Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 06-18-2014, 09:36 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Default Help analyze piston and bore

I pulled my 2012 EC 300 apart for a top end after it's first hundred hours and here is what I found.

The Piston

The Bore

My take is that I probably waited too long on rings but otherwise everything else looks good. I'm not sure what the dark marks on the bore are but you can still see the original crosshatching under them. I'm inclinded to button it back up with a new piston and rings and keep on racking up hours.

Old 06-19-2014, 01:16 AM

Looks like blow by from the rings......would be my guess judging from the pictures.
AMA D36
375X
OTHG
375S

***Thanks for the support : Twin Air /O'Neil Racing / Race 100% / Matrix Concepts / ODI / Mika Metals
Old 06-19-2014, 05:07 AM
Super Moderator

Hows the ring end gap?

The marking on the cylinder is pretty normal and should clean up well with some scotch brites.

Piston dome looks ok. The undersides been a bit warm at some point evident by the oil cooked onto it. Nothing I would worry about though, especially if you did a bit of jetting trial and error along the way.
Old 06-19-2014, 09:29 AM

Ring end gap was 0.032" so .8mm I probably should have changed them out at 50 hours.

I did quite a bit of fiddling with PWK needles and jets and then mounted a Lectron which I haven't messed with quite as much but I have a bit of a problem leaving well enough alone.

Our riding elevation varies from about 2000ft to 13000ft as well so jetting isn't exactly set and forget around here. The plug was a nice chocolate brown so I think my winter settings are pretty good, I'm going to lean the needle a touch since we are into warmer temperatures and higher elevations this time of year and see where that gets me.
Old 06-19-2014, 05:13 PM
Super Moderator

Sounds good, and I hear everything you're saying! Hahah

Max spec on the rings is .9mm, which I managed to achieve once letting an engine go to 110hrs. I find 70-80hrs is about right for me.
Old 06-30-2014, 11:03 AM

Whelp, got her buttoned back up and put a couple hours on the new piston and rings. Everything works swimmingly! Thanks Ya'll

Old 06-30-2014, 11:39 AM

Hey, I know that trail. Calico. Still snow up there huh? Are the trails going to be all clear for the weekend of the 4th?
Old 06-30-2014, 02:47 PM

There were 7 of us who went and shoveled every drift on the west side last saturday. We even made a tunnel!

The week before PAPA was up cutting deadfall. After 70 man hours in the last week everything up there will be clear for the 4th.

If any of ya'll are up there and the is an obstacle in the trail PLEASE do not go around it and braid the trail. The area's travel management plan is up for review this year and there are tons of folks who do not want to see dirt bikes on Calico.

All of the local advocacy groups have been working very hard to show we are good stewards of out public lands.
Old 06-30-2014, 04:29 PM
Super Moderator

Great work all round! Don't know how you blokes deal with what must be freezing conditions though. Madness! Also makes me appreciate how well we have it in regards to access and availability to riding areas.
Old 06-30-2014, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
There were 7 of us who went and shoveled every drift on the west side last saturday. We even made a tunnel!

If any of ya'll are up there and the is an obstacle in the trail PLEASE do not go around it and braid the trail. The area's travel management plan is up for review this year and there are tons of folks who do not want to see dirt bikes on Calico.

All of the local advocacy groups have been working very hard to show we are good stewards of out public lands.
I have been coming up to ride the Rico area for about 5 seasons now. If it is early in the season (July 4th) and we come to a drift that we cannot ride through ON THE TRAIL, we turn back. If we come to a down tree we cannot move or cut, we lift the bikes over the tree ON THE TRAIL.

Trust me, I understand the the importance of being good trail stewards. I see the big picture and the tenuous hold we have on the single track that is still open. It makes no sense to skirt the trail to get your ride in this season, just to see it closed for everyone the following season. I know that some do not "get it".

I have started trying to come up later in the summer to avoid the wet season and the issues with the early season closures due to down trees and snow drifts.

I appreciate all of the effort put forth by the locals to keep the trails open. You guys rock!