Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > Riding Techniques & Training

Riding Techniques & Training Increase Riding Skill, Physical and Mental Training, Weight Loss.

Old 12-10-2008, 06:07 AM

Default Lugging the bike and stalling - jetting, technique, wrong bike?

Say i'm riding some tight woods trails I'll shift up so the bike is always lugging. I'll pull a high gear (300EC) say maybe 3rd at 15mph (only rough guesses here) but the bike is near the bottom of the rev range. I do this as I love how the bike sounds, it's smoother and finds better grip and maybe a co-incidence but I never need to refuel in 3hr races. I select the gear I need for power and nothing more so don't rev the bike unless I need to or occasionally between corners so i don't have to change up then down.

The problem is I seem to stall quite a bit which costs me time. This happens when i'm using the clutch in that (high) gear to negotiate a short slightly slower section or obsticle.

The jetting seems good to me it's leaner than a few people have got pulls cleanly and linearly from the bottom, doesn't start first kick but I don't think it ever has on any jetting.

To avoid stalling my options seem to be:

Try different jetting (butI really like it as it is)

Ride 1 gear lower and rev more but this affects my riding - harder to find grip, more on/off the throttle not as smooth and more gear changes as I can't just rev it between corners...

Sell it and get a smaller capacity bike which would need revving more at the same speed so less likely to stall.. but I like the 300 and do use all it's power and also this would cost me $$$/£££

Try different clutch oils, maybe the clutch is a bit abrupt and helps stall it when i'm feeding the clutch out?

Get a rekluse $$$/£££ again and I may not like it....

'95 ish XR630 (died many times in Oz)

Old 12-10-2008, 09:28 AM

Think you should try a 2K3 ignition if you dont have one or a flywheel weight to increase engine inirtia. Or even a Rekluse auto clutch.
Lifes journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body, But rather to skid in sideways totally worn out shouting holy cow what a ride !!!!
Old 12-10-2008, 09:28 AM

give that thing some gas or click it down a gear. It takes more energy to stop and kick it than it does to shift down a gear.
A flywheel weight may be the ticket for your type of riding if you don't have one to reduce stalling
Old 12-10-2008, 09:46 AM

Got the euro ignition and a 14oz flywheel weight, the weight helps smooth things out and enables gear changes on steep hills without loosing traction but I still have this problem..
Old 12-10-2008, 09:53 AM

I'm wondering if a thicker gearbox oil will make for a smoother clutch - less drag and maybe less chance of stalling whan I'm releasing the clutch?
Old 12-10-2008, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stay_upright View Post
I'm wondering if a thicker gearbox oil will make for a smoother clutch - less drag and maybe less chance of stalling whan I'm releasing the clutch?
Go faster, I find I stall it alot when I am going slower. Also try changing your gearing.
Old 12-10-2008, 10:57 AM

Talking

My riding style is much like yours and I hardly ever stall my EC250 but I run my idle speed higher than most people. If your bike is a true EC a faster idle may be all you need. If your bike has the lighter XC ignition adding a flywheel weight should help alot.
Old 12-10-2008, 04:25 PM

Try one of those G2 Throttle cams, my friend had a 300 with one installed and it allows you to tune the throttle response.
It may allow you to run a gear lower so it will eliminate stalling but feed the power on slower to help prevent wheel spin?
Or experment with gearing and throttle cam you might be able to acheive your goal with out the expense of auto clutch, ignition, etc.

Good Luck
Ron
2004 ECDE200
Old 12-10-2008, 06:47 PM
Banned

Start by running your idle speed higher.Do you de clutch alot? I have a 20 year old grape sized callous on my second last finger, clutch lever making contact when de clutching to keep from stalling.Gonna post the pic just for laughs.
Old 12-11-2008, 04:40 AM

Yes I use the clutch a lot, I think it's more stalling when I get back on the power but when you only need a gentle bit of power...

From my experience the 300 is impossible to stall if you keep it in gear with the throttle open. I remember when I first got it and near the top of a hill I was 2 gears too high and couldn't change gear or i'd loose traction and stop I was doing about 5mph in 3rd maybe even 4th I swear the motor must have been doing about 250rpm but pulled me to the top of the hill - very impressive.