Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 08-27-2010, 10:35 AM

Default Clutch question.

EC300 2007

I got a squealing noise from right hand side of bike while riding and it increases with speed. Also low revs the clutch casing was wining.

I took off the clutch cover and inside the cover there is noticable marks where the basket looks like it has been touching.

there does not appear to be excessive movement with the basket although there is some.

Short of new roller bearings and sleeve does any one have ideas?

Would the Basket off my 1998 250 Fit or is that a long shot?

FMF Gnarly

Old 08-27-2010, 01:51 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Your '98 basket should fit. I've been mulling this. If you replace the basket, and still have the squeal, I'd say the side play you may have is the issue. It's easy enough to pull the basket, so take a careful look when you swap it out. Let us know what you find.
OMRA #21AA
What will I be riding next? Christini GG 300?
'15 KTM 300 XC-W
'08 EC 250 (Gone to new happy owner)
Gran Prix Cycle
LTR Suspension
RB-Designs
Old 08-27-2010, 03:07 PM

Thanks roost

In addition to this when revin the bike i have a vibration (which has always been there since i have owned the bike three months ish)

I may remove the basket then bolt the cover back on and start the bike just to see if the vibration is still there or not. I figure if it is not there then the play in the basket/bearings must also be causing the vibrations.

I have the basket out of the 98 it slides on the shaft of the 300 ok and seems to mesh with the gears. The appearance of the two baskets look different and the 98 basket is slightly smaller in diameter although the clutch plates are identical.

The only reservation at this time is that the gears seem to be cut slightly differently they have the same angle cut but the 300 basket seems to be more beefy. if that makes sense.

I ve packed up for the night and will have another look tomorrow,

Its really anoying as i should be riding enduro on monday. i may be riding the 250 if i cant get any joy
FMF Gnarly
Old 09-22-2010, 01:02 AM

Just an update on this issue. I stripped the engine completely and replace all transmission bearings and mains etc (peace of mind)

Measured up the clutch basket and it appeared out of shape and the area where it had been touching the casing was larger.

So i had the basket outer edge machined down untill the basket was true.

It has now been refitted and there is no noise and not touching the sides of the casing.

The strangest thing is if i removed all the bolts from the clutch cover and moved the cover around untill contact was made with the basket the clearance is quite considerable (even before machining) so techincally this is how much the basket must be moving around (about 2-3mm) in order to contact the casing.
I cannot get this kind of movement using a lever on the basket even by pulling the clutch in?

I will continue to use the bike and see what happens in the next few rides as if there is a problem with the basket it will only get worse.
FMF Gnarly
Old 09-22-2010, 05:58 AM

If I remember correctly just a gram or two out of balance at 7,000rpm = about 75lbs of force. Of course it depends how far from center the imbalance is but the force really starts multiplying past 7,000 say 8,000 to 9,000 rpm things really need to be precise. By truing rotating pieces and balancing you will also reduce parasitic drag and wear on the bearings.
Old 09-23-2010, 09:16 AM

Hi,

I have a question too.
Does anybody know if there is a high qualtity after market clutch basket like Barnett or Hinson available?