Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > Injury & Recovery

Injury & Recovery Injuries, Health Issues, Vision & Body Repair

Old 09-01-2006, 04:25 AM

Default What's your workout routine?

Racing in the Senior A class in hare scrambles has got me looking at improving my fitness. Jogging seems to help, but what routines do you guys follow? I'd especially would like to hear from those around 40 year old.

'13 Beta 300RR - race bike
'02 GG300XC - "Billie Baroo"
'01 DR650
'02 GG 280 Pro
'06 YZ 250
'07 WR450
'00 TT125RL
'94 YZ200 - custom keeper

Old 09-01-2006, 08:13 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

I am in very bad shape right now - forty-six years old, five foot nine inches and 210 pounds. I did drop 10 pounds recently though. Cholesterol was "through the roof" - need to have it checked again since diet and exercise changes.

There is an exercise room at work and I just started using it.

Professional rowing machine (concept II erg) every day - this is easy on the joints and is a great cardio workout.

Light weights every other day (build endurance and not bulk).

I find that a simple strain and injury can plague me for months. Hence the rowing machine and light weights. I avoid running - hard on the joints and body - particularly for those of us who haven't worked out in a decade or so...

jeff
Old 09-01-2006, 10:45 AM

I didn't realize it but I am on the David Knight workout. Just ride.
http://racerxcanada.com/news_update.php?id=2263
Old 09-01-2006, 02:08 PM

I try and work out 4-5 days a week, 3 minimum. I do it at lunch. Alternate days lower body/upper body. Complete Gravitron workout, military press, and wrist curl exercises that Rich Lafferty showed me for the hands and forearms. Lower body is just heavy leg press, two sets. Abs I do every day, two sets in the captains chair, and 30 reps with an ab roller. After this I run 2 to 3 miles on a treadmill (inclined). Basically I do all I can fit in in about 90 min. It helps. I'll be 48 in a week, I'm about 185lbs. 5'9". Not great, but not a porker either. I just find that the older I get I require a harder workout to maintain a status quo in performance, otherwise performance suffers.
Old 09-01-2006, 07:52 PM
Super Moderator

I'm 41 years old.
I row 4 times a week on a lake close to the house.
Probably 3,000 yards each time.
I also have a Concept 2 D indoor rower for the rainy and cold days.
Since I started rowing, my stamina and physical strength has quadrupled.
Old 09-01-2006, 08:30 PM

I should do that, since I live on a lake.
Old 09-01-2006, 08:46 PM
Super Moderator

I highly recommend it.
Since I grew up around water, I've always entertained the idea of getting a rowing shell.
Man was I in for a rude awaking.
The place I bought the shell from has free rowing lessons. Trying to balance the shell and row at the same time was tough, after about 2 weeks I got the hang of it.
Rowing is VERY relaxing and I look foward to doing it every time-unlike running.
Have you ever seen a happy runner?

I have the beginner shell which is really stable.

Now I'm ready for a faster shell.

Here's some rowing videos so you'll have an idea of what's going on.
http://www.littlerivermarine.com/rowing_lesson.php
Old 09-01-2006, 11:48 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

I got out of college in '83 and went to a friend's house on lake chelan (washington state) to hang out for a month before starting at Boeing as an engineer. Worked for his parents and made enough money for gas for the boat and beer...

The guy next door had rowed for the University of Washington when he was younger - for his 50th wedding anniversary his wife bought him a top of the line single Pocock racing shell. Very cool. Very long and very narrow - like riding a bicycle - backwards...

Most hopped on it and fell over into the water after a few yards. I got on and immediately 'got it' - but got dunked a few times. I would get out on the lake early in the morning when it was glass smooth. For about 10 years after that I dreamed of owning my own shell.

My wife rowed in college - we took some lessons together before we got married. I bought her the rower for valentines day about 10 years ago - it is a concept II model C. Like Girard, I also use it on rainy days - here that is about 300 days a year!!! ;-)

jeff
Old 09-02-2006, 01:25 AM

I get enough exercise pushing my luck on sundays Turning 40 this october has got me considering a more strenous exercise program then hefting barley pop weights at high repititions.It will be nice to be that "young guy" in the class again.I enjoy mountain biking on singletrack "biking" trails,it seems to help my legs and I enjoy the burn my lungs suffer.
Old 09-02-2006, 05:34 AM

Rowing isn't really an option. I like GMP's 90 minute program of weights and running. I have heard people say to run first and then hit the weights as then your body is warmed up and lifting is easier and there is less danger of injury.
Right now I am starting slow, because I know in the past I have started too strong and burned out. I started jogging last week Mon. Wed. Fri. - I'm up to 2 miles already and feeling pretty good. I stopped jogging about 3 years ago when my left knee started hurting, but now it is fine. I run on the edge of the gravel roads, which is sort of like a cinder track in terms of the cushion effect. I'll start adding some upper body weights in next week, and some ab exercises. Hardest part will be keeping from going nutso with additional exercises and burning out.
One thing new this year for me is a lot more riding. Like every Thursday. About 4 of us in the club started a ritual in May to come out to my MX track and ride every Thursday night. We have found the group committment has worked to keep absences down, and having someone to pick mock battles on the track with has really motivated all of us to ride harder and longer. If you can arrange a similar weekly ritual at a local trail system, mx track or ORV park, I strongly suggest it. I picked up a new leftover Suzuki RM just for that purpose and already have over 21 hours on it, and the bike hasn't left the property! Don't let people tell knock MX, as it really has made me a better rider all around, including the woods. When you are riding an MX track at speed, the line you want to hit is 18" wide or less.

'13 Beta 300RR - race bike
'02 GG300XC - "Billie Baroo"
'01 DR650
'02 GG 280 Pro
'06 YZ 250
'07 WR450
'00 TT125RL
'94 YZ200 - custom keeper