2011, 09:38 AM

Why? Is there really a market for that in trials competition, or is some kind of govt. subsidized green vehicle project. Is it going to be a requirement for indoor competition in the future? Seems to me development money could be better spent elsewhere. And yes, I know all about the torque characteristics of electric motors and their potential advantages. At the end of the day though, you have to be able to sell them to make money.
Old 12-18-2011, 03:06 PM

There might or might not be a market for trials competition, but there is huge potential for them in built up areas where people don't like noisey bikes. It is the biggest problem we face as riders and land not being accessible to us.

A friend on a Zero electric bike once rode for an hour around a local BMX track and no-one seemed to care it was a motorbike.

I can't wait for electric bikes to have some good range to ride as you wont find many people who have ridden them, think they are not great!
Old 12-18-2011, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keg View Post
There might or might not be a market for trials competition, but there is huge potential for them in built up areas where people don't like noisey bikes. It is the biggest problem we face as riders and land not being accessible to us.

A friend on a Zero electric bike once rode for an hour around a local BMX track and no-one seemed to care it was a motorbike.

I can't wait for electric bikes to have some good range to ride as you wont find many people who have ridden them, think they are not great!

Yeah, I could practice in my yard and my neighbors would diggit. I could also ride the local mountain bike trails on the mountain and feel quite comfortable smiling in everyone's faces.
Old 12-18-2011, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Low View Post
I could also ride the local mountain bike trails on the mountain and feel quite comfortable smiling in everyone's faces.
the mtb'ers will still chase you off "their" trails .. its got a motor .. not human powered ... its bad!! signs in our area say no "motorized" vehicles. The pedal pushing crowd have a hard enough time with the newer electric assist bikes that are out there.

that said electric dirtbikes and trials bikes could find a good market in urban areas.
Old 12-18-2011, 08:28 PM

Yeah, electric or not, the true greenie hates all that think unlike him, there is no acceptance. I was really asking a question, is it a viable product? Look at the electric cars here that the govt pushed for, no one wants them. Plus, they cost $40K!
Old 12-19-2011, 09:16 AM
Super Moderator

Boy this thread has the potential of getting off track...But we'll see what happens.
First off
Quote:
Is there really a market for that in trials competition
What we see or want in N. America has very little to do with GasGas sales over in Europe. However we might want to perceive our beloved GG endures bikes 'Trials' has always been first on their list.
And yes I believe there will be a huge market for these E bikes. With the advancement on battery technology it's only a matter of time. And as far as electric automobiles are concerned...we will only see or hear what the car companies, oil companies and wealthy capitalists want us to see or hear.
07 TXT 280
77 TY175

Last edited by HuskyDude; 12-19-2011 at 12:50 PM.
Old 12-19-2011, 10:01 AM
Super Moderator

Electric motors achieve maximum torque at 0 rpm on up. For trials, that would be a good thing.
Old 12-19-2011, 02:58 PM

Yes they do, and you can do a lot with the controller. I designed brushless motor controls, medical centrifuge, and various stepper motor applications.

You could ride that thing in the house like Uncle Fester did in the Adams Family.

My question simply was, and still is, is the average trials rider in Europe ready to drop coin on this just yet or play it safe with the 2 stroke? Just curious about how this project was driven, by market or something else like pending regulations or subsidies. Perhaps one of our Euro friends will know. Thats it, no spin, not off track.

Well a little off track thought for you about electric cars:

Power grid capacity for the charging of batteries is no where near adequate for mass adoption of the technology.

Such power has to come from somewhere, a lot of it fossil fuels. So more emmisions, mining, or drilling for gas. And, since every energy conversion is done at a loss, the end result is less effeiient.

Now, hydrogen fuel cells are cool. I was in a fuel cell converted BMW prototype my company co-developed. Very nice, and a lot more practical from a fuel logistics point of view than millions of Chevy Volt owners pulling 50A each off the grid to charge their cars when they get home from work.
Old 12-19-2011, 03:55 PM

KTM just released their all electric bike called the free ride. IMHO I think that GASGAS is one step ahead of KTM by marketing a trials bike. Endurocross is rapidly growing in the United States which emphasizes a trials bike skillset. In Europe Danny McCaskill has generated a wave of interest in trials techniques.

http://www.cyclenews.com/articles/bi...tric-bike/full

See this link for McCaskill's awesome video,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z19zFlPah-o

"If you stop eating donuts you will live 3 years longer. It's just 3 more years that you want a donut."
―Comedian Lewis Black

"I think best when I have a wrench in my hands." Soichiro Honda

"Dreams are messages from the deep."
-Unknown Sardaukar