Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 04-07-2014, 11:17 AM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
I dunno, I have no interested in it. I'll probably get drug over the coals for this next comment, would be really excited if KTM brought over the 350 and 250 Freeride....looks to be about a perfect bike for my girlfriend. She had a KX100, which she did "ok" on but that is a pipey little thing.

The Freeride looks to be a perfect little trail bike.
It's been interesting to read all the comments and opinions in this thread - reflects a well diversified market.

Mick - I was keenly interested in the Freeride 2T after reading about it; started a thread on KTMTalk in the dealer section asking why it wasn't being imported into the US. I too think it would be a great starter bike, though the lack of a kick-start is a significant drawback. The concept is outstanding, the execution not so much.

Sweeper - I wholeheartedly disagree with your take on this type of bike. If anything, getting something easy to ride for new riders will keep our riding areas open. More people involved in the typically means more members for clubs, etc. I would put my boys on something like this over a race bike or anything else that would be tough to handle during their first outings on the trail.

In my opinion, at least GG is taking a stab at getting something on the market for entry level riders. I think one of the best comments on here was comparing it to the CRF230 and I agree - this looks like way more fun than that bike. That's not to say they nailed it, but it's an attempt and who knows what will take it's place down the road

Old 04-07-2014, 12:09 PM

WARNING FOUL LANGUAGE !!! thinking of buying* a k?: http://youtu.be/KStI48Kn1LE

Freeride. Great bike! Check out this video showing how good they are.
Old 04-07-2014, 12:32 PM

Lol nice video!
Ortonville Minnesota
Old 04-07-2014, 01:44 PM

wow.....
Old 04-08-2014, 01:33 AM
Banned

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by liv2day View Post

Sweeper - I wholeheartedly disagree with your take on this type of bike. If anything, getting something easy to ride for new riders will keep our riding areas open. More people involved in the typically means more members for clubs, etc.
If you were riding and racing motorcycles offroad 20 years ago Ill give you wholeheartedly disagree.If you weren't heavy in the game back then I can only give you disagree.

Since the middle to later 90s offroad riding and racing has been in a steady downward spiral.Many factors.But Ill make it short and to the point.The last thing we need in this sport is more fluff.This game was never fluffy its weak enough now without the major manufacturers building and marketing a crap bike niche.

Some of the vet members get what I'm saying.
Better perspective of where the sport is heading if you were part of how it was.
Wasn't a sport or a hobby it was a lifestyle.
Most of us weren't quite right in the head if we weren't on the bikes.
Old 04-08-2014, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweeper View Post

Since the middle to later 90s offroad riding and racing has been in a steady downward spiral.Many factors.But Ill make it short and to the point.The last thing we need in this sport is more fluff.This game was never fluffy its weak enough now without the major manufacturers building and marketing a crap bike niche.
So what do you propose?
That everyone who wants to ride buys a fully fledged race bike, which is what current Enduro bikes are, that costs ~$6000-7000usd, closer to $13000 over here.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
Old 04-08-2014, 02:21 AM
Banned

Their are other companies who build these type of motorcycles.

Would like to see the manufacturers like KTM who build higher quality,higher performance offroad machines continue to do so.

If you want a putt putt for your wife or your "boys" their are manufactutes who already produce some decent ones.

But if your boys decide they want to race or heaven forbid crank it up a notch,then Id like to see these higher quality designed ,engineered manufactured and marketed for offroad racing mototcycles still available.

I'm not neccesarily a big KTM fan but how many XR DR KLX type of bikes do you think they had to offer in 1998?

Will not buy a Gas Gas with a Chinese engine.
That crazy wacked out over top freerider hit on the head when he said
don't buy one.
Old 04-08-2014, 07:41 AM

This is exactly the attitude I can't stand and now only go to Club events or low key Harescrambles.

You are the type of people ruining the sport for me. I raced when young and now I enjoy riding and the enjoyment of riding with friends and family.

Are you the type of person to tell your kid to put another into the tree because they have to learn that at some point even though you are riding at a club event? Are you the type of person that continues to trespass when you know the owners have issue with it because we have always ridden there?

I could go on and on but there is a small segment of our sport that is going to ruin it for the rest of us eventually. Most likely those types of people will just move on to something else or sit around the bar and piss and moan. The rest of us who have motorcycling in our families all our lives and their parents lives just get to watch their passion slowly get taken from them.

And btw I can give two craps about the 90s and how it was done. Back in the early 70s we raced albeit with less cheating and mean spirited riding. And we trail rode more than we raced and those trail rides are still some of the best memories I have.

So I should give up trail riding with my family because in the 90s you raced and that is how it should be? ? Just got done with a trail ride with my son that he had an awesome time and we rode with one person from this board (in his 60s) and there was another there that was in his 70s with a new (that day) ktm300.

I challenge you to rethink your position. This sport was not created by Monster Energy. Go watch On any Sunday again, if you have not seen it go get the video. True off road riders are different in general and we in this little community are different and that is what makes our sport continue to be like no other.
Old 04-08-2014, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweeper View Post
But if your boys decide they want to race or heaven forbid crank it up a notch,then Id like to see these higher quality designed ,engineered manufactured and marketed for offroad racing mototcycles still available.

I'm not neccesarily a big KTM fan but how many XR DR KLX type of bikes do you think they had to offer in 1998?
KTM were similar to gasgas, they just made race bikes because they were too small to do anything else. Now they're not, and can make bikes which aren't as racey, like the freeride range. GasGas is using their trials background to make their attempt at a hybrid trail/trial bike, so what?
Old 04-08-2014, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgiven View Post
This is exactly the attitude I can't stand and now only go to Club events or low key Harescrambles.

You are the type of people ruining the sport for me. I raced when young and now I enjoy riding and the enjoyment of riding with friends and family.

Are you the type of person to tell your kid to put another into the tree because they have to learn that at some point even though you are riding at a club event? Are you the type of person that continues to trespass when you know the owners have issue with it because we have always ridden there?

I could go on and on but there is a small segment of our sport that is going to ruin it for the rest of us eventually. Most likely those types of people will just move on to something else or sit around the bar and piss and moan. The rest of us who have motorcycling in our families all our lives and their parents lives just get to watch their passion slowly get taken from them.

And btw I can give two craps about the 90s and how it was done. Back in the early 70s we raced albeit with less cheating and mean spirited riding. And we trail rode more than we raced and those trail rides are still some of the best memories I have.

So I should give up trail riding with my family because in the 90s you raced and that is how it should be? ? Just got done with a trail ride with my son that he had an awesome time and we rode with one person from this board (in his 60s) and there was another there that was in his 70s with a new (that day) ktm300.

I challenge you to rethink your position. This sport was not created by Monster Energy. Go watch On any Sunday again, if you have not seen it go get the video. True off road riders are different in general and we in this little community are different and that is what makes our sport continue to be like no other.
This^^^

I have been riding since the 70's, if you don't get everyone involved...the whole sport will disappear.