Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 03-13-2009, 03:39 PM

Default Oops !!! I didnt mark the grease ring on the clutch basket

I am replacing my kickstarter gears and removed the clutch basket (amoung other parts) in order to get a look at exactly what parts I needed to buy.

When I removed the clutch hub, I did not mark its alignment position on the primary shaft. I have the PDF I asked for in another, recent, post.

On page 03-06 there is a note that sais:
"The clutch hub has an assembly position with respect to the primary shaft. Mark the position using a perminant marker on the grease ring"

This is the note that got overlooked.

How can I recover from this ??
There must be another way to get this alignment. I think maybe I could do something like put the engine at TDC using the ignition timing marks and then find out where the clutch hub linie up. Like maybe (for example) with the engine at TDC the basket goes in with (I am hoping) some mark at (for instance) the top or 90 degree left side. (like degreeing an engine CAM)
Why does the clutch hub have only one position? Is it counterbalanced? What would happen if it was installed out of correct rotation or alignment?

Also, I know that the ORDER that the clutch plates are installed is important, but what about the rotation with respect to eachother and the basket? I did not change the order, but I suspect that the last few to come out may have been rotated a notch or two. This is the first time I have EVER disassembled a clutch, so I ask for your compassion and understanding.

I do have another gasser to compare with, but its a 2004 MC 250. The machine I am working on now is a 2005 EC 250 (upgradesd to a 300),

PLEASE HELP !!!

Old 03-13-2009, 08:21 PM
Banned

Its ok The world wont end. Ive not done it, indexed that is the bskt to the shaft on the last two bottom end rebuilds with no noticable neg effects.What happens if you want to replace the bskt with a new one like a rekluse, you get the point?
Old 03-14-2009, 02:34 AM

I did a similare thing on my EC250 rebuild although i did mark the clutch basket and primary shaft.

My problem was i washed the marks off when cleaning in the parts bath!! lol

So i just put it back together no problems.