Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 11-01-2012, 12:04 AM

Default New from RSA

Hi all
I'm new to this forum and GasGas.From Kzn South Africa.
I'm pretty much done racing, but my son is competitive. He raced Nationals the last couple of years for KTM SA and won a championship or two. Now downscaled to mainly local regional events. Was offered some support from a new local GG dealer, which is a new exciting and interesting venture!
So..on a new 2013 ec300 electric start for now, waiting for Jan for 2013 300racing to arrive. Thanks to Jakobi and other members? posts , have honed jetting pretty close to the sweet spot.
This weekend have entered in the final Harescramble of the year on the ec300, am a little anxious as do not need a dnf, need to finish near the front to clinch open class championship.
Race is at 800-1000m and expecting temps to be 20-25C With regards to jetting, have 42p as1 1/4 n3cj#3 178main(stock n1ef is a joke), with clip at #4 felt a bit fluffy but at #3 nice and clean. The track starts flat and fast, I mean from flag will go down grass airplane runway strip for around 800m WFO! Perhaps should go 180 main, temps have been around 16-20c lately so on sat should be still safer with warmer temps. The track meanders up and down a forest valley in and out the trees and forest roads and then onto a 10-15k section of single track which is ...... 2nd gear wot, break hard turn, wot, break hard, wot under fallen trees over logs etc, awesome, lap is around 30km, race for 3hrs + 1 lap

Was wondering if viable to remove electric starter and blanking off cover, and remove battery, can it run without battery without causing damage?
Is it possible to remove the rear fender tail light and under fender cover, a lot of dirt seems to collect inside fender, between top fender and black under liner, or won't the airbox be sealed from rear tyre fling?

The Metzeler six days front tyre is magic, and will be running a Bridgestone 204 rear (same as old 202).

Sorry about long intro.
Cheers, will give race report

Last edited by BEEBOB; 11-01-2012 at 12:09 AM. Reason: punctuation

Old 11-01-2012, 12:42 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum! Good intro and glad to hear you have the bike setup and running well. Sorry I'm not going to be much help regarding the estart/electrics side of things, but I have no doubt someone with the knowldge will chime in shortly!

Good luck for the race, and look forward reading the report!

Cheers
Jake
Old 11-01-2012, 02:35 AM

Location: From Swaziland, Now Hamilton New Zealand the “look but don’t touch” enduro heaven

Welcome Since there is a kit to upgrade to e start I don't see why you can't downgrade and remove it

Yes you can remove all the stuff under the fender, but there will be a small hole for the wiring that you will need to close it is positioned perfectly to catch whateve comes off your tire

Give me a shout when u want to ride your GG in SD
Old 11-01-2012, 06:20 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

G'day,

For kick starting it doesn't need the battery, and doesn't need the key if you pull the wiring plug that connects to the key barrel on the 2011 ( very secure indeed) I'm sure you can pull the starter as well. The newness of the 13 may make you the test pilot on that model. Hope that helps. Welcome.

Current. 2015 ec300r estart, 98 RM 125

2013 Ec300r 2011 Ec300e 2009 Husky TE310
1982 XR500 Honda 1981 KE100 Kawasaki
1978 GT80 Yamaha
Old 11-01-2012, 08:40 AM

i have the e start taken off my 13 you will need a new pv cover, flywheel cover and a new nut that holds the flywheel on because when you remove the starter gear it no longer works. i also took the key switch off and now i have no breaklights . as for the rear light the only option is to just remove the light itself and leave all the plastic. i have searched for some type of eliminator kit but no luck. hope this helps
Old 11-06-2012, 01:14 PM

Thumbs up

Race report as promised.
Pretty good start for son Scott from front row, until whilst trying to make a pass off the line, found a fallen log beneath the pine needles which took the front wheel and he face planted. Got going again bars skew and forks twisted, not too bad so pressed on, getting back up to speed and made some passes until a few metres of barbed wire got caught up in back wheel which put the anchors on, the wire had shredded and ripped off the rear wheel mud flap tongue, he lost a bit of interest as bikes tore past, but got going again.

The 32km lap took the leader 53 min, he came into pits around 13th, a few more riders passed whilst I cut out the remaining wire and slowed the rear sachs shock compression damping a few clicks, after complaining of bottoming out on fifth gear pinned g-out hits. The suspension is a bit soft for racing, but will try and get it sorted better.

2nd lap was better and returned in 6th place, 3rd lap he was up to 4th place and took under 52 min for the lap.
I calculated that to win the overall championship for the year he needed 5th place or better, after the leading championship contender coming into this final round, had broken down with blown clutch. I told him to keep it tidy and he would be a champ. He finished the final and 4th lap in 4th place overall and 1st in open class, also sewing up the open class for the season Well done Scotty. Not bad for the first time racing the GG. The rest of the year he was on a ktm 450xc-w, so the 2t will take some getting used to.

The jetting was pretty close, but we think needle was slightly on the lean side, and possibly need to try a needle 1/2 clip richer.
If I knew how, I'd post some pics
Cheers
Old 11-06-2012, 01:25 PM

A side note: the ktm seats are pretty hard and uncomfortable, but he says his butt is raw after the race.
That's one way to get him to stand more