Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 07-26-2011, 09:46 PM

Default 6 month old=time to update the bike.

Hey all,

So it turns out having a 6 month old son leaves you with not much time to ride but plenty of time to search the Internet for upgrades for the bike and I'm looking for some advice.

Here is some background

I have a 2003 EC 200. After toying w the idea of selling the bike and looking at what I can get for it.... I decided I am going to keep this bike forever, even when I do decide to upgrade it will make a great buddy bike. So in the mean time I'm thinking upgrades.

#1 foot pegs

I would like either the fastway f3 adjustable or pivot pegz. Anybody have any thoughts on either?

#2 pipe

My bike came with an FMF fatty that has several dents. This is my first two stroke. Is it worth my time to get the dents repaired? Does it make that much difference? I do mostly slow trail riding...would I be happier with a gnarly pipe?

#3 carb

I just took my bike out for the first time this year and when I have the gas on, gas pours out of the back vent hose. Is there a common fix for the other than disassembling and reassembling the carb?

#4 top end

I had a mechanic check compression about 3 hours ride time ago and he said it was fine. Being that i want to keep this bike around for good I will need to be replacing the top end at some point. Should I stockpile a few top end kits? Do I need to be concerned about parts availability going forward? What are the first signs of a weak top end?

#5 tranny oil

My manual says 10w30 what do you all run?

Any other advice you can give to keep my bike running/useful mods would be greatly appreciated.

Great site I've been away for a while but just donated to the cause.

Thanks
Sam

Old 07-27-2011, 05:39 AM
Site Sponsor

#2 pipe
as long as the dents aren't as big as a softball/the basic shape is the same i wouldn't fix it. you are trail riding right?

#3 carb
you probably need to adjust the float height, or possibly your float needle is worn. old gas sitting in carb will gum up float needle and pilot jet. take it apart and clean/reset float height

#4 top end
no need to stockpile. parts availability should be good for a long time, since the bore/piston has stayed the same for well over 10 years. - hard starting/loss of power/low compression is the first sign of worn rings.

#5 tranny oil
a couple of different popular oils: amsoil 0w-40, rotella-t, atf, etc...

Stainless Cycle - Motorcycle Bolt Kits
www.stainlesscycle.com
Old 07-27-2011, 07:57 AM

Location: From Swaziland, Now Hamilton New Zealand the “look but don’t touch” enduro heaven

1 pivot pegz - either love them or hate them! (NB pegs for GG are the same as for YZ)

2 as SS said, if you decide to get a new one protect it with a p3 guard

3 this could help when you re-assemble http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=10173

5 can also use belray gear saver oil
Old 07-27-2011, 08:42 AM

1. I would get the pivot pegs, the fastway pegs cause a lot of boot wear. And if you ride with your feet on the front side of the pegs it is hard to get a good purchase. I have had Fastways and have rode pivots, I prefer the pivots.

2. I would probably look for a Doma pipe that suits your riding style. Pipe guards cost as much as new pipes so i would just have it repaired as need be, this way you will have an extra. Only dents just outside the flange negatively effect performance else where can actually help.

5. Tranny oil= Rotella-t.
Old 07-27-2011, 11:38 AM

As a very long time EC200 owner I would keep it. I have toyed with the idea of departing with mine as well. I think at this point it would be hard to give away just due to it's age, and no market for it out here.

What is wrong with the OEM pegs?? I am still using my OEM pegs, they seem to do a great job with regards to keeping my feet planted where they need to be. I use a file to keep the edges some what sharp.

I am still using my OEM pipe (Messico) which is paper thin, rocks off the front tire can dent the head pipe. I get the dents blown out when the pipe starts to look beat up, or when ever it take a big hit...less than $70 for repairs is cheap compared to a new pipe.

If you keep a fresh filter, run a good premix oil, and take care of the motor it should last you a long time. I don't use an hour meter (wish I did) but I write down all my riding times in my note book to track hours on my bike. I have performed 3 complete topends on my 200 in the last 10 years. I don't ride it like a 125, but more like a 300 and I don't wring it's neck out all day long. The bottom line is, the motors are strong, they don't over heat and are very well put together and if you do what your supposed to do it should last a long time. I would not worry about stocking up on piston kits.

Tranny Oil seems to be a hot topic, everyone has there own idea. I have used only 2 different tranny oils in my bike, one being Spectrol 80wt 2 stroke gear box oil, the other being Motul 2 stroke gear oil, again 1 clutch pack kit in 10 years, that should be a testiment of durability, but it also helps I dont abuse my clutch, I'd rather drop a gear than abuse the clutch.

My EC200 has been the best bike I've ever owned to date. I am not the type of person that needs the lastest bling, or wow factor, just funtional parts to prolong durability. Those being a skid plate and rear rotor guard, that it. A over sized power valve cover might help with low end.
AMA D36
375X
OTHG
375S

***Thanks for the support : Twin Air /O'Neil Racing / Race 100% / Matrix Concepts / ODI / Mika Metals
Old 07-29-2011, 09:27 AM

Thanks for the ideas guys. My bike lived a hard life before I owned it i think and the stock foot pegs are bent and have extreme wear. So I should be able to order any brand pegs for a 03 yz 250 and they should bolt right on?