Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 12-28-2020, 02:56 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Now I have split the cases and the crank is ready for rebuild with a new rod. And of course, a new countersunk M6 bolt

I couldn't get the OEM crank bearings and seals, so I ordered them from a local industrial supply shop (before diamantling the engine). However, when I opened the engine, I found the crank seals to be brown in color. I expect the seals I receive to be black , as are all the other seals in the engine/gearbox.
Does this matter? Are the brown seals of another / better suited material (viton?)

Any insight would be appreciated.

Sent fra min YAL-L21 via Tapatalk

"So you know, that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill" (Little Feat: Old Folks Boogie)

2015 EC200 Racing: TE bars, Rekluse Core Exp 3.0, 38mm Lectron & Ohlins S3 steering damper
2006 EC200: 2011 plastics, Rekluse Z-Start, revalved KYB forks & Scotts steering damper
1998 Bimota Supermono
1986 Duc Mille S2
1975 Guzzi sidecar hack
1961 Morini Corsaro 125
etc

Old 12-28-2020, 07:55 PM

Viton are a little more suited, but I have used generic seals with no issues in the past. Bearing shops are usually much cheaper than standard. Just need to make sure you get the right specification regarding the bearings.
Old 01-14-2021, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasser Nate View Post
Viton are a little more suited, but I have used generic seals with no issues in the past. Bearing shops are usually much cheaper than standard. Just need to make sure you get the right specification regarding the bearings.
My new bearings are NTN brand, same spec (C3 and C4) as OEM.
I will use the "standard industrial grade" seals. I did also discuss it with the professional mechanic who is doing my crank. His comment was: "If that had been a problem, I would have received a lot of claims. I'm using those all the time".
He also offered a bit of advice: To replace the seal behind the flywheel every second time I replace the piston. In his experience, that seal is usually the the first to start leaking after a few years.

The rebuild got a little delayed, as I fell ill during Christmas.
However, I did deliver the crank on Tuesday and expect it back early next week.
I have everything I need in stock (apart from one gasket) so I hope to have the engine back together in one piece within a week or two.

"So you know, that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill" (Little Feat: Old Folks Boogie)

2015 EC200 Racing: TE bars, Rekluse Core Exp 3.0, 38mm Lectron & Ohlins S3 steering damper
2006 EC200: 2011 plastics, Rekluse Z-Start, revalved KYB forks & Scotts steering damper
1998 Bimota Supermono
1986 Duc Mille S2
1975 Guzzi sidecar hack
1961 Morini Corsaro 125
etc
Old 01-15-2021, 02:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
My new bearings are NTN brand, same spec (C3 and C4) as OEM.
I will use the "standard industrial grade" seals. I did also discuss it with the professional mechanic who is doing my crank. His comment was: "If that had been a problem, I would have received a lot of claims. I'm using those all the time".
He also offered a bit of advice: To replace the seal behind the flywheel every second time I replace the piston. In his experience, that seal is usually the the first to start leaking after a few years.

The rebuild got a little delayed, as I fell ill during Christmas.
However, I did deliver the crank on Tuesday and expect it back early next week.
I have everything I need in stock (apart from one gasket) so I hope to have the engine back together in one piece within a week or two.
You will not have an issue with NTN. Quality stuff!
Old 02-05-2021, 01:12 AM

Just to wrap this up:
Things take time. After 7 weeks the bike is back in business (it seems). I started it late Wednesday evening, and rode it 10 minutes in the deep snow yesterday. My original plan was to rebuild it during the christmas vacation, but I fell ill and could't do it. Then, on the new year, I started working again and had no time.
  • When I drained the oil, I found a steel part at the magnet in the drain plug. , I found another one behind the clutch cover. Didn't understand where they came from at fist. When I started mounting the Rekluse clutch, I noticed that the Rekluse tab washer had lost some tabs Getting a new one also took some days.
  • I had the crank rebuild with a ProX rod kit (Gasgas OEM part) by a pro, then did the rest here at home.
  • I put in a new S3/Vertex piston (after 100 hours on the last one)
  • NTN main bearings.
  • Had a long, hard look at the exhaust valve. It didn't move freely. It opened OK, but was hard to close. Cleaned everything and had to file off a sharp edge in the cylinder casting.
  • Replaced all seals and put it back together.

It was due for a winter service anyway, so I
  • replaced a bushing and a couple of bearings in the swingarm, greased all the linkage bearings and replaced some seals there.
  • greased the steering bearings (and found that the lower needs replacement)
  • had the rear Reiger B46 shock rebuilt at Reiger (Netherlands).
  • Took off the Ohlins S3 steering damper / upper triple clamp for service, put in the OEM triple clamp.
  • Replaced the rear brake pads and chain.
  • rebuilt the choke mechanism in the Lectron carb

Took it riding.

1998 Bimota Supermono
1986 Duc Mille S2
1975 Guzzi sidecar hack
1961 Morini Corsaro 125
etc
Old 02-05-2021, 02:27 PM

Good job mate! You will not need to touch that crank again for a very long time.
Old 02-06-2021, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasser Nate View Post
Good job mate! You will not need to touch that crank again for a very long time.
Yes, I hope so.

Sent fra min YAL-L21 via Tapatalk

1998 Bimota Supermono
1986 Duc Mille S2
1975 Guzzi sidecar hack
1961 Morini Corsaro 125
etc