Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Suspension

Enduro Suspension Tuning & maintenance of Enduro forks, shocks, etc

Old 10-28-2013, 05:32 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Default Trouble rear on 300

Guys I will say sorry up front in case this is already on the forum somewhere. I looked through what I could but didn't see it.
Just started riding this year. Have a background in street bikes but I am new to dirt. However I have put a lot of time in the woods this year and advanced a lot. I was riding a YZ for the first part of the year and just wanted something with a little more power. Got this 08 300 and noticed it felt uncomfortable to ride. I am still to new to know if something is messed up so I didn't notice it was f'd up. Today went out for what might be the only good day left this year in my part of the country and my friend said my rebound must be off on the rear. I did some hill climbing and trail riding and was pushing it hard(for me) and at one point had to get off the bike to stretch and lay down to stretch out my back. He noticed I was unusually fatigued for the amount of time we spent riding. We went to adjust the rebound because it was returning to full extension to where it sounded as if it was topping out hard and we noticed that the screw on the side that should be the rebound only had 3 clicks before it would either be loose or bottom out.
It also is leaking fluid on the rear. Maybe you guys can educate me. I am trying to learn about this bike and bikes in general.
Thanks in advance.

Hollis

Old 10-28-2013, 06:54 PM
Super Moderator

Hi,

Which year bike with what brand of shock?

It sounds like the seal is gone. If you've lost a lot of oil you'll have very little damping. The lack of feel on the rebound clicker also indicates this. Its the oil (and nitrogen) which keeps pressure on the adjuster.

Swing the subframe up to gain access to the shock. Service the linkages while you have it out and then have a tuner of your choice give the shock a going over. New seals, oil, and regassed. Personally its probably a good opportunity to have it revalved and resprung for yourself.
Old 10-28-2013, 08:06 PM

Default Shock

That is what I was thinking. I could have it set up for my weight.
Do you have any recommended shops to do the work? I found a place online called LT Racing and the guy seems like a straight shooter. He was telling me that gas gas had them shave down the tubes to fit the trees on the front so they are thin and that the ohlins is not one of the better ones made. Can you confirm this? again I am just trying to learn.
it is an 08 300
Old 10-28-2013, 08:30 PM

Yes les knows what he is talking about and is a very good person to listen too. If you want a great suspension(I've ridden a few of his suspensions) done right then send it to him bro!
Old 10-29-2013, 08:01 AM

Default Thanks

Thanks for the input. I will get it sent out right away. Also any input on what should be done about the front end would be great. From the way it sounds those tubes are very thin and will wear out sooner than most. What do most of the guys on here do about that?
I love the way the bike runs. I have no plans to let it go so I would like to find a way to fix that problem.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:19 AM

Are they Sachs forks?
Old 10-29-2013, 09:50 AM

Default forks

the forks have marzocchi stickers on them.
Old 10-29-2013, 03:30 PM
Super Moderator

Probably 45mm zokes on an 08.

I'd go with LTR. Put the whole lot in a box and send it to him. I'm in Australia so don't know too much, but I do know that any time I have asked Les anything via email, I've got nothing but helpful advice in return. Dave at STM is another who's been great to deal with, as well as Steve (two wheels) from afterhourscycles. It just depends whats closer/easier to you.
Old 10-29-2013, 03:52 PM

Agreed, the 45 zokes and 48 Sachs were not good forks out of the box, the Sachs I rode after les revalved them(with the machining of the internals as well) were very good forks. Night and day difference with the 45's as well however I thought the 48 Sachs still out performed the zokes, still both were 10 times better than stock.