Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Suspension

Enduro Suspension Tuning & maintenance of Enduro forks, shocks, etc

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-30-2014, 04:09 PM

Default Shiver 45 Inspection

Hi, just stripped down the RH fork on my 07 EC300, first time ive ever done it so just want to make sure all looks normal and get your thoughts on the shims stacks. I know these are old forks now, but maybe some of you are still using them or have worked with them before. All advice greatly appreciated

Firstly the rebound piston ring. Does this look like normal wear? I think it looks ok, if im right in thinking its a teflon coating.

DSCF6032.jpg

The drained oil was grey and definitey had a silver tinge running through it. I was wondering if the silver colour has come from the cartidge rod wearing as it passes the seal in the top of the cartridge, as the portion of the rod thats in the cartridge is shiny and the section above the cartidge is dull. See picture. Is this normal?

DSCF6040.jpg

Shim stacks attached fyi. Ive been reading through old posts on these forks, and it seems my stacks are similar to what others have found i.e. lots of free bleed on compression (comp piston also has the 2mm bleed hole), a strange multi-stage low-mid compression arrangement, and more free bleed on the mid-valve. Others have also noted a of lack of rebound damping, and i think thats what i have too with that rebound stack...?

DSCF6028.jpg

Its been interesting learning how forks work and am looking forward to see if i can improve on it. Ive not had too many complaints with them so far, but then I havnt really been specifcally assessing them while riding. Just been enjoying riding it ha. I have found the clickers dont do much and that they dont inspire confidence when going relatively fast over sharp edged, uneven, rutted, surfaces, like theyre deflecting maybe and cant keep up with the surface.

Thanks,
Ad