Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > Ride Reports

Ride Reports Tell us all the gorey details!

Old 04-08-2013, 10:49 AM

Default 2012 EC 300 E-Start Crash Tested

Looks like the footpegs need upgraded. I mushroomed them in on both sides, not real bad but might as well buy stronger ones if I can. (Do the IMS YZ ones fit?)

Also the brake pedal end mushroomed in. Will the Hammerhead tip bolt pattern match up, their site says fits most KTM models?

Shifter as always weak weak weak, had to bend it out once and at that point I had not even dropped the bike.

Once the bike was jetted and I had some low end and mid range no more drops and the bike ran great. Fuel mileage worked out.

First day we did Slick Rock, Hell's Revenge...not bad for getting to Moab around 4pm. Next day after a late start we went up to Dewey Bridge and meet the guys coming down the Kokopelli and we did Top of The World, down Rose Garden and out Onion Creek. Good test for my GasGas as a rider broke is water pump housing he needed to go back to the Bridge and as we trailered up loaded his bike in. So my brother in-law split and helped him and I rode back to Moab. Bike does great slabbing it.

Saturday after another late start a group of us went to Kanes Springs Canyon and out at 191, then a few went back to camp and we finished up with Steel Bender and into camp which was south to north and involved going up ledges. Bike did the loop on one tank never needed to turn to reserve or add fuel (although I had extra fuel just in case).

The stock Metzler 6-Day rear tire stinks. It's okay, but really bad int he sand. I almost put on the Desert IT I took as a spare, but didn't.

I will say you get a LOT of "what's that"...they make Enduro bikes? And in town when talking to guys and you say you have a Gas Gas they assume Trials bike...LOL I will say the E-Start worked great, no issues...some guys were really impressed and said a KTM e-start be dead how many times I stopped and started waiting for the group or to hear what someone had to say.

I'm happy with what I have and I know its a "race" bike so hence some parts are made thin for weight savings. I'll get all that sorted out in time.

Old 04-08-2013, 01:11 PM

Glad to hear you're enjoying the bike, and like fine wine, they get better with age.

Quote:
Originally Posted by modette View Post
Looks like the footpegs need upgraded. I mushroomed them in on both sides, not real bad but might as well buy stronger ones if I can. (Do the IMS YZ ones fit?) YES

Also the brake pedal end mushroomed in. Will the Hammerhead tip bolt pattern match up, their site says fits most KTM models? 'Fits KTM' does not mean 'fits GasGas' - hole spacing is different

Shifter as always weak weak weak, had to bend it out once and at that point I had not even dropped the bike. If it bends you can bend it back. If it breaks you're SOL

Once the bike was jetted and I had some low end and mid range no more drops and the bike ran great. Fuel mileage worked out.

First day we did Slick Rock, Hell's Revenge...not bad for getting to Moab around 4pm. Next day after a late start we went up to Dewey Bridge and meet the guys coming down the Kokopelli and we did Top of The World, down Rose Garden and out Onion Creek. Good test for my GasGas as a rider broke is water pump housing he needed to go back to the Bridge and as we trailered up loaded his bike in. So my brother in-law split and helped him and I rode back to Moab. Bike does great slabbing it.

The stock Metzler 6-Day rear tire stinks. It's okay, but really bad int he sand. I almost put on the Desert IT I took as a spare, but didn't. As a general rule FIM rears don't do well in sand. Knob height restrictions and lack of side knobs ...

I will say you get a LOT of "what's that"...they make Enduro bikes? And in town when talking to guys and you say you have a Gas Gas they assume Trials bike...LOL I will say the E-Start worked great, no issues...some guys were really impressed and said a KTM e-start be dead how many times I stopped and started waiting for the group or to hear what someone had to say.

I'm happy with what I have and I know its a "race" bike so hence some parts are made thin for weight savings . I'll get all that sorted out in time.
Steven Beane #275
PlusOnePerformance - Superior Service the World Over - Dearborn MI
AMA District 14 (Michigan) Officer

afterhourscycle.com
Michigan's Beta and TM Race Headquarters
Old 04-08-2013, 02:26 PM

You bent the S3 pegs?
Old 04-08-2013, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMP View Post
You bent the S3 pegs?
If that is what is on a stock 2012? Then yes, pictures to come...just been busy. it's okay my brother in-law launched his KTM 300 up a 4 foot step up and tore his left foot peg open....not sure how it tore open but it did.

Not sure why this got put to Ride Reports...now I'll never get help on if pegs fit or if hammerhead brake pedal tip fits...I'm itching to order. Seemed like a General question to me (so don't get mad if I post up in general on pegs or brake pedal...LOL).
Old 04-08-2013, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by modette View Post

Not sure why this got put to Ride Reports...now I'll never get help on if pegs fit or if hammerhead brake pedal tip fits...I'm itching to order. Seemed like a General question to me (so don't get mad if I post up in general on pegs or brake pedal...LOL).
You already did, two posts up.
Steven Beane #275
PlusOnePerformance - Superior Service the World Over - Dearborn MI
AMA District 14 (Michigan) Officer

afterhourscycle.com
Michigan's Beta and TM Race Headquarters
Old 04-08-2013, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
You already did, two posts up.
OPS did not see the bold...my mistake I'm sooo tired from Moab, and just went washer & dryer shopping...LOL

Yeah I did not mean KTM meant GasGAs for the brake pedal fitment. I just meant they both have holes to attach from top and of course they don't say what mm the hole pattern is (you know should it happen to fit on another brand). The OEM is only like $14...guess I'll order a few to have on hand. Can always make one out of steel too, not that hard.

I also see this UK company sells a CNC brake pedal and claims it fits the 2012 Gas Gas: http://www.24mx.com/motocross/p/hole...ake-pedal/510/ Good to know should I bend the whole pedal at some point.

Guess I'll order the YZ Foot pegs leaning towards the bigfoot ones: http://www.imsproducts.com/Products/...=true&tyd=true
Old 04-08-2013, 05:12 PM
Banned

Learned from experience that with enough heat and some patience the brake pedal can be bent back close to it's original shape. I now carry a spare in my bag as I'm afraid the metal might be starting to fatigue from being bent back a few times.

Last edited by desertgasser300; 04-08-2013 at 06:58 PM.
Old 04-08-2013, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgasser300 View Post
Learned from experience that with enough heat and some patience the brake pedal can be back close to it's original shape. I now a spare in my bag as I'm afraid the metal might be starting to fatigue from being bent back a few times.
Yeah I already used heat once on the shifter...but your right pump a lot of heat into it (off the bike and in a vice) and you can easily bend it back. Luckily the brake pedal is fine, the tip bent so I guess it did its job of saving the whole pedal as a whole.
Old 04-08-2013, 06:59 PM
Banned

I need to put a pedal saver on mine before the enduro this coming weekend. This race coming up is a rocky mess, , but oh so good!!
Old 04-08-2013, 07:06 PM
Super Moderator

Rock monster! Sounds like it held up well for the punishment you've been dishing out to it.