Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 03-07-2017, 11:31 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

If you have any thought that you will regret not having the latest offering from GG and are willing to pay top dollar I would wait. First year of redesigned bikes have never been to kind to me. If I needed a bike, a good deal on a 17 would be a no brainer. Resale value isn't great, so most likely you'll own it for some time.

Old 03-07-2017, 12:49 PM

I agree with Hamilton, I am currently trying to convince my sponsor (wife) that upgrading to a 17 is the thing to do. Lots of crossover as far as spare from my 13. My local dealer has enticed me with some great out the door pricing on a race ready 17.
New model year bikes make me nervous after my experience with my 12. My 13 has been good and is a solid ride that someone will probably be able to pick up for a very good price.
Old 03-07-2017, 12:58 PM

Great feedback and I love the direction GasGas is heading. I see nothing but positive with the moves being made, and the sneak peaks at the '18's reveals GasGas gets it in terms of what the market demands. The KYB, lighter bike, solid e-start, are all overwhelmingly positive and directly correlate to the biggest issues in today's market offferings.
Old 03-07-2017, 02:12 PM
Bronze Level Site Supporter

Default Waiting

Been tempted by beta sherco and the new yzx but am tight with a dollar so I stay used but am thinking about a newer lighter bike and am waiting to see the gasser If it is what they say it will be I might actually buy a new bike I just hope they change the look but it wont be a deal breaker if they keep the prototype plastics. I most likely will buy the 18 if it comes out really lighter and well suspended. Don't like the idea of a first year bike but .....
Old 03-07-2017, 03:35 PM
Silver Level Site Supporter

I'm not too concerned about it being a first year bike. The motor looks to be much of the same. So no worries there. And the frame and body look very much like the Bimota and Jotagas bike photo's that have been floating around.
I'm sure GG has made a number of changes. But I doubt this is a full out new design from scratch. I have a funny feeling a lot of R&D work was done ahead of time by designers. If it was I'm more than impressed at how fast Torrot/GG scraped a prototype together.
Old 03-07-2017, 04:37 PM
Super Moderator

I wouldn't take forum activity as any indication. From what I have seen across the board (of many forums I frequent; even beyond bikes) is that they are all in decline.

Social media platforms tend to get the bulk of the feeds. Pictures, ride reports, planning rides, etc. I even see just about daily questions of the same old same hold "how do I??" "which xxx is best?" and on it goes.

The other consideration is that we have nutted the gassers out to a large degree. A new member here can easily find solid, informative threads on just about all the common issues, and as such don't necessarily need to be starting new ones with questions.

When a new model rolls, no doubt there will be much more talk, updates, opinions, issues, etc which will get people more involved again (similar to what you see over the betarider at the moment).
Old 03-07-2017, 05:33 PM

I owned a 2010 GG 300 for 5 years - bought new. I liked the bike, but even with a respring/revalve I struggled with the Sachs suspension. QC was also pretty shoddy.

When it was time for a new bike and GG was in the toilet, I bought a 2016 Sherco 300 2t. I have no regrets with the Sherco, it is a very good motorcycle.

I'm looking for a commuter/dual sport and it will likely be a 2017 Beta 390 RR-S. The long stroke motor is very appealing to me. Also, it's road legal out of the box which is also a huge selling feature.

GG looks like it is going in the right direction, and I'd consider buying one again, but not before they update the 2t engine. Looks like that may be coming in 2019. See the Enduro 21 interview with Mika Arpa - page 70:

https://issuu.com/enduro21.com/docs/...66372/45465200
Old 03-08-2017, 09:17 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP4 View Post
I owned a 2010 GG 300 for 5 years - bought new. I liked the bike, but even with a respring/revalve I struggled with the Sachs suspension. QC was also pretty shoddy.

When it was time for a new bike and GG was in the toilet, I bought a 2016 Sherco 300 2t. I have no regrets with the Sherco, it is a very good motorcycle.

I'm looking for a commuter/dual sport and it will likely be a 2017 Beta 390 RR-S. The long stroke motor is very appealing to me. Also, it's road legal out of the box which is also a huge selling feature.

GG looks like it is going in the right direction, and I'd consider buying one again, but not before they update the 2t engine. Looks like that may be coming in 2019. See the Enduro 21 interview with Mika Arpa - page 70:

https://issuu.com/enduro21.com/docs/...66372/45465200
Same here, that being said I'd buy another GG trials bike tomorrow. They do a very good job already with those.
Old 03-08-2017, 04:33 PM

I have owned all of the Japanese bikes at one time or another, and a couple KTM's, and 1 Gas Gas.

I dunno they are all kinda the same, each has their pros and cons. Probably would of bought another GG, but the timing is off...don't want a '17 and can't wait for an '18.

So going to give Beta a go for a couple years. Looked at the Shercos, but no back up kicker was a deal killer. My KTM 505 was kick only and had a couple freak battery failures with it. Had battery terminal shear off...but that is when Lith-ion batteries were kinda new...looked like some dude built it in his garage.

Will keep an eye on GG though and see where they go.
Old 03-08-2017, 11:41 PM

I really want to add a 300 to the stable but I'm going to wait for the 18's. I really dig the Beta and Sherco but my GG has been very good to me. In all honesty any of these new dirt bikes are way better then I'll ever be so it don't bother me if I don't have the best (spec sheet) bike.

In regards to them failing. I'm not to worried about it. I got my GG right before the bankruptcy. These bikes are so simple and there's plenty of aftermarket engine parts/gaskets out there. At the end of the day the only thing that matters is how your bike makes you feel when your out riding or even just staring at it.