Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > Classified Advertisements > "Wanted to Buy" & "Want To Trade"

"Wanted to Buy" & "Want To Trade" Bikes or Parts

Old 08-01-2013, 10:33 AM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Default 18" trials tires ??

anyone got any decent used 18" trials tires ? we are going to a place in colorado that recommends them. have never rode with one, just looking for a cheaper way to try one..

could actually use 2, got another bud who is going also that does not have one either..

amarillo tx 79108..

thanks in advance..

jay

Old 08-01-2013, 11:22 AM

You might as well just buy a new one because once you try it you'll want to keep it on there anyway.
Old 08-01-2013, 12:46 PM

Location: From Swaziland, Now Hamilton New Zealand the “look but don’t touch” enduro heaven

Have you tried tubliss?
Check this vid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTGjk...%3DYTGjkAyWXHs
Old 08-01-2013, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian VT View Post
You might as well just buy a new one because once you try it you'll want to keep it on there anyway.
my only concern is we ride alot of sand... my bud told me where we are going is big on tread lightly.. he has heard of guys parked bikes getting the rear knobbie cut..
Old 08-01-2013, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swazi_matt View Post
Have you tried tubliss?
Check this vid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTGjk...%3DYTGjkAyWXHs
yes i have.. for some reason, i could not make them work.. probably me, but i was always putting air in them..
Old 08-01-2013, 01:42 PM

Default trials tire

I had sworn of knobbies when I rode with my first trials tire here in the mountains of CO. I have worn out two trials tires here in CO and Moab, and have this to say...traction with trials tire at 8 PSI is phenomenal on solid rock, roots, hardpack, and stationary rocks. Blows knobbies away. But trials tires struggle for traction when descending gravel hills as well as sand and mud. Don't get me wrong, still gets you through, but doesn't do the job of a knobby in the loose gravel, mud and sand. Now Tubliss is recommending this Desert AT run FLAT with the Tubliss system because the sidewalls on the AT are very rigid, especially when aired up. The sidewalls are much softer without air but still retain side to side strength (ie, don't "wallow" side to side like some of the trials tires feel like). So you get the best of both worlds, ie traction of knobby where you need it and the conformity of a trials tire over roots and rocks where you need it. 2 days ago I climbed a hill with this combo (tubliss/desert AT) that I have never been able to climb with a knobby or a trials tire. I'm sold.
If you stick with a trials though, I have had very good luck with the Shinko Trail Pro 110/90R-18 at 8-10psi. Only 72.00 at RMATVMC. Very sticky, and maintains it's pliability over time (ie, doesn't get hard quickly). Also not quite as tall as your average trials tire
Old 08-01-2013, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumperflipper View Post
I had sworn of knobbies when I rode with my first trials tire here in the mountains of CO. I have worn out two trials tires here in CO and Moab, and have this to say...traction with trials tire at 8 PSI is phenomenal on solid rock, roots, hardpack, and stationary rocks. Blows knobbies away. But trials tires struggle for traction when descending gravel hills as well as sand and mud. Don't get me wrong, still gets you through, but doesn't do the job of a knobby in the loose gravel, mud and sand. Now Tubliss is recommending this Desert AT run FLAT with the Tubliss system because the sidewalls on the AT are very rigid, especially when aired up. The sidewalls are much softer without air but still retain side to side strength (ie, don't "wallow" side to side like some of the trials tires feel like). So you get the best of both worlds, ie traction of knobby where you need it and the conformity of a trials tire over roots and rocks where you need it. 2 days ago I climbed a hill with this combo (tubliss/desert AT) that I have never been able to climb with a knobby or a trials tire. I'm sold.
If you stick with a trials though, I have had very good luck with the Shinko Trail Pro 110/90R-18 at 8-10psi. Only 72.00 at RMATVMC. Very sticky, and maintains it's pliability over time (ie, doesn't get hard quickly). Also not quite as tall as your average trials tire
great info.. what part of co are you in ? we are talking about salida.
Old 08-01-2013, 02:38 PM

My town, Alamosa is about 1.5 hrs south of Salida. Great riding around Salida. We don't make it up there very often but just south of Salida is the Rainbow trail which is famous singletrack (and very long, like 100 miles or so). My fav section of that is just south of Poncha Springs on 285 you cross the rainbow trail. There is a small parking area on the highway where the rainbow crosses. WEST it climbs up some switchbacks and then some rocky stuff and then superfun smooth carving singletrack. We ride it up to where Silver Creek (MTB only) trail dumps into the rainbow and then reverse it or ride out along silver creek road back to the highway. We always stop and clear the trail to let the MTN bikers ride by just to be courteous. Yep, Rainbow trail...don't let the name fool you. Especially if you ride the EAST side of the highway to the east and south along the Sangres. *($^&?!(^*(%&. That's all I have to say about that side. Your trials tire will serve you very well here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcbXjnAwyrE

Texas Creek is east of Salida and has some sand but a lot of good two track.

Also lots of fourwheeldrive (ie, hardcore, not roads) trails just to the north that can be quite challenging on a bike. Beautiful country full of great views.

You can ride (or trailer) up to Marshall pass and ride the Continental Divide Trail to the North and South (singletrack) very fun and fantastic views. Wow.
Old 08-01-2013, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumperflipper View Post
My town, Alamosa is about 1.5 hrs south of Salida. Great riding around Salida. We don't make it up there very often but just south of Salida is the Rainbow trail which is famous singletrack (and very long, like 100 miles or so). My fav section of that is just south of Poncha Springs on 285 you cross the rainbow trail. There is a small parking area on the highway where the rainbow crosses. WEST it climbs up some switchbacks and then some rocky stuff and then superfun smooth carving singletrack. We ride it up to where Silver Creek (MTB only) trail dumps into the rainbow and then reverse it or ride out along silver creek road back to the highway. We always stop and clear the trail to let the MTN bikers ride by just to be courteous. Yep, Rainbow trail...don't let the name fool you. Especially if you ride the EAST side of the highway to the east and south along the Sangres. *($^&?!(^*(%&. That's all I have to say about that side. Your trials tire will serve you very well here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcbXjnAwyrE

Texas Creek is east of Salida and has some sand but a lot of good two track.

Also lots of fourwheeldrive (ie, hardcore, not roads) trails just to the north that can be quite challenging on a bike. Beautiful country full of great views.

You can ride (or trailer) up to Marshall pass and ride the Continental Divide Trail to the North and South (singletrack) very fun and fantastic views. Wow.
that looks awesome.. thanks again
Old 08-12-2013, 01:59 AM
Site Sponsor

Default trials tires

All I can say is they rule in the dry silty rocky stuff .I run them all summer in the dez and the mountains . When do you need them by . I will have to gou out to my shed & take a look .